Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-28-2019, 01:07 PM
v a n i l l a

Bike paths, MUTs and the GGB are dangerous places to ride. Besides slowing down, always need to expect the completely unexpected, especially if the other rider is riding a beater, rental or most telling, pedaling on the arch of their foot not the ball of their foot. The best one? suddenly stopping to take a picture! Gotta expect that - GGB is a tourist spot.

Pedaling on the arch of the foot is a dead giveaway to rider experience which translates into completely unpredictable behavior.

But, even experienced cyclists are guilty of idiocy. Some years ago my daughter and I are riding across the GGB, she is in front of me so I can see over her and call out instructions (she was 10yo). I am unclipped and we are soft pedaling, because hey, riding across the bridge is fun and views are great. some woman in full kit come sup behind us yelling to get out of her way. we don't yield. she is pissed goes by yelling. Not 30 seconds later she is on the deck wrapped up with a tourist. it was all I could do not to make some comment as we rode past.

People generally think they are invincible or untouchable, that is until they aren't. The sad thing is generally some innocent gets impacted by their selfishness.