Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2019, 08:38 PM
coffee consumer

OT: Pappy 25---would you take a shot?

Here the Alabama Beverage Control board -- ABC --- pretty much controls the inflow of liquor/wine to our area...Its a racquet, that's just how it is. For years when Pappy 25 was released, folks would camp out for a chance to buy a bottle for $300-$400 (limit 2) at 4 different stores across the state. Well, obviously working folks got fed up, so now ABC is doing a 'lottery' and you have to drive to Montgomery to make your purchase at a specified date/time. Of course, there's quite a few of other limited releases (mostly bourbons and ryes) but I'm thinking 'go big or go home' and score a bottle Pappy 25. Of course, ABC is thinking the same thing too....they've published the price for Pappy at $1869.22----I begrudgingly pay the $37 when I get a bottle of Basil when I know my buddy gets in in Kentucky for $25 or so.

Also, even if you do get picked for the lottery and you're up for the price, there's also the chance you may not get a bottle of Pappy 25, you're just committed to buying a bottle from a certain special release category --- most are $60-$80. Pretty dang hard to get your hands on a bottle of Pappy, even if you've got that sort of cash. Soooo.....do you or don't you throw your name in the hat?
Old 08-03-2019, 08:51 PM

I have a doctor friend who had 4 bottles of pappy 20. One night we both drank about 8 ounce each. It was a fun night.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:11 PM

No, I wouldn't throw my name in the hat, I'd move to another state.

While loading up the car and saying goodbye to friends, I'd remind myself that most whiskies and whiskeys are optimal with around 14-18 years of aging. I've tasted both the 15 year old and 20 year old Pappy's, and Pappy is no exception. I'd buy Pappy 15 all the time if I could find it...

Last edited by dgauthier; 08-03-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:32 PM

https://www.thekitchn.com/buying-liq...private-141292

The first group of beverage control states is easy to recognize. This group prohibits the sale of liquor in private stores, limiting it to government-owned outlets only:

Alabama
Idaho
New Hampshire (sold tax-free, attracting many out-of-state customers)
North Carolina (stores are run by individual counties and cities)
Pennsylvania
Utah
Virginia
Washington
The second group of beverage control states might be harder to spot at the retail level. This group permits the sale of liquor in privately owned stores, getting involved instead on the wholesale/distributor end of things, effectively setting minimum prices and determining product selection statewide:

Iowa
Maine
Michigan
Mississippi
Montana
Ohio
Oregon
Vermont
What
West Virginia
We should mention too, that in addition to the states in these two major groups, there are a few states in which liquor stores are only government-run in a few areas, or are run by individual municipalities:

Maryland (government-run stores in 4 counties only)
Minnesota (some municipalities run their own liquor stores)
South Dakota (some municipalities run their own liquor stores

Government. Liquor. Money. Put them all together, and you can expect a little controversy. Many Alcoholic Beverage Control States are under pressure to privatize their operations, stirring up much contention and debate. Here are some of frequently used arguments, both for and against privatization.

Pros of Privatization

Those in favor of privatization in Alcoholic Beverage Control States often argue that privatizing government-owned distributorships and/or stores would lead to:

Competitive pricing
Convenience: More stores in more neighborhoods.
Choice: A greater variety of brands and types of spirits will become available for purchase. If a state-run monopoly chooses not stock a certain product, that product will be unavailable statewide.
Profits for the state: Sales of state-run distributorships to private companies would reduce state operating costs and create large cash windfalls.

Cons of Privatization

Opponents of privatization argue that diminished government control would lead to:

Compromised public safety: Some studies indicate that privatization leads more underage drinking and an increase in alcohol-related deaths (see link below).
Loss of profit for the state: While the sale of government-operated stores and/or distributorships to private businesses would generate short-term profit, a considerable amount of revenue could be lost in the long-run.
Job loss: Unionized government workers would be laid off.

Last edited by pbarry; 08-03-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:40 PM

Pappy 25 is great, the best bourbon I've had. But you can get 90% of the quality for one tenth the price with other brands.

In other words, no, it ain't worth it. Spend too much to get the ounce and a half at a bar for a special occasion, don't bother with the bottle.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:57 PM

Had to google this one, looks interesting to try....
Old 08-03-2019, 09:58 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
The first group of beverage control states is easy to recognize. This group prohibits the sale of liquor in private stores, limiting it to government-owned outlets only: <snip>

Washington

<snip>
The State of Washington got out of the liquor business a number of years ago and now allows private sales of spirits. Our Liquor Control Board does the administration of the liquor laws and is not involved in the business of selling alcohol on any level. The same group of fun guys does the same for the cannabis business too.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:41 PM
v a n i l l a

I think you mean PVW 23, not 25. The 25 is super rare and easily 5 figures after market.

Pricing is what it is. Do not buy anything you cannot afford.

There is no point in thinking that one ounce pour just cost me $70 if you really do not love it.

PVW is no longer S-W and all BT now. still great, but it's not legacy. Has the 23 crossed over to BT yet?

Agreed the 15yo is the taste / price winner. Older bourbons are really soft, same as single malt.

Me? I would put my name in the hat. Be great to have to share with friends on special occasions.

LBS had the Basil for $23...meh. I like Eagle rare 10 and EH Taylor small batch as my dailies....

