Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromen View Post
Any trouble with the install?
No. I install the tire without sealant first to set the beads. I do use a compressor. Once the tire is fully installed, I deflate, remove the valve cores, and inject sealant. This keeps the mess to a minimum.

The hardest part was stretching the tires onto the rim. It took some elbow grease and the use of tire irons.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
If you try and run high pressure road tubeless on rims that aren't designed for tubeless, you're going to have a bad time. Dangerous.

Low pressure MTB/cross usage is one thing.
Have experienced problems w/non-tubeless rims setup with tubeless tires on my gravel bike running at 35-45psi, so won't do that again.

Last edited by Dromen; 04-30-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
No. I install the tire without sealant first to set the beads. I do use a compressor. Once the tire is fully installed, I deflate, remove the valve cores, and inject sealant. This keeps the mess to a minimum.

The hardest part was stretching the tires onto the rim. It took some elbow grease and the use of tire irons.
djg21,
Did beads stay seated after deflating? