Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2019, 04:25 PM

Question 56 sized head folks - what's your helmet?

Shopping for a new helmet, my 56cm dome puts me in a weird place - head too big for a SM, but some Ms verge on looking a little big despite technically 'fitting'. Want to get MIPs, so Kask, Met are out. Most M size ranges are 55-59 or 56-59. What model/size you rocking?

So far I've tried a Bell Z20 M, Bontrager Wavecel Specter S, M, Giro Foray M, Met Strale M.

Who makes a Medium that runs 'small'? (or alternatively a huge size Small)

Last edited by MagicHour; 04-02-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:41 PM

Re:

I've found that it depends more on the shape of your head. Some brands favor rounder heads, while others favor oval shaped melons like mine. I really like my Kask Valegro.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:01 PM

I guess I'm sorta in the middle then - have worn Bell and Giro in the past without issue. Anyway I'm not so much having trouble with comfort issues at least for size Mediums, more of a vanity issue.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:09 PM

I'm a M in Kask but I'd say my Mojito is a bit larger fitting and seems a bit more round than my protone. Both fit but it's more work to get comfy with a thicker hat in the Protone. I like em both but for summer the protone wins out for me.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHour View Post
Shopping for a new helmet, my 56cm dome puts me in a weird place - head too big for a SM, but some Ms verge on looking a little big despite technically 'fitting'. Want to get MIPs, so Kask, Met are out. Most M size ranges are 55-59 or 56-59. What model/size you rocking?

So far I've tried a Bell Z20 M, Bontrager Wavecel Specter S, M, Giro Foray M, Met Strale M.

Who makes a Medium that runs 'small'? (or alternatively a huge size Small)
Same head size, my Giro Savant/MIPS (medium) fits nicely. I also have a much more expensive POC that fits also but not as well, I wear it for commuting (because, safety orange) The Savant is not very expensive so you might dismiss as "cheap", but I think helmet pricing and helmet quality don't align very accurately. Good safety rating from Virgina Tech especially for the price.

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicyc...t-ratings.html

Last edited by zennmotion; 04-02-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:25 PM

Thanks - yeah I tried a lower end Kask model and Med was definitely my size but unfortunately helmet had other issues. The PRotone looks really nice, but I do kinda wanna try MIPS for this purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I'm a M in Kask but I'd say my Mojito is a bit larger fitting and seems a bit more round than my protone. Both fit but it's more work to get comfy with a thicker hat in the Protone. I like em both but for summer the protone wins out for me.
My Foray M (non MIPS version) fits ok, and I don't mind the looks, not the greatest for sweat management though, and the pads are kinda crap. I'll take a look at the Savant. The Synthe is also an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
Same head size, my Giro Savant/MIPS (medium) fits nicely. I also have a much more expensive POC that fits also but not as well, I wear it for commuting (because, safety orange) The Savant is not very expensive so you might discount as "cheap", but I think helmet pricing and helmet quality don't align very accurately. Good safety rating from Virgina Tech especially for the price.

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicyc...t-ratings.html
Old 04-02-2019, 06:23 PM

I ran into the exact same dilemma this past fall, as MagicHour. I agree with what he said about the size crossover of the various brands-they fit but then they don't.

I was replacing a size M Bell. It fit my size 56 head well, but when riding in the drops, it just appeared at the top of my field of view, which I didn't like.

I vaguely recalled in the past having no such problem with a size S Bell, so I locally ordered a Z20, which I couldn't try on at the bike shop since they didn't have any.

The helmet fit fine if not just a tad snug if I loosened the ratchet mechanism completely, but once I put a skull cap or balaclava on, it was too tight.

I wore the helmet only 4x then sold it on eBay for 1/3 what I paid for it, learned my lesson, bought a size M, and will have to get used to that field of vision annoyance.

And the vanity thing-yeah; that's me, too!
Old 04-02-2019, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the commiseration. Yeah it's a shame the Bell Z20 is really nice and has some awesome features, if only it didn't look so bulbous on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
I ran into the exact same dilemma this past fall, as MagicHour. I agree with what he said about the size crossover of the various brands-they fit but then they don't.

I was replacing a size M Bell. It fit my size 56 head well, but when riding in the drops, it just appeared at the top of my field of view, which I didn't like.

I vaguely recalled in the past having no such problem with a size S Bell, so I locally ordered a Z20, which I couldn't try on at the bike shop since they didn't have any.

The helmet fit fine if not just a tad snug if I loosened the ratchet mechanism completely, but once I put a skull cap or balaclava on, it was too tight.

I wore the helmet only 4x then sold it on eBay for 1/3 what I paid for it, learned my lesson, bought a size M, and will have to get used to that field of vision annoyance.

And the vanity thing-yeah; that's me, too!
Old 04-10-2019, 09:25 PM

UPDATE
Following up if anyone cares …ended up going with a Giro Foray MIPS. The fit just works. In fact, looks like they’ve used the same shell size as my old non-MIPS version, so with the added liner taking up some extra room, this one fits me even better - now I'm not cranked down all the way down on the adjustment dial. MIPS, 287gms for a M, road proven (for me) and <$70 what’s not to like?? Hopefully the ventilation is not worse than it's predecessor, but we’ll see.

So thanks for the replies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Giro_forayWh_side_sm.jpg (67.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg GiroForay_frontWh_sm.jpg (67.5 KB, 46 views)