Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 11:16 AM

Arione v Arione open v Antares?

Anybody have any experience with the open Arione versus the closed/classic Arione saddles?

I've been riding the Arione closed/classic, mostly with carbon rails (R1) but also with the standard k:ium rails (R3, I believe), for years and it's worked pretty well for me. However, on longer rides I find myself starting to notice the saddle more. In addition, on rides where I'm not hammering I also start to notice the saddle more.

I have two questions:

1. Has anyone tried the Arione open and compared it to the standard Arione? If so, does it help with longer rides and/or not riding as aggressively?

2. For those that have moved between the Arione and the Antares, how would you compare the two? Would the Antares be worth a try? I had one for a short period of time and let it go but I think my lack of love for it was more about the bike fit than the saddle.

I ride a Brooks C13 on my gravel bike and love it and I can't really explain why. Not sure how this is relevant but thought I would throw it out there.

Finally, I'm going to put the disclaimer out there that I'm aware that saddles and fit are an individual preference thing and what fits one bum may not work for another. This said, if you feel there are relevant factors that drove you towards or away from the Arione these would be helpful to know.

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2019, 11:27 AM

I used Arione, Arione VS, antares VS and Aliante open. Personally I liked Antares VS the most, both Arione and Arione VS puts too much pressure on my groin region couldn't do it. Aliante Open was ok but in order to make my groin region feel comfortable I had to lower the nose, which then caused my butt to constantly slip forward. Antares VS was just right except the nose was a bit wide.

Last edited by zmalwo; 05-20-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:29 AM

I have had all three and still alternate between Arione Open and Antares. My only remaining classic Arione is a custom busyman covered one and I just don't ride that bike as much, but I still love that shape.

I love the new Arione open. I have two of them and it is by far my favorite saddle. I love the way you can scoot around on it and it is thin and flat. I don't do well with scopped saddles. I also love the way it has a slight amount of cushion. not much, but just enough. I would love to tell you my perineum loves it too, but I honestly can't tell the difference there between the open and the regular closed. The Antares I have is just as comfy, you just can't scoot around on it quite as much.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:28 PM

Longtime Arione user; just switched to Arione Open on new bike. Took about 20 hours or so to break in my ass; there are ridges around the sides of the 'open' that my rear needed to 'refit.' After break in (i.e. no more saddle sores), the fit is great and I would recco.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:09 PM

Had an Arione. Hated it. Too rounded and just not right for me. Had an antares vs on my mtb and liked it so moved it to my road bike. Worked well for me. Now I'm riding an antares vs evo. Like it even more.

Last edited by pdonk; 05-21-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:02 PM

I am a long time Airone user but switched to a Berk Lupina on my road bike and I'm sold on that. I have an Arione VS open for the SS because I use an X-Lab saddle mount bottle holder and didn't want to risk it on a carbon railed Berk. I have no issue with the Arione or the VS but prefer the Berk at this point.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:04 PM

Long term Arione user (3 bikes including fixed gear). They must be perfectly angled - as you know.

Have and tried Antares and can't quite get on with it. Three things: nose too wide, too 'flat' across the top, transition flare from nose to tail too abrupt. Of the three, the first is the deal killer.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:22 AM

I never tried an Arione "Open", but have only ridden Ariones for years now.

1. Arione "CX", original (curved stripe), Kium: love them the most.
2. Arione "Classic" original (curved stripe), Kium: love them.
3. Arione new version (straight stripe), Kium: OK, but don't like, the old covers were better.

4. Arione VS, Kium and C-F: really hated it, extremely uncomfortable, those sidewalls of the groove were impossible to get used to, plus seemed to take away from the "slide back and forth easily" aspect of the standard Ariones.

I really did not like Antares or Aliante.

Regarding Brooks:
I have read many generally very positive comments on Brooks / Ariones also, from Arione users, but I can't recall which version Brooks (C13 or C15); it was whatever version (C15?) that is closest to the long, narrow (esp. compared to the Antares) Arione form.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:30 AM

I may have one of these. Give me a holler later.