Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 06:58 PM

Sorry for your loss, Peter. As others have said, it sucks. Really, really hurts. But time will heal that wound and you will be left with wonderful memories. Dogs are the bees knees.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:06 PM

Bury them in repose in the yard with their favorite blanket, pillow, toy etc.

When appropriate time has passed, adapt and replace. Lost our 15 year old Lab at Xmas last year, a month later received a notification thru a friend that a similar was looking dog was in need of a home in order to celebrate Valentines Day. Posed with toys and similar name. Kismet...and I'm a sucker

Last edited by peanutgallery; 05-20-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:19 PM

Ahhh, yes...the apple of the collective eye at our house

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Bury them in repose in the yard with their favorite blanket, pillow, toy etc.

When appropriate time has passed, adapt and replace. Lost our 15 year old Lab at Xmas last year, a month later received a notification thru a friend that a similar was looking dog was in need of a home in order to celebrate Valentines Day. Posed with toys and similar name. Kismet...and I'm a sucker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181128_192611_resized.jpg (88.2 KB, 916 views)
Old 05-20-2019, 10:44 PM

I've lost a couple of pets in the last six months and with both of them I cried like a baby. Not sure why I'd bear greater losses with fewer tears, but there you have it--something about losing an animal really gets to me. Sorry for your loss.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

It’s so sad to lose a pet who becomes such an integral part of ones daily life. Dogs are so wonderful. There’s a great saying “ We give them a decade and they give us their whole life.”
Old 05-20-2019, 11:13 PM

I am sorry, Peter.
I own a dog. And this I know for sure, once he is gone, I will never get another one. He has given me tremendous happiness. And he sits here right next to me as I type this. He has been right next to me on many mountain passes in varying seasons, on river runs, in my tent in the middle of the weimenuche wilderness on a howling november night, and on many cross country road trips. There are so many memories and so much joy. I just need to close my eyes and these memories make my heart swell with tranquility. But no amount of happiness that he has given me will account for the pain that I will be in after he goes. So, no more for me. I cannot bear the agony of the loss.
I feel your pain.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:35 PM

Sorry for your loss OP...

Dogs always amaze me on that unconditional love. Our Lacey, a greyhound, gets up each day from her bed when I get home and comes over to greet me. Greys have that reaching stretch and she holds it the longest time as I scratch under her legs...

Hope all those fond memories of your Cleo bring a smile to your face.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
....It's really hard..so there it is, my Cleo has died. I cry for him...
It brings such a known sadness to read OP's and other people's comments here; condolences and empathy to all.

By now I have far more dogs in heaven than here on earth, but still remember every one of them, even decades later, and it is reassuring to feel that they are all together now, through all those generations. Even from there, wherever it is, they are unconditionally generous and constant in their support, care, affection, humor, loyalty...true friendship and love.

It takes a long time to get over the loss, that's for sure. I don't think one ever really does, maybe it just evolves into less "loss" and more "continuity" or something like that. Either way, and despite the immediate pain, we are better for having the stronger, deeper, more permanent bond than not, in the end.

Last edited by Dino Suegiù; 05-21-2019 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:55 AM
i ride to eat.

My condolences to everyone and OP!

I lost Kilo in November of last year after 14 years... I had to suddenly put him down (5 seizures in one night). Vet said it was most likely a brain tumor. Then I lost my mother a few weeks later.... I had a very rough winter.

Hang in there!

Old 05-21-2019, 02:18 AM

It is just so difficult. I lost two last year.

I hope you are finding some peace.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:58 AM

Sorry for you and your families loss Peter. Dogs are family and they enrich our lives, but unfortunately they don't live forever.

Losing a dog is certainly tough on those of us who bring them into our lives. Such selfless animals. I know I'll be having an extremely hard time when ours passes. She is one of the best companions a person can ask for.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2019, 06:42 AM

Sorry to hear of the sad news. Hopefully the fond memories you have will make the days a bit easier.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Thanks all, very sweet of you all.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:47 PM

Condolences Peter. Having gone through this as well, it is tough. But relish the good memories!
Cheers to Cleo
Old 05-21-2019, 07:06 PM
v a n i l l a

Condolences Peter. RIP Cleo

Never had dogs growing up but been there twice in my married life. It was unexpected when the time came but the decision was obvious the action was quick and I'm grateful that was the case.

We've had large dogs, so their absence left a gaping hole in our small house on top of the emotional hole.

Before having a dog, I used to hear about these "pets are family" feelings and not get it. Now I do.

They are both in cedar boxes at home.