Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2019, 11:38 PM

I've been using road tubeless for almost two years with 25mm tires and I'm well north of 200#. I've had one puncture that spewed sealand briefly and then sealed. I carry a frame mounted minipump so I can put some air in the tire if it took more than a few seconds to seal.

What kind of stuff is causing punctures that won't seal? A cut tire doesn't matter if it tubeless or not, but for the standard small shards of glass, pieces of wire from truck tires, and other small stuff, it should seal as long as the rider ensures the tire still has some liquid sealant. I put an ounce in every three months but I live in the desert. I still carry tubes in my bag to get home but at this point I'm more concerned about them dry rotting.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I've been using road tubeless for almost two years with 25mm tires and I'm well north of 200#. I've had one puncture that spewed sealand briefly and then sealed. I carry a frame mounted minipump so I can put some air in the tire if it took more than a few seconds to seal.

What kind of stuff is causing punctures that won't seal? A cut tire doesn't matter if it tubeless or not, but for the standard small shards of glass, pieces of wire from truck tires, and other small stuff, it should seal as long as the rider ensures the tire still has some liquid sealant. I put an ounce in every three months but I live in the desert. I still carry tubes in my bag to get home but at this point I'm more concerned about them dry rotting.
Bbill,
Can you comment on the tires you've experienced with the major likes/dislikes?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2019, 06:34 AM

Not every time. I find a big difference in how MTB and road tires seal. My MTB.tires have not once had an issue sealing where my road tires typically do. The difference lies in the air pressure (26lbs or less vs 80lbs on the road bike).

Every puncture on my road bike started off like it was was an aerosol can spraying orange seal everywhere at 80psi. If going down a hill, by the time I could stop most of the sealant had sprayed out. Once the air pressure dropped to the 30lb range and the cut/hole had a little time to dry I could usually get the tire to hold pressure up to 45lbs which was enough to allow me to limp home if I was close enough. Otherwise I would throw a tube in. I had many occasions where I had a smallish cut that could not seal under any circumstances.

I just think sealant has a much harder time doing its job when tire pressure gets over 45-50psi.

One thing I didn’t use that I will next time I venture to tubeless will be tire plugs. I think they will make a huge difference sealing punctures + allow me to air back up to a higher pressure.

I still think many of the cuts/punctures on the Pro Ones May not have happened on the 4000s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromen View Post
Matt,
Did your sealant take care of the punctures?

Old 04-28-2019, 06:43 AM
aka RAEKWON

I was looking into this and I am also north of 200. A lot of companies don't rec running anything over 65psi which on a 25mm tire is not going to work for me. I was looking at 32mm tires and I can run those closer to 65, ended up going with spesh 2bliss and they say max on tubeless is 90 I think. I run them at 70-75 and they have been fine.

While I was researching, schwalbe seemed the be the one that was fine with higher pressures or smaller tire sizes. Knowing how tubeless sytems works, I understand why higher pressures and tubeless doesnt seem to be a great idea, I really would not want a tire blowing off the rim.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:59 AM

Schwalbe One seems to be the standard for TLR. I've been racing and training on them for the past 2 seasons and they're great.

I'm doing Belgian Waffle Ride May 5th, and decided I'd throw some of the new Vittoria Corsa Control TLR 30mm on my wheels. Holy smokes, the ride blows my Schwalbes out of the water. I might be running these the rest of the season. I'm really impressed.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:27 AM

Giant Gavia AC 0 TL

Hi, wondering if anyone has any experience running Giant Gavia AC 0 TLR tubeless ready tires. They came mounted on my Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 , been riding them now for about 150 miles, wondering if anyone has long term experience. Also if anyone has had experience replacing these tires on a Giant SLR 0 carbon fiber 42mm wheel set. What tires do you recommend that mount without problems.

Thanks,
quattro

Last edited by quattro; 04-28-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt92037 View Post
Not every time. I find a big difference in how MTB and road tires seal. My MTB.tires have not once had an issue sealing where my road tires typically do. The difference lies in the air pressure (26lbs or less vs 80lbs on the road bike).

Every puncture on my road bike started off like it was was an aerosol can spraying orange seal everywhere at 80psi. If going down a hill, by the time I could stop most of the sealant had sprayed out. Once the air pressure dropped to the 30lb range and the cut/hole had a little time to dry I could usually get the tire to hold pressure up to 45lbs which was enough to allow me to limp home if I was close enough. Otherwise I would throw a tube in. I had many occasions where I had a smallish cut that could not seal under any circumstances.

I just think sealant has a much harder time doing its job when tire pressure gets over 45-50psi.

One thing I didn’t use that I will next time I venture to tubeless will be tire plugs. I think they will make a huge difference sealing punctures + allow me to air back up to a higher pressure.
This pretty much echos my experience as well.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Bbill,
Can you comment on the tires you've experienced with the major likes/dislikes?

Schwalbe Pro Ones and Panaracer Race A's. The Schwalbe's profile out bigger for a 25mm but both have been durable. I run 85 rear, 80 front.

I just found the whole tubeless road thing to be a non-event. It comes down to what causes your flats. In NE Texas it was tiny pieces of wire from blown trailer tires. Out here in NW Arizona, it's goatheads and other thorns. My road tires have brown spots which are thorns that have punctured, sealed, and smoothed off. Last fall I pulled off a Panaracer that had worn to the casing and it had all kinds of stuff in it but it never flatted.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:48 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Gonna repost my earlier response: I run between 210 and 225 depending and have used both Schwalbe one and IRC - roadlite, forumula, in 23s and 25s successfully with sealant. On Boyds and Zonda c17s they grow out to 25 and 28 respectively. IRCs have been, in my experience, more durable, less prone to cuts and holes than the the Schwalbe and give up little if anything in road feel. I started using them after reading and then talking with Tom Kellogg, who recommended them.

I have had one tire that had two big a hole to seal (prior to me being aware of plugs). I don't use them all the time as I also use regular old clinchers and tubulars, but they will be a major part of the rotation this summer.

I run them at between 80-90 psi. The roadlites wear like iron.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende View Post
Fwiw, I’m no tubeless expert... but I’m coming to the understanding that tubeless for these skinnier tire sizes is probably suited more for lighter riders.

I’m 200 plus and had trouble getting my 28mm to seal after getting a puncture. The sealant just kept spraying all over my bike. Wasn’t a massive puncture either. Just a point of note.. my .02... YMMV.
I’m over 200lbs and run the new Conti gp5000 TL tires tubeless. They feel much like Conti tires with latex tubes. I use slightly less pressure than I do with tubes. The benefit is no snakebite flats as far as I’m concerned. I’ve ridden on them for about a month with no issues. I use about 30ml of Conti sealant. I’ve never had an opportunity to see if it works.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I’m over 200lbs and run the new Conti gp5000 TL tires tubeless. They feel much like Conti tires with latex tubes. I use slightly less pressure than I do with tubes. The benefit is no snakebite flats as far as I’m concerned. I’ve ridden on them for about a month with no issues. I use about 30ml of Conti sealant. I’ve never had an opportunity to see if it works.
Thanks Dig,
A 200 what pressure are you running front and back and what size?

Old 04-28-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks Dig,
A 200 what pressure are you running front and back and what size?

25c on HED Belgium+ rims. I’ve been using 100-105 lbs pressure.

Last edited by djg21; 04-28-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:05 PM

Any trouble with the install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
25c on HED Belgium+ rims. I’ve been using 100-105 lbs pressure.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:35 PM

Rims

Are all of you using rims/wheels specifically made for tubeless tires?
Thanks.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rides2slow View Post
Are all of you using rims/wheels specifically made for tubeless tires?
Thanks.
If you try and run high pressure road tubeless on rims that aren't designed for tubeless, you're going to have a bad time. Dangerous.

Low pressure MTB/cross usage is one thing.