Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Check out https://www.quikrack.com/ if you want a 1 up rack. It's by the designer of the 1 up rack and appears to be an improved design. The site says they are sold out though.
It's not clear what is going on with the Quik Rack. I have been on the waiting list for several years, and not long ago the website was updated with the following notice:

Quote:
Over the last 2 years, I have had great success in obtaining 14 patents that cover the new Quik-Rack Mach 2 design. I have decided to license my patents and domain names instead of producing the Quik-Rack Mach 2 myself. Anyone interested in licensing my patents and domain names please contact Cal Phillips at quikrackmach2@gmail.com.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:22 PM

I have the duel with an add on so that I can hold 3 bikes. Love it. I wish it did not have the middle 45 degree angle position. I rather it just be up and down.

As for security, I bought a lock which blocks access to the bolt that releases the rack from the hitch. Also, 1up requires a special tool to engage with the hitch.

Last edited by joosttx; 05-05-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:12 PM

I recently found a 2 bike on Craigslist, and it seems better built and easier to use than any other rack I've seen or owned. It does block the license plate when it's up, but most any hitch rack also does that, at least partially if not more.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:15 PM

^ That’s the lock I was referring to.

For anyone ordering locks, order them all at once so that they can all be keyed the same.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
It's not clear what is going on with the Quik Rack. I have been on the waiting list for several years, and not long ago the website was updated with the following notice:
It looks to be a bit of a disaster. It goes something like this:

The original founder sold the company then had a falling out with the new management. So he started a new company with the same name. Well there was a difference in where the dash in the domain name was but basically the same name. Apparently he never transferred ownership of the domain name to the buyer, so he switched it to point to his new company's website. The old company scrambled to set up a new domain name and get the word out that the new domain was actually the old company.

Meanwhile,, on the web and Youtube, the founder was trying to make it look like his new company was the original company and the original company were interlopers that had been making a similar rack due to expiration of his patents. Eventually, under legal pressure I imagine, the original company got its domain name back and the founder changed the name of his new company.

He changed the name to the name of the product of the old company, sort of like a new soft drink company that wants to compete with Coke name their company Sprite.

In the end the founder could not get his company off the ground so he licensed the new rack to Saris.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I have the duel with an add on so that I can hold 3 bikes. Love it. I wish it did not have the middle 45 degree angle position. I rather it just be up and down.
I would also rather it just went up down as well. Some kind of extension for the release lever would be a welcome addition with the additional trays. Minor issues though. Its otherwise fantastic.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:15 PM

Have a 2" silver heavy duty with one add on. Works great as many note.

Just got my wife an E bike (without fenders)....with "Townie" geometry, so has 47" wheel base, and listed as 49 lbs weight. The 1UP handles it fine. I do put the E Bike on closest to bumper.

In addition to how well it works.....what I appreciate most.....is how small a package it folds into. It takes up very little space in my garage.....or if on a trip...can just unload, and put in back of SUV. ( I like my back up sensors and camera to work good)

Last edited by Ralph; 05-06-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
I would also rather it just went up down as well. Some kind of extension for the release lever would be a welcome addition with the additional trays. Minor issues though. Its otherwise fantastic.
You mean this?

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/ez-pull/
Old 05-06-2019, 02:28 PM
hoolered

I like how the front page photo shows a really cheap bike on the rack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Check out https://www.quikrack.com/ if you want a 1 up rack. It's by the designer of the 1 up rack and appears to be an improved design. The site says they are sold out though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (105.6 KB, 169 views)
Old 05-07-2019, 11:49 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierteTi52 View Post
I believe this is only offered in the 2” version
Confirmed via email today with them.
"Correct, the slotted hitch bar is only available in the 2”. The 1 ¼” is not large enough for that feature. "

Last edited by kppolich; 03-29-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
Well, I mean if that's the best you can come up with, I guess it will do in a pinch.

Guess I should look around their website to see what else I can find to quench my inner grouch. I also used the 45 degree position yesterday to open the hatch on my outback, so I am out of faults for this rack except for blocking the license plate when up.

***edit, I see they have a license plate holder as well. So I gotta find something else to grump about now.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa86 View Post
I just bought mine, arrived Thursday, trying it out tomorrow. I've yet to find anyone online who isn't completely happy with theirs. Thanks for posting.
I'm that guy. I had a 2" double rack a number of years back and it would not stay tight in my hitch. It would loosen up dramatically even driving around town and especially on dirt roads to trails. I'm guessing I got a lemon or there was some weird incompatibility with the rack and my (stock Toyota 4Runner) hitch.

To their credit 1UP did accept the return and gave a full refund. I liked the build quality and design but it didn't perform the core function of a bike rack for me. I would have gotten another but they stated the rack looked fine when they received my return. I now have a standard Thule hitch rack and the plastic parts feel cheap and unreliable but it works and doesn't loosen in the hitch.

Tags
1up, 1upusa, bike rack, hitch mount