Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2024, 09:53 AM

The Pros Closet is this legit?

I found a really good price on an Ultegra Di2 derailleur at The Pros Closet.
Its says it is new open box, not covered by manufacturers warranty.
If I want to return I have to pay for shipping both ways.
I have read some really bad reviews on this company shipping items that were not working as described and then customers having problems returning it. So I am hesitant and I can buy it elsewhere new for about $25 more. Thanks for any input.
Old 08-14-2024, 09:58 AM
Administrator

I would not buy an electronic part with no warranty coverage that I had to pay to ship to return, when I could get the same part for $25 more through legit channels.

The savings is not worth the risk.
Old 08-14-2024, 10:07 AM

I bought a vintage rear derailleur from TPC. What arrived was not what was pictured. It was what they said it was (the model) but it was in visibility worse condition and wasn't the same RD in the photos. That's the first and last lesson I ever got from them.
Old 08-14-2024, 10:10 AM

In my experience, it's been easy to have TPC send a return label at their expense for any issue.
Old 08-14-2024, 10:28 AM
n - 1

$25?? Get it new somewhere else.

TPC’s CS seems good, though (pretty fast response). But during the middle of the pandemic (late 2021), with bike shortages, I inquired about a frame I wanted to sell. They threw a Pennies on dollar (lowest of lowball) offer, which I promptly declined. Left a bad taste in my mouth. I understand they’re a business. But it felt like I was dealing with a used car dealership.
Old 08-14-2024, 12:10 PM

Shimano offers 2 years on new parts as a warranty through authorized channels. I'd say worth it to spend a lil more and have that.
Old 08-14-2024, 12:13 PM

failure rate of newer gen components are negligible so by all means get it open box. make sure to buy it with a credit card so if something happens you can always chargeback in case they tell you to go fk yourself.
Old 08-14-2024, 12:18 PM

I am assuming the Shimano warranty is not valid if you purchase from Overseas shop such as Gambacicli in Italy? To buy from a US dealer is substantially more for for a freakin front derailleur so I may just forget about the warranty.
Old 08-14-2024, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
I am assuming the Shimano warranty is not valid if you purchase from Overseas shop such as Gambacicli in Italy? To buy from a US dealer is substantially more for for a freakin front derailleur so I may just forget about the warranty.
Can't speak for shimano parts from them but I thought gambacicli was a legit operation selling some high zoot frames as well.
Old 08-14-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Can't speak for shimano parts from them but I thought gambacicli was a legit operation selling some high zoot frames as well.
I have never ordered from them but consider them to be legit and would not hesitate. It is hard to decipher the warranty language but in many places I see warranty is only valid in country that item is purchased.
Old 08-14-2024, 04:12 PM

The store is only about an hour drive for me. I sold my Cinelli Superstar to them. I also bought two SRAM Force AXS rim brake groups from them in 2020. They were new in the box. I've still got one of those RDs on a bike.
Old 08-14-2024, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
I found a really good price on an Ultegra Di2 derailleur at The Pros Closet.
Its says it is new open box, not covered by manufacturers warranty.
If I want to return I have to pay for shipping both ways.
I have read some really bad reviews on this company shipping items that were not working as described and then customers having problems returning it. So I am hesitant and I can buy it elsewhere new for about $25 more. Thanks for any input.
Is there any avoidance of return shipping fees if what they ship is DOA?
Old 08-14-2024, 07:23 PM

To me, it's just like buying used on ebay, FB marketplace, here, etc. As long as you have buyer protection (paypal G&S or through ebay, etc), I don't ever hesitate if I think the deal is good.
Old 08-15-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
$25?? Get it new somewhere else.

TPC’s CS seems good, though (pretty fast response). But during the middle of the pandemic (late 2021), with bike shortages, I inquired about a frame I wanted to sell. They threw a Pennies on dollar (lowest of lowball) offer, which I promptly declined. Left a bad taste in my mouth. I understand they’re a business. But it felt like I was dealing with a used car dealership.
I'm with you on all accounts here.

$25 to upgrade to newnew? No Brainer.

And I did sell 1 bike to them pre-pandemic for a tolerable price. Since then i've felt mildly insulted by any offer I've received. But I do understand they have to flow with the market, and when people aren't buying our used stuff directly, there's nothing to tell TPC that they'll be able to sell it either.

I also met some of the TPC folks at FoCo fondo and they were super personable and chatty with me even though the booth was busy. That's a +1 for me to go back to them in the future.
Old 08-15-2024, 09:53 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
I also met some of the TPC folks at FoCo fondo and they were super personable and chatty with me even though the booth was busy. That's a +1 for me to go back to them in the future.
glad you had a good interaction.. I would assume most, if not all, the folks at TPC are bike dudes or dudettes that just want to talk, work on, and generally just want to be around bikes.. it always makes me wonder when folks give them so much shade for just trying to run a business.. if they are overpriced, it will right-size.. it they are under-offering on a bikes, it will right-size eventually.. or they will go out of business.. (not directed at BRad, just in general)

But, if you ordered a particular part and got something different or didn't work as described, that's not ok.. and I would, hopefully, expect them to make it right.. but yeah, $25 more on a brand new part with full warranty (esp electronics), seems like a no-brainer on a something that is already a pretty penny..