Last edited by pdmtong; 08-03-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:50 PM

Not 25 but one of the best work surprises was when I was climbing around the penthouse / roof of a building in Long Island City Queens a few years ago doing work for a developer that just bought the property. I nearly tripped over a bottle on the floor and looked down and saw what it was. I was with the site super and said oh I see you’ve been enjoying yourself up here is this yours? “Is not mine. I have no idea” in heavy Ukrainian accent (ie I drink vodka only ) I recognized it and asked if it was fine to take which he said yes I don’t want this brown swill. Anyways, full bottle of Pappy 20 which I stumbled across on a roof of an abandoned building in Queens. I am guessing the developers threw a little party on the roof when they acquired the property and I was the lucky one that went the day after and found the stray bottle.
It was quite a bourbon. Worth the going price? ($800 at that point in time) No probably not. But I sure enjoyed it with friends and took it for New year’s and finished it off with the lady. Don’t think that will ever happen again.

Here was the Pappy alongside a few more pedestrian bourbons just before it was finished.

https://flic.kr/p/BTwHjm
Old 08-04-2019, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
https://www.thekitchn.com/buying-liq...private-141292

The first group of beverage control states is easy to recognize. This group prohibits the sale of liquor in private stores, limiting it to government-owned outlets only:

Alabama
Idaho
New Hampshire (sold tax-free, attracting many out-of-state customers)
North Carolina (stores are run by individual counties and cities)
Pennsylvania
Utah
Virginia
Washington

The second group of beverage control states might be harder to spot at the retail level. This group permits the sale of liquor in privately owned stores, getting involved instead on the wholesale/distributor end of things, effectively setting minimum prices and determining product selection statewide:

Iowa
Maine
Michigan
Mississippi
Montana
Ohio
Oregon
Vermont
What
West Virginia
We should mention too, that in addition to the states in these two major groups, there are a few states in which liquor stores are only government-run in a few areas, or are run by individual municipalities:

Maryland (government-run stores in 4 counties only)
Minnesota (some municipalities run their own liquor stores)
South Dakota (some municipalities run their own liquor stores

As far as Washington is concerned it doesn't appear to be the case anymore. I was in a QFC (supermarket) and noticed an isle stocked with hard liquor amid the aisles of wine.

W.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:53 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Pappy 25 is great, the best bourbon I've had. But you can get 90% of the quality for one tenth the price with other brands.

In other words, no, it ain't worth it. Spend too much to get the ounce and a half at a bar for a special occasion, don't bother with the bottle.
if you cannot afford it or do not want to afford it then pass. if that $1600 is in your budget and you would appreciate being able to own it and drink at will then buy put your name in the hat.

A $1600 will sell for 3x at a bar. over simplifying 3 x $1600 = $5,000 divide by 25 one ounce pours that's $200 each.

So for the bar price of 8 pours, you could own the bottle.

the bigger issue is when you have a bottle that you paid that much, it make most people hesitant to enjoy it. so they own it and just look at it because they are worried about finishing it, which is counter -intuitive but the reality since most bottles like that no one will ever be able to buy again. make no mistake thoguh - not life changing. do you have some friends you could split the bottle with?

I was in Alabama for the first time last June (Birmingham). The ABC store idea was really strange to me, and this after I got over the nuances in NH, GA and Oregon.

I did go to Top Golf and eat at Highlands. I wish I could have made it out to that place where it was a reconverted factory with a brewery. forgot the name.

Here, one can buy beer, wine and distilled spirits in a grocery store or a liquor store. Of course prices are all over the place but you can buy anywhere at anytime.

Last edited by pdmtong; 08-04-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:29 PM

Allocated bourbon enthusiasts are so weird.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:18 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Allocated bourbon enthusiasts are so weird.
easy to say if you have a veritable bunker of unobtanium
Old 08-05-2019, 07:37 AM
coffee consumer

well, mf GF and I decided to put our names in the hat and if we're fortunate to score a bottle or two of PVW (they list it as PVW25 on the ABC website), we're gonna flip and take a vacation or something.

pdmtong - we've got 2-3 breweries here that run in old converted factories/warehouses...Good People and Back Forty --- go to GP for beers, go to BF for food. There's a few others here, but those are the most accomodating.

adampaiva - great stories make bourbons so much better!
Old 08-05-2019, 11:05 AM

Here in VA it's all run by the ABC and they do online lotteries for the small allotment whiskies. If you're picked they will send your bottle to whichever ABC store you designate, so at least you don't have to drive very far. Of course, I've put my name in for a bunch of lotteries but have never gotten picked. Odds are total crap. The entire state will get sometimes a half-dozen bottles, sometimes 300 bottles depending what it is, and always thousands of entries. Odds range from a small fraction of a percent to maybe 1-2% for the less rare/in-demand bottles.

A few years ago we had a governor who seemed well on the way towards privatizing the liquor stores. Then he got caught up in some corruption scandal involving him and/or his wife receiving gifts from their home re-modeler who was also bidding on state contracts, something like that. Got convicted but later had it overturned in federal court. Too late, momentum towards liquor privatization was lost and it remains in the clutches of the state bureau-cleptocracy.

I would have no better shot at limited release bottles with private liquor stores; it's more about price & selection for the daily dram type stuff. My office is up in MD where there is a wider selection (although it may require visiting multiple stores) and pretty consistently ~25% lower prices.
Near my in-laws' place in IL they sell booze in Costco. I about crapped myself when I walked down that aisle, everything they stock was priced 30-40% lower than in VA. The ABC is a total racket.