Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2019, 08:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

Kittel quits mid season

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/05/marc...d-of-contract/
Old 05-09-2019, 09:05 AM

Very curious behavior, especially amid all the rumors. Sad to see from someone who was so dominant a few years back. Hopefully he's able to get through whatever rough patch he's having and figure it all out. Whether or not he returns to cycling is secondary.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:17 AM
what's a little rust?

I don’t think Lefevere’s dinosaur hide is going to work for an athlete who needs a hug.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
...Hopefully he's able to get through whatever rough patch he's having and figure it all out. Whether or not he returns to cycling is secondary.
Second that. The life of a sprinter has got to be seriously intense.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:05 AM

It is a shame but it sounds like trouble has been brewing for awhile. Hopefully Kittel can sort out what is going on but I have a feeling that his winning years may be past.

Not to be snarky, but Trek Segafredo may be a good option for him. May take some pressure off both him and Degenkolb.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:41 AM

i would guess he's completely burnt out.
after the several years of big success, a year of illness and just a couple minor wins, another tough early season this year... a couple accusations that he was enjoying too much wine and been instead of training, possibly mono/Epstein-Barr or other undiagnosed illness. maybe just didn't really care any more?
Old 05-11-2019, 07:53 AM

That’s a tough transition. In my mind, sprinters are like NFL running backs, having about 3-4 years of peak performance. Some are able to transition to roles as lead out men, super domestique, other roles, and some can’t; a top end sprinter needs a top end ego.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:00 PM

IMO the dude just turned off, the problem with sprinters is that the life expectancy is really short compared with a grand tour rider. 5 - 7 and that's it, he has been fading in the last 2 years, they get their pick (sp) which is like 2 years and then they are done for. Max-man IMO is one of the ones that lasted with longest but this thin with the blond german independently of the personal problems he might have IMO is more due to life expectancy of a sprinter than nothing else.

Remember Kittel was more like a TT guy but I imagine they turned him at some point into a sprinter since the speed and power was already there, more money aswell I imagine...

This same idea has me thinking about sagan, how long he will last... he is like at the limit of life expectancy aswell, but sagan is a different type of rider but either way...
Old 08-23-2019, 09:45 AM

Just read in a German magazine that he calls it quits for good.
"I lost all motivation to torture myself any further".
Old 08-23-2019, 09:53 AM

https://www.france24.com/en/20190823...t-from-cycling

Announcement here:

Quote:
2019-08-23

Dear friends, fans and companions,

I would like to tell you all today that I am ending my career as a pro cyclist.

I have thought long and hard about this decision and discussed it with my closest friends and my family.

This decision process has not been a quick one, but has taken place over a longer time: During my nearly 20 year sports career there have been not only incredible successes but also difficult times. I have always been one to openly question and reflect when such things happen, so that I can learn and become better. That, together with the people around me, has made me the successful athlete that I now am, but this method has also taught to leave my old ways and learn new ones. I know that there is much more than just sport, for example my own future family.

Recently the thought on this future without cycling has grown, as has the awareness of the sacrifices that such a beautiful but also very difficult sport like cycling brings with it. The biggest question of the last few months was: Can I and do I want to continue to make the sacrifices needed to be a world-class athlete? And my answer is: No, I do not want that any more, because I have always found the limitations on a top athlete as an increasing loss of quality of life. That is why I have a very happy and proud that at this point in my life I can make the decision to follow my heart in a new direction.

At this point I would like to thank all the people who have supported me in my career: my former teammates, my trainers, my friends, and my family, but above all my fans for the incredible support in the last few years.

I look forward to the future with much anticipation.

Yours,
Marcel

Last edited by fiamme red; 08-23-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:55 AM
Classics Fan

That's too bad, he was a great talent. The highlight of his career, for me anyway, was when he fought Rocky.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:06 AM

"As a cyclist, you are on the road for 200 days of the year. I didn't want to watch my son grow up via Skype."

Total respect for the man.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:11 AM

I hope he finds happiness in whatever's next.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
"as a cyclist, you are on the road for 200 days of the year. I didn't want to watch my son grow up via skype."

total respect for the man.
+1000
Old 08-23-2019, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
"As a cyclist, you are on the road for 200 days of the year. I didn't want to watch my son grow up via Skype."

Total respect for the man.
Good for him.

My dad was around all the time when I was a kid. He and I were best friends right up till the end. Can't get that time back.