Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2019, 03:56 AM

Been riding 1x on my MTN Bike and Cross Bike, going on more than 5 years on each, both SRAM, never that I can recall have had a chain drop. Must have been something to do w/alignment/install.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:32 AM

When I switched my Litespeed to 1x, with a narrow-wide chainring but no clutch derailleur, I threw a chain on a bumpy dirt road, and that was while pedaling downhill at something over 20 mph. Chainguide applied after that. On my FS MTB, no chainguide, clutch rd, never thrown a chain.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
Is there really smooth roads in a bike race?
The queen of the spring classics, this monument, this climb? Televised all over the world? Whadoyathink? Italian and great roads are sometimes oxymorons but this section of this race is purty nice.

Andy Schlek, AquaBlue and now this..all the same manufacturer, si? But no, no, no Campagnolo has all the problems..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 03-25-2019 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:39 AM

I've also never dropped a chain on 1x. I haven't even heard a whisper of rattling chain with Rival type 2.1 clutched RD.

Also, I don't know that I've ever really had that much trouble putting a chain back on. Maybe if it was thrown over the chainring or the cassette?
Old 03-25-2019, 11:41 AM
Randomhead

it makes me wonder if they are using all the right equipment. But it also could be short chainstays.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoustache View Post
I've also never dropped a chain on 1x. I haven't even heard a whisper of rattling chain with Rival type 2.1 clutched RD.

Also, I don't know that I've ever really had that much trouble putting a chain back on. Maybe if it was thrown over the chainring or the cassette?
Did you get the chain back on without having to stop and put the chain back on by hand?

One doesn't drop the chain with double chainrings very often either, but when it does happen, the chain can often be pushed back on by manipulating the front derailleur (without having to stop). With a 1x, that option isn't there.

I would think that when racing with a 1x, one would want to install a fairly aggressive chain keeper. While it is true that dropping a chain doesn't happen very often, if it were to happen at the wrong moment it could cost one a race.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:17 PM

At 50 kmh and more...in the pack riding over whatever without a chance for avoidance, being bumped, etc...Strange stuff can and does happen all of the time. I have seen chains that have dropped on doubles where the chain *somehow* gets tightly jammed between the crank/chainwheel and chainstay. Luckily, it's never happened to me, but the jam is tight enough that it's not going ANYWHERE without doing major damage to the equipment by forcing it or pulling the crank to minimize the damage...With a front derailleur, there is no way of knowing how many times events and conditions might cause a derailment, but it is instantly corrected by the presence of the derailleur.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:17 PM

I'm just here to say Degenkolb is looking like the Hulk in those pictures.

No drivetrain can handle Hulk Smash.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:25 PM

Question: Do these new 1X road drive trains use narrow-wide rings?

If there's no derailleur (obviously there wouldn't be), no chain guard or catcher either, then NOT running a n-w ring would be foolhardy IMO.

Been running a Race Face n-w ring in my 1X MTB for years - never dropped a chain and don't even have a clutch rear derailleur.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:27 PM

the thing is, with 2x 99% of the time you can pedal it back on should it come off. with 1x, you cannot.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:36 PM

These threads always bring out the people saying they've never had equipment failure X with groupset Y.

But it doesn't really matter... it matters a lot more when a big pro has a problem in an important race on international TV... the damage is done no matter what.

I doubt the mechanics who work on his bike are bad, that always comes up too. They likely had direct assistance from SRAM Techs at a level no one else does.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:18 PM

1x still costing results

I just don’t understand why you would want fewer gears in a road race. None of it makes sense. Gravel, mtb, ok, but road, why?
Old 03-25-2019, 08:20 PM

Man, it's hard to keep defending SRAM when Di2 never has these problems. Grr.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
Question: Do these new 1X road drive trains use narrow-wide rings?
Of course they do.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:57 AM

Are shorter chainstays a factor? It seems as if 1x divetrains work well on MTBs, which have longer chainstays. Is the chainring of a 1x where the inner ring of a 2x crankset would be? If so, isn’t the chain effectively “cross-chained” when in the top gear? I would imagine that poor chain alignment and chain slack are a bad combination.