Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2019, 12:57 PM

we absolutely will never colonize another planet. this place is weird? try the instant pot forum.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:59 PM

Yes we are screwed. I envision some kind of "12 Monkeys" like future where we have retreated to a bleak existence underground. Or we gradually embrace technology to the point that we transition to a virtual consciousness species in a virtual state that doesn't need to eat or breathe air. Either way, I don't want to be around for it.

I don't worry too much about the enviro impact of my cycling habits and equipment. Most of it is pretty harmless aside from the inputs and industrial processes that went into making the frames and parts in the first place. I don't use any Co2 inflators or single-use gels as that is all bonkers and completely wasteful. As usual, most of those things are rooted in ego-driven competitiveness used as an excuse to consume.

One of the main changes for the positive in cycling has been moving from a huge city to a small one. I used to put my bike on the car and drive 45+ mins each way to get to the type of cycling I liked to do - on quiet rural roads. Despite living on an island, I now access nearly all the riding I do right out my door. I do sometimes incorporate the car in trips - into the States and whatnot - but that's rare.

A lot of cyclists travel a lot in the pursuit of a great ride or tour. I see lots about S&S coupled/travel on bikes and how they open up travel opportunities. A small package makes air travel-based cycle tourism cheaper and ostensibly easier to do more frequently. I think that is something to think about for the globetrotting cyclotourists out there. How many flights are you doing per year that are cycling-motivated? Perhaps one of the most environmentally-friendly choices we can make as cyclists could be to focus on your immediate surroundings, live a locally-scaled life and be content with that.

KJ
Old 07-16-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
we absolutely will never colonize another planet. this place is weird? try the instant pot forum.
Now it makes sense , definitely weird.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
this place is weird? try the instant pot forum.
lol
Old 07-16-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
“How many minutes at high pressure to cook a completely frozen 4 lb hunk of hotdogs?”
Old 07-16-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
-old tires? admittedly i just throw them out - is there something better i can be doing with these?
I wait until I have several and then take them to a locally-owned auto tire shop. they always accept them with no issue.

not sure what the eventual fate of used tires is...have heard some of it is used for road base or as fuel for cement kilns.

either beats just going to a landfill.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
I wait until I have several and then take them to a locally-owned auto tire shop. they always accept them with no issue.

not sure what the eventual fate of used tires is...have heard some of it is used for road base or as fuel for cement kilns.

either beats just going to a landfill.
you know, my neighbor just got his flower beds filled with this manmade rubber mulch stuff. it's pretty nice and should last forever i would think - i wonder if they make that stuff out of tires? maybe the steel belts prevent that though, at least in car tires?

edit: just looked - yes, car tires can be recycled into rubber mulch. that's a decent use if so.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:01 PM

AQUOTE=Seramount;2566815]I wait until I have several and then take them to a locally-owned auto tire shop. they always accept them with no issue.

either beats just going to a landfill.[/QUOTE]

Some tires are ground up into crumb rubber that is used to soften artificial turf. Unfortunately the chemicals found in crumb rubber are believed to be responsible for the increased cancer rates among young female soccer goalies.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post

Biggest impact changes a cyclist could make:
Don't fly
No carbon fiber
No chainlubes that use evaporating carriers
No Co2
Sorry, I cannot ride without exhaling CO2.

P.S. I knew what you meant.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Just got one. Which forum?
Old 07-16-2019, 08:52 PM

NPR Content, Beware ;)

Pretty cool thinking outside the box. Global shipping accounts for 3% of CO2 emissions and is projected to contribute 15% by 2050. Hydrogen powered ship built with off-the-shelf parts:
https://www.npr.org/2019/07/16/71669...arbon-shipping
Old 07-16-2019, 09:04 PM

I just read an article about cemetery crowding and lack of space for burials in the UK, within the next ~5 years. So, some expert has put forward a proposal: bury the dead alongside British motorways, as "compost".

Bury bodies along UK's motorways to ease burial crisis, expert suggests
Old 07-16-2019, 09:33 PM

There is a movement in the U.S. for “natural” burial. No embalming and at most a lightweight wood box. Hard to argue with the thought behind it, but some of the folks who encourage it are mad at the funeral home industry and are kinda hard to talk with because of the anger at the burial industrial complex.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:56 PM

Here are some solutions to help achieve "Drawdown", the point in the future when levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere stop climbing and then start to steadily decline:

https://www.drawdown.org/solutions-summary-by-rank

Many of these can be adopted right away, like LED lights throughout your house, reduced food waste, plant rich diet, recycling, composting, etc.

Last edited by fa63; 07-16-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
There is a movement in the U.S. for “natural” burial. No embalming and at most a lightweight wood box. Hard to argue with the thought behind it, but some of the folks who encourage it are mad at the funeral home industry and are kinda hard to talk with because of the anger at the burial industrial complex.
Or: Tower of Silence!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Silence