Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 11:30 AM

Specialized Defroster vs Bontrager Old man winter shoes

Shopping for new winter mtb shoes. Want to keep choices to above since both carried in local shops and prefer to buy in person and can get either for +/- a few $. Both seem to fit well for me

Priorities are warmth and snow/water resistant...and long term durability

Have friends with both but short term usage, looking for additional input, especially if the Bontrager Old Man Winter 'slipper' holds up over time

Thanks
Old 12-11-2017, 11:46 AM

i'm on my second set of defrosters

performance wise they're great. i wear them on wet rides in single digit (celcius) temps for their waterproofness with light socks and the boa and cuff cinched down, and on rides down to -10 (again, celcius) in deep snow with thicker socks. they're comfortable and feel stiff and efficient under foot. the high cuff takes a few rides to break in but once it does it feels pretty good. not the best for hike-a-biking but the ridges on the sole work well in really **** conditions for digging into snow or muck

i blew a stich on the flap of my first pair on their first ride. the sole started to fall apart midway through the second season. given the price of these shoes (about $300 cdn) i was pretty disappointed but not surprised - i find it next to impossible to find an mtb shoe that will last more than a year

i found a new pair in my size on blowout for $100 last month - sold! - but if i hadn't, i'd be looking for something else
Old 12-11-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLS View Post
Shopping for new winter mtb shoes. Want to keep choices to above since both carried in local shops and prefer to buy in person and can get either for +/- a few $. Both seem to fit well for me

Priorities are warmth and snow/water resistant...and long term durability

Have friends with both but short term usage, looking for additional input, especially if the Bontrager Old Man Winter 'slipper' holds up over time

Thanks
I used to sell Bontrager and loved the way they fit. I don't however love the quality of them.

I really like the Specialized and have a 44 in the classifieds for trade and maybe sale.

I personally would buy the Specialized.

That said those OMW boots do look nice...
Old 12-11-2017, 04:24 PM

Check out the 45 North Wolvhammer. We have three years on them (not extreme usage) and they still look new.

Everything Bontrager I own starts wearing about after a year.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:40 PM

I've used Defrosters for about 5 years, no complaints, below 25F I use foot warmers. I recommend a half size bigger.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:38 PM

My Defrosters are ten years old and just won't die. I've used them for commuting in the PNW and in the recent years, cold weather gravel grinders. The longest ride in them has been 74 miles and that was earlier this year.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:22 PM

love my defrosters!
did a backpacking trip in Death Valley last year and used them for my walk around shoes
did an 8 mile hike in them without a problem
have had them for the last three years and they're in great shape.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:37 PM

Probably not what you're looking for but I recently got Lake MXZ200

Since they do not come in a wide, and I want to wear thicker socks, I sized up quite a bit - went to a 45 when really I'm more like a 43.5
Old 12-14-2017, 06:41 PM

Took the plunge today with the 2018 Defroster trail. Nice that it came in half sizes; went with a 44.5 for my 45/10.5 road sidi sizing, up a bit for winter weight socks

The Trek OMW were close but concerned about the slipper/outer boot format and zipper stuck on both pair I tried on. Sizing was a 46 in these

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited by TBLS; 12-14-2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Corrected size
Old 12-14-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLS View Post
Took the plunge today with the 2018 Defroster trail. Nice that it came in half sizes; went with a 45 for my 10.5 road sidi sizing, up a bit for winter weight socks

The Trek OMW were close but concerned about the slipper/outer boot format and zipper stuck on both pair I tried on. Sizing was a 46 in these

Thanks for the feedback
Nice

I wonder if they always came in half sizes for the middle sizes and when I bought mine they just had full sizes? Anyway enjoy those, the new ones look great.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:35 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

For those looking into the same question: the Lake 145s are not insulated, but are wind and water proof.

Lake 303s ARE insulated and wind and water proof.

I have a pair of 145s that are fine *for me* for a while into the 20s. I run warm, however.

I wear a 43 in the road/CX shoe as well as the 145/303

M