Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2019, 08:49 PM

^^ Well done! I wanna be on the school bus.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93svt96 View Post
I have no doubt some day we will be inhabitants of another planet.
I'm much less optimistic. The cosmic radiation on just a 8 month trip to Mars will fry your brain let alone the fact there will still be no real protection on the Martian surface.
The Apollo astronauts had to deal with only a few days exposure. The astronauts in the ISS still have the same protection of the Earth's magnetosphere that keep high energy charged particles from bombarding us daily. They just have a little less because of their altitude.
Mars has no magnetosphere therefore there's no protection from cosmic radiation on the surface. The only way to block most cosmic radiation is with water or lead. Both pretty darn heavy to send into space. You can always live underground but those are some mighty big holes to dig on another planet.
We'll never see another planet terraformed in our lifetime .
Old 07-15-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I'm much less optimistic. The cosmic radiation on just a 8 month trip to Mars will fry your brain let alone the fact there will still be no real protection on the Martian surface.
The Apollo astronauts had to deal with only a few days exposure. The astronauts in the ISS still have the same protection of the Earth's magnetosphere that keep high energy charged particles from bombarding us daily. They just have a little less because of their altitude.
Mars has no magnetosphere therefore there's no protection from cosmic radiation on the surface. The only way to block most cosmic radiation is with water or lead. Both pretty darn heavy to send into space. You can always live underground but those are some mighty big holes to dig on another planet.
I understand, I think we can eventually figure it out. If not mars somewhere else. We have some incredibly smart people and tech just keeps going.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I understand, I think we can eventually figure it out. If not mars somewhere else. We have some incredibly smart people and tech just keeps going.
Can those incredibly smart people figure out how to save our planet?
Old 07-15-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Past the point of no return
Old 07-15-2019, 10:21 PM

Not quite there yet (to the best of the scientific community's ability to predict), but we are headed that way quickly.

Quote:
Past the point of no return
Old 07-15-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Interstellar travel is not possible because of the distances and the most inhospitable place on earth is better than the most hospitable place on Mars or Venus or the moons of Jupiter and Saturn. We are stuck here.

With Africa set to triple its population to four billion by the end of the century we are pretty much screwed. Unless a good plague comes along then we are headed towards scenes from the movie Children of Men.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Counterpoint: The Fantastic Four were created by inadequate shielding in their spaceship to protect against cosmic rays. Maybe we'll all just get superpowers instead of, you know, leukemia.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Counterpoint: The Fantastic Four were created by inadequate shielding in their spaceship to protect against cosmic rays. Maybe we'll all just get superpowers instead of, you know, leukemia.
That is too dang funny !
Old 07-16-2019, 06:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post

The Apocalypse is nigh
Doomsday preppers aren't all that wrong altho when the SHTF, it will collapse pretty quickly and the human race will get what it deserves. Somebody mentioned 'political will' and 'Mars'..We have a guy sitting in the big chair who said climate change was a Chinese hoax..going to Mars is another way to have this same guy pump up his ego on twitter(Space Force? OMFG). For him, it's all about $ and 'winning', even tho neither makes any sense in the long run, when it comes to SURVIVAL...

We(humans) seem to be on a slightly better path..good thing POTUS is term limited..now just get that for the rest of government(including SCOTUS)..

As has been mentioned..population is the problem..water will be the next 'thing' fought over...I predict a real, large pandemic..that 'might' be the human race's salvation...
Old 07-16-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
if they actually did figure out a way, people would probably question the science and call it a hoax
Old 07-16-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Don't underestimate mother nature. For example, half the human population could be wiped out by a superbug.
Nature doesn't really work that way. Unless the bug is designed by man for that purpose..... its not something to worry about.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:26 AM

I'll be long dead before any of this matters.

On the opinion continuum between "Total farce and OMG we need to do something right now!" I'm somewhere in the middle.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
Nature doesn't really work that way. Unless the bug is designed by man for that purpose..... its not something to worry about.
Overuse of antibiotics is leading to drug resistant viruses. One of those bad boys turns deadly, it could get ugly.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Easiest way will probably be the Zeta Beam that brought Adam Strange from an archaelogical dig site in South America to the planet Rann. There, he's a champion of the people and defender against all threats with his jetpack and laser gun. He now flip flops back and forth with no control over when it happens. Again, like a terrible version of Quantum Leap, only pre-dating Quantum Leap by about 4 decades.