Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 10:04 PM

anyone have an "accommodating" ocular implant?

it's the fancy cataract lens replacement, that allows focusing.

i'm over 50, i just got PRK in one eye corrected for distance and i'm not super pleased with my abysmal near-vision. i know poor near-vision is expected, but the extent of my poor near-vision is simply shocking -- i cant read the largest print on the test-sheet they give me to assess reading vision!

wondering what these focusing "accommodating implant" lenses are like.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:08 AM

I’ve had the “premium” lenses implanted in both eyes after cataract removal. I don’t remember the brand but it’s the type that uses the eye’s focusing muscles to flex the lens. Another type is kind of like a progressive lens in eyeglasses. The one in my non-dominant eye was set to allow close up focus and pretty good distance. The dominant eye was set for good distance and fairly good close up. The combo worked really well and I only needed glasses to fine tune distance vision driving at night (due to some blurring from a previous LASIK procedure). Then came retinal detachments which messed a good thing up. I end up needing glasses more on the daytime as well. And $2400/eye for the better lenses—not covered by insurance.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:52 AM

My wife had lens replacement 8 years ago at age 46. She didn't have cataracts, just terrible vision. Her lenses have concentric rings of varying power, like a multi-focal contact lens. She has been super pleased. Her vision has been 20/20 for the last 8 years. She doesn't need reading glasses. Her prescription before the surgery was +12 in both eyes.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:43 PM

i am interested in them... terribly nearsighted and cornea not thick enough to get Lasik. was quoted $10-12k for 'best' lens implants by highly regarded doc.