Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 04:57 PM

Changing base map on Garmin Edge 520

I've had my Garmin Edge 520 for about 2 years now and have been generally satisfied. When I first got it, I swapped out Garmin's base map for a more detailed OSM map, following DCRainmaker's instructions.

In his instructions, he points to http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ to create and download the OSM map. That site doesn't seem to be working any more. I can create a map and request it. But the email, with a link to download the map, never arrives. Has anyone else had this issue?

I've been trying to use a different website (https://extract.bbbike.org/) instead. And, while I can create and download a base map, whenever I copy it onto my Edge 520, I get a "Cannot unlock map" error message when the unit boots up. I've tried a few different OSM formats and map file sizes, but I still get that same error message. If I try to load a course and look at the map, no base map is displayed (although the course is displayed). Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2019, 05:10 PM

"There are currently 11274 requests in the queue..."

I've used this site a lot in the past & never saw more than 20 in the que, so I'm guessing it may have been abandoned.

EDIT: I did get a tracking email, though, and the number in the que is different, but it still won't be quick. "This request is #11270 in the queue. The delay is approximately 23.5 days."

Last edited by makoti; 05-20-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:08 PM

I used the site a couple of months ago and it took about two days to get the map.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:24 PM

I just dug back through my email and found the tracking email:

"This request is #2226 in the queue. The delay is approximately 4.6 days."

That was 11 days ago.

I guess I'll have to figure out this "Cannot Unlock Maps" error message.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:00 PM

For the sake of closing the loop here...

I have found how to use maps generated by the extract.bbbike.org website. For my Edge 520, it was a matter of using the correct format (any that uses the "latin1"). Now following DC rainmaker's steps - just using the bbbike.org website to create the map - works as expected.

Details:
On the bbbike website, I found this warning: "By default all generated Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap data will use the code page Unicode (UTF-8). However, some older devices don't support Unicode and some new devices have a broken DRM firmware ("can not unlock map"). In this special case please use the ASCII style. Garmin SRTM extracts use always the ASCII character set."

It sounds like my Edge 520 is one of the devices with "broken DRM firmware." The ASCII style formats appear be those with the (latin1) label. When I create a map using, for instance, the "Garmin Openfietsmap Lite (latin1)" format, my Edge loads it without issue.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:33 PM

You can download precomputed maps from OpenFietsMap for any world region without any delay. Just select a region from the "Chose a Predefined Country" section and a "Download map now!" link should appear.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:28 AM

not sure what's up with the super long queue number stated for garmin.openstreetmap.nl. fwiw I just tried it (this thread reminded me I needed a new map set) and it showed two in the queue.

and my map email arrived while typing this. maybe something got jammed up there and they had to clear the queue...?
Old 05-23-2019, 11:19 AM

As a follow up to the crazy que length... my 23.5 days passed in 3 earth days. Got my email yesterday, so it apparently still works