Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2019, 07:36 PM

1X Gravel gearing: what works for you?

Finishing up the components on my gravel steed. Lots of very steep hills/paved climbs. Looks like I'll have a (SRAM) 38t in front and a 10-42 in back.

Toyed with going 40t up front with an Eagle 10-50 in back. What are others using and how do you like it?
Old 04-11-2019, 10:58 PM

I use two 1x systems with a special changing mechanism... works great.

I don't get 1x for gravel road riding. You can pedal the whole time just as you would on a road ride, why wouldn't you want narrower jumps in gears? Gravel roads are just roads.

Cross and MTB, 1x makes sense, lots of rhythm changes, and you're concentrating on handling the bike more.

Seriously, only you know what works for your terrain. Anywhere there are mountains I want two chainrings.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:05 PM
Vendor

I like the 1x for mtn and use a 32T/11-42. But I also like the 2x for road and gravel. I'm working on a gravel build and thinking about the new Easton EA90 alloy crank in a 30/46T with an 11-34T cassette.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:37 PM

I was running a 1x with a 42 11x34 cassette and it was pretty good except for the really steep stuff. I just got a 38 chainring and will see how it works. The 42x11 was good for about 33 mph, then I spin out..great for the descents. Not sure what a 38 will be good for but it should be able to get me up the steep climbs in the sf bay area...
Old 04-12-2019, 06:41 AM

My 1X setup is 40 up front and a 11-42. I don't think I've ever used the 42, but it's nice knowing that it's there. I'm torn about 1X though. For exclusive gravel riding it's great, the gravel roads around here are constantly changing in pitch never a consistent grade so the jumps between cogs isn't a big deal. The problem is a 50 mile "gravel" ride will have 25ish miles of pavement. It's then the big jump between cogs is an issue.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:56 AM

I switched back to 2x on my CX bike when I use it for gravel events. The wider range and smaller steps between gears is hugely helpful.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:47 AM

I'll ride gravel events with about 28-105 gear inches having reasonable steps, like 40 x 11-40.

For close to home gravel a tighter 11-32 is good because the are more road transfers and few significant hills.

Instagram
Old 04-12-2019, 08:03 AM

I was running a 40T and 10-42 X01 cassette until I did a gravel race that had 3.5 mile climb up a mountain bike trail that averages 12%...was back in January and I hadn’t been riding much due to weather but really needed a bailout gear. Recently swapped in a Wolftooth 46 cog for the 42 cog, which is removable/replaceable. No change in chain length, just a b screw adjustment. Essentially the equivalent of putting a 37T ring in front, but without losing the top end and rest of my gearing, which I like. Now I’m more comfortable on the mtb long steeps.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:22 AM

Here in hilly CNY, the best 1X system (for gravel roads) is a 2X system. 46/34 in front, 11-32 or 11-34 in back depending on the length and gradient of the hills. I can see 1X for cyclocross, but it just doesn't work for me on hilly gravel roads.

Greg
Old 04-12-2019, 08:30 AM

40 up front, 12-36 in the back.

works for almost all the stuff i hit unless i'm loaded down with a bunch of groceries or something.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregl View Post
here in hilly cny, the best 1x system (for gravel roads) is a 2x system. 46/34 in front, 11-32 or 11-34 in back depending on the length and gradient of the hills. I can see 1x for cyclocross, but it just doesn't work for me on hilly gravel roads.

Greg
potm..
Old 04-12-2019, 08:34 AM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
I switched back to 2x on my CX bike when I use it for gravel events. The wider range and smaller steps between gears is hugely helpful.
Yep. Anyplace where you can pedal smoothly and consistently goes better with more gears.
The curmudgeon in me thinks 1X for road is right up there with road discs. The only need it fills is the industry's need for more money.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:46 AM
aka RAEKWON

Look guys, I don't like 1X either, it is just not for me and where I ride BUT lets be honest, OP wants and has 2x, you really think you going to change his mind. Oh, this guy on an internet forum says my gear choice is bad, let me go spend $1000 to change it.

I have no experience with 1X, I think it works for some people, maybe it would even work for me but from ridding what I have I am happy so I am not willing to change. However when I briefly though about it I would like to have gears that are 1 step less than 1:1 so I would probably keep what you have. However, 38 would not give me the low end I want so I may have done 40 in front, depends on how much non gravel you are doing really
Old 04-12-2019, 10:39 AM

Really interesting responses thus far. I didn't realize there's a significant contingency that really dislikes the 1X system. All good. Here's my take on it (coming from a MTB background): I'll take it. Along with disc brakes and wider tires. For me, it boils down to one word: comfort.

Cycling is my zen. I'm a bigger guy (200 lbs) and, at 50, really don't care about making the best Strava times. So, the way I interpret the latest road biking "innovations" is that they will make cycling easier - and hence more enjoyable for me. And they often do. The smallest cassette I'll ever run is an 11-34. If I felt that my new wheels weren't too narrow, I'd throw a Compass Bon Jon Pass on them, for everyday road riding.

I remember several years ago, I used my Ti MTB (with a rigid fork) in a 60 mile fondo. Weighed in at just under 20 lbs. 30t paired with a 10-42 in back. There was a wicked two mile ascent with an average grade of almost 10 percent.

For the majority of it, I was cruising along with a guy in the midst of a major sufferfest. He had a 53/39 up front and an 11-25 in back (I asked) Old school set-up on a carbon whippet. He looked miserable. Of course, he kicked my ass on the flats, and I had to cruise on the descents with a 30t, but I really liked climbing that hill.

I'll take the occasional jumps in gearing in favor of a more enjoyable ride.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Really interesting responses thus far. I didn't realize there's a significant contingency that really dislikes the 1X system. All good. Here's my take on it (coming from a MTB background): I'll take it. Along with disc brakes and wider tires. For me, it boils down to one word: comfort.

Cycling is my zen. I'm a bigger guy (200 lbs) and, at 50, really don't care about making the best Strava times. So, the way I interpret the latest road biking "innovations" is that they will make cycling easier - and hence more enjoyable for me. And they often do. The smallest cassette I'll ever run is an 11-34. If I felt that my new wheels weren't too narrow, I'd throw a Compass Bon Jon Pass on them, for everyday road riding.

I remember several years ago, I used my Ti MTB (with a rigid fork) in a 60 mile fondo. Weighed in at just under 20 lbs. 30t paired with a 10-42 in back. There was a wicked two mile ascent with an average grade of almost 10 percent.

For the majority of it, I was cruising along with a guy in the midst of a major sufferfest. He had a 53/39 up front and an 11-25 in back (I asked) Old school set-up on a carbon whippet. He looked miserable. Of course, he kicked my ass on the flats, and I had to cruise on the descents with a 30t, but I really liked climbing that hill.

I'll take the occasional jumps in gearing in favor of a more enjoyable ride.
I'm coming from a similar place as far as background and goals, so I build up my latest 'Allroad' bike with 1x gearing. I've got a 36t in the front and an 11-46t cassette in the back. Yes, gear jumps are a bit larger than is ideal, so I'll slow down or speed up a bit if needed. I really like having the low gear to comfortably spin up the steep stuff when needed, and don't miss the top end at all. If I'm going over 25 MPH, I'm coasting! On another note, I'm really enjoying my Schwlabe G-One 650x2.35 tires!