Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 12:05 PM

And a running option with Zwift

Just getting set up on Zwift...will be using a stone age Cyclops fluid trainer and an ANT+ dongle for my laptop to get speed information from my Garmin sensor.

And I picked up a Garmin foot pod, will be using that on my treadmill when I'm not riding inside, or eating pizza.

I believe a single Zwift account covers both riding and running...
Old 12-14-2017, 03:10 PM
Cat 1 Freckles

Thought I'd share a protip I recently discovered that might help out some fellow zwifters - I keep my spare bedroom/zwift room cold to save heat and because I'll just overheat during the workout anyway. However, there's always the 10min warmup period when I first hop on, when I'm freezing if I already have the fan going.

I hated interrupting my workout 10min into my ride every time to clamber off the bike and switch the fan on.. until I found smart power outlets on Amazon that you can control over an app. Now it's just a tap of the phone when I get warm and the fan is up and running, plus they're only $15 or so.

Also happily recommend the Apple TV 4k zwift app, I used a laptop for the longest time and switched with a cheap tv purchase over black friday. It's much more immersive and interesting!
Old 12-14-2017, 03:13 PM
Cat 1 Freckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Just getting set up on Zwift...will be using a stone age Cyclops fluid trainer and an ANT+ dongle for my laptop to get speed information from my Garmin sensor.

And I picked up a Garmin foot pod, will be using that on my treadmill when I'm not riding inside, or eating pizza.

I believe a single Zwift account covers both riding and running...
Zwift does cover both - you just need to make sure the footpod transmits bluetooth. FWIW - I'm a huge fan of zwift cycling, but running on a treadmill at the gym with zwift running on my phone thats propped in a cupholder and not at eye-level just isn't a fantastic experience. YMMV, but after the first couple trial runs, I found myself back to just listening to music while running.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casparwhittey View Post
Thought I'd share a protip I recently discovered that might help out some fellow zwifters - I keep my spare bedroom/zwift room cold to save heat and because I'll just overheat during the workout anyway. However, there's always the 10min warmup period when I first hop on, when I'm freezing if I already have the fan going.

I hated interrupting my workout 10min into my ride every time to clamber off the bike and switch the fan on.. until I found smart power outlets on Amazon that you can control over an app. Now it's just a tap of the phone when I get warm and the fan is up and running, plus they're only $15 or so.
That's a high tech (and reverse) solution of what I do: start with the fan on, put on a hoodie, remove after warmup .
Old 12-14-2017, 03:28 PM
Cat 1 Freckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaco View Post
That's a high tech (and reverse) solution of what I do: start with the fan on, put on a hoodie, remove after warmup .
Haha! - yeah I started with that approach, but I got tired of washing my hoodie!
Old 12-14-2017, 04:07 PM

i ride a kurt kinetic fluid trainer and stare at my wall
Old 12-14-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Zwift does cover both - you just need to make sure the footpod transmits bluetooth. FWIW - I'm a huge fan of zwift cycling, but running on a treadmill at the gym with zwift running on my phone thats propped in a cupholder and not at eye-level just isn't a fantastic experience. YMMV, but after the first couple trial runs, I found myself back to just listening to music while running.
Just for home use...my treadmill sits next to my trainer. TV and fan face the setup. I'll put a MacBook Air with HDMI connection and Garmin dongle under the TV for use with Zwift...

When I'm on the road, in a hotel gym, I usually just watch the talking heads on the screen in front of the treadmill...or run outside!
Old 12-14-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:

nice! solid idea. I have a similar environment. lately it's been so cold that I don't even turn the fan on though!
Old 12-14-2017, 04:34 PM
Cat 1 Freckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Just for home use...my treadmill sits next to my trainer. TV and fan face the setup. I'll put a MacBook Air with HDMI connection and Garmin dongle under the TV for use with Zwift...
Awesome! I'm interested to hear how you like it, that's a sweet setup. That's the exact use case I think it might be really cool for.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:42 PM

One more question for the well informed. Looks like Trainer Road can easily handle multiple users (if you pay for the premium package). Do Zwift and Rouvy allow the same? Am thinking that my wife may want intermittent use of the setup . . . Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2017, 03:06 PM

I do not believe that Zwift allows multiple user profiles for a single account.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:53 PM

Rouvy does allow multiple users under the premium although it is a hassle to setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I do not believe that Zwift allows multiple user profiles for a single account.
I believe this is accurate. My wife uses it a few times a week and has her own account, I didn't see any way around it.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydhest View Post
One more question for the well informed. Looks like Trainer Road can easily handle multiple users (if you pay for the premium package). Do Zwift and Rouvy allow the same? Am thinking that my wife may want intermittent use of the setup . . . Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just wondering where you found info about TrainerRoad handling multiple users with one account? I've been using the app for a while now but wasn't aware that was an option!
Old 12-29-2017, 10:15 AM

If it's in the budget get a smart trainer and apple TV for Zwift.