Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion View Post
truly remarkable to do most of the work to close a gap that fast and then to sprint from that far out with that much force. never seen anything quite like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJNLMYpr2TM
Old 04-22-2019, 08:06 PM

One performance looks human and the other super human. I'm always skeptical of the guy sprinting on the hoods. Maybe, Gaimon was right.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I'm a big fan, but I never thought he'd be really in the mix in the big name classics, let alone animating the race/sprinting for the wins.

I figured the transition from racing an hour to racing 4 hours, plus the tactical nature of road riding, plus all the experience and firepower he was up against would make this spring a learning curve year.

Amazing bike rider.
Kid is Dutch National Road Champ. That's not exactly a title that comes with lightweight competition. And he beasted all comers in that race.

It ain't like winning the Slovakian road title. #shotsfired
Old 04-22-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk540 View Post
One performance looks human and the other super human. I'm always skeptical of the guy sprinting on the hoods. Maybe, Gaimon was right.
Haven't you? Ever? Dude did crazy work during the race, and reaching down is tough at that point. Might be one of the best classics performances, or some of us are dupes.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:18 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Are you insinuating that van der poel had a motor in his bike?
Old 04-22-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Are you insinuating that van der poel had a motor in his bike?
well he is genetically doped, and i have it on good authority that this old man is responsible

also, for anyone who hasn't seen it, this ad is def worth watching. There are very few ads one would like to rewatch; this is one of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKA9xPmusfw

edit, name the second place finisher in the race depicted in the 38th second of the video

Last edited by echappist; 04-22-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
Haven't you? Ever? Dude did crazy work during the race, and reaching down is tough at that point. Might be one of the best classics performances, or some of us are dupes.
I always sprint on the hoods and I don't win races and I don't ride guys off my wheel. Even the ones with half the talent. But it's different at the elite level, right? In any sport. As guys move up there's less parity. 10 MJ's per 50 players.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:52 PM

Changing topics for a second, CyclingTips echoed this tidbit from Twitter user @daniellloyd1:

"Yesterday's Amstel Gold Race was the first time that Alejandro Valverde has finished outside the top 50 of any race, and any stage of any race, since 7th May, 2016."

Even given the suspicion of doping, that's flat out amazing.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk540 View Post
I always sprint on the hoods and I don't win races and I don't ride guys off my wheel. Even the ones with half the talent. But it's different at the elite level, right? In any sport. As guys move up there's less parity. 10 MJ's per 50 players.
OK, you don't lose from the guys with half the talent, Talent is not part of winning: It's who's on form, who has a good RD, and who gets lucky.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
His current team won't get the invites to all the races he is likely to want to race.
Also his UCI points are a valuable commodity. He will get more $,exposure and big race days on a protour team.

Slotting into team leadership role for his races will not be a problem.
Can you name one race he'd like to race that he won't be invited to? They even decided not to accept the invite for Paris-Roubaix because the race did not fit his plans this year

He is currently on a one million euros a year contract with Corendon till 2023 and he is free to choose his own staff and program - which is important since his main goal is a gold medal in the 2020 olympic mountainbike race. That's why he returns to MTB next week and won't race Fleche Wallone, LBL, etc.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
well he is genetically doped, and i have it on good authority that this old man is responsible

That's race director Leo van Vliet

Old 04-23-2019, 08:05 AM

D’oh; i thought it was Grampa Poupou
Old 04-23-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruimteaapje View Post
Can you name one race he'd like to race that he won't be invited to? They even decided not to accept the invite for Paris-Roubaix because the race did not fit his plans this year

He is currently on a one million euros a year contract with Corendon till 2023 and he is free to choose his own staff and program - which is important since his main goal is a gold medal in the 2020 olympic mountainbike race. That's why he returns to MTB next week and won't race Fleche Wallone, LBL, etc.
Plus Corendon has the cash and has said it will support going ProTour if the team decides to. Why would MvdP ride for someone else? (Also, his team has surprised more the Mathieu has, with a couple teammates stepping up nicely.)

I realize that road racing fans don't always give a crap about MTB or CX -- how else would anyone not know MvdP & Wout? -- but good for Mathieu for sticking to his plan and racing the way he wants to race. The ProTour can wait.

Last edited by JStonebarger; 04-23-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:50 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStonebarger View Post
... Why would MvdP ride for someone else? (Also, his team has surprised more the Mathieu has, with a couple teammates stepping up nicely.)
I think that is it. Access to a WorldTour quality roster of teammates. Probably less important when you're a transcendent talent and you're picking and choosing your races to suit you.

If you start riding a full road calendar (which may never be in the cards for him), it becomes very hard to do it alone, or with a weak team. Also, the economics of a team are not very good to begin with. If you have a team built around a single rider and be gets injured, sick, etc. that is a lot of overhead that you have to carry with very little benefit to sponsors.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStonebarger View Post
Plus Corendon has the cash and has said it will support going ProTour if the team decides to. Why would MvdP ride for someone else? (Also, his team has surprised more the Mathieu has, with a couple teammates stepping up nicely.)
not to mention that Canyon would be more than happy to step up