Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2019, 04:02 PM

200lb rider.. 2x or 3x lacing?

Building my first wheelset and just wondering if I should go 2x or 3x on the rear.. I'll be doing 2x on the front. Hubs are used and I know to follow the grooves, can't tell if they were 2x or 3x before.

H+son TB14 to Dura Ace HB-7600 28h single fixed

Also not sure which spokes I should go with.. was looking at Sapim Race and Laser

Last edited by MURDERF4CE; 04-23-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:25 PM

you want the spokes to be tangential to the hub flange on the rear. In my experience you can get away with 2x on 28h and many pre built 28h wheels do come 2x on the rear.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:54 PM

3x in both...
Old 04-23-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
3x in both...
Definitely agree.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:24 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURDERF4CE View Post
Building my first wheelset and just wondering if I should go 2x or 3x on the rear.. I'll be doing 2x on the front. Hubs are used and I know to follow the grooves, can't tell if they were 2x or 3x before.

Also not sure which spokes I should go with.. was looking at Sapim Race and Laser
2cross front, 3 cross rear, brass nipps. Sapim Race. Lasers buy really nothing but more $ and not as reliable a wheel, all things being equal.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:12 PM

What is the advantage of going 2 cross as opposed to 3 cross? I don't have a good understanding of this.

I am about your weight and I tend to lean toward more reinforcement, if more spokes crossing equates to that.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:47 PM

3x the wheel gets tad stiffer. Sometimes you have to go with the formula everybody had been using for the longest time.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
What is the advantage of going 2 cross as opposed to 3 cross? I don't have a good understanding of this.

I am about your weight and I tend to lean toward more reinforcement, if more spokes crossing equates to that.
I think 3 cross rear with 28h essential..I think he could do 28/2cross front and have a little less spoke overlap on the flange..he could also do 3cross on the front but no advantage, IMHO, considering what he's using the wheels for.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:54 AM

Ok. Thanks for the responses.

Let me add another twist - does the extra crossing of spokes make the wheel more durable? I could see arguments for either more or less durable I suppose, due to the extra bend and contact with another spoke.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
3x the wheel gets tad stiffer. Sometimes you have to go with the formula everybody had been using for the longest time.
Just the opposite is true - increasing the number of crosses decreases wheel stiffness. The reasons are two-fold: More crosses requires longer spokes; longer spokes decreases the spoke bracing angle. However, the differences subtle, and not a strong reason to select 2x over 3x lacing.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
Ok. Thanks for the responses.

Let me add another twist - does the extra crossing of spokes make the wheel more durable? I could see arguments for either more or less durable I suppose, due to the extra bend and contact with another spoke.
Spoke lacing pattern has no meaningful affect on spoke fatigue, according to this study by Prof. Gavin of Duke University:

http://people.duke.edu/~hpgavin/pape...heel-Paper.pdf

(This paper also analyses wheel stiffness, and finds that stiffness decreases with increasing spoke crosses.)
Old 04-24-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURDERF4CE View Post

Here are diagrams of how the spokes would orient on a DA7600 Flange in 3x lacing (top diagram) and 2x lacing (bottom diagram). You should be able to put a spoke or two in your hub and orient it the previous lacing groove(s) and then determine how the angle matches up to the diagrams...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28h DA7800 Lacing 3x vs 2x.JPG (102.3 KB, 166 views)
Old 04-24-2019, 08:29 PM

Thanks for those illustrations.. definitely will come in handy
Old 04-24-2019, 08:40 PM

From a 185 pound person to a 200 pound person...go with three cross. Really.

There are some amazing pre-built wheels out there than can go 2X, but you mentioned the H Son rims. I've seen waaayyyyyy too many folks 200 pounds plus have wheel problems, so why risk it?

I'd even suggest 32 hole 3X...but perhaps that's too old school! Good luck with your build.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:19 AM

Selecting the number of spoke crossings depends on primarily on these factors (in order of importance):

Number of spokes: The angle that spokes enter the hub (spoke angle) should be between 45 and 90 degrees, if this range of angles can be attained with more than one number of crossings, the larger angle/number of crossings is usually preferable. The spoke angle is a function of the number of spokes and the number of crossings:

Angle = (720 degrees) x (number of crossings) / (number of spokes)

For 28 spokes, 2x yields a spoke angle of 51.4 degrees, and 3x yields a spoke angle of 77.1 degrees.

Hub flange diameter: Large flange diameters can result in the spokes entering the rim at a sharp angle, resulting in stress concentrations at the spoke threads, and the larger the number of crossings used, the larger sharper the spoke bend at the rim. For very large hub flanges, often the smaller of the allowable spoke crossings is better.

Other hub geometry factors: Hubs with spoke holes very close to the edge of the flange can be more prone spokes breaking out of the flange. This can be mitigated by lacing the spokes more tangentially (higher spoke angle). Hubs with spoke holes very close together (small flange diameter with many spokes) may result in spokes overlapping the heads of adjacent spokes, making spoke replacement difficult. This can be mitigated by reducing the spoke angle (number of spoke crossings).

For a 28 spoke wheel, 3x would normally be recommended for small flange hubs, and possibly 2x if the hub flanges are very large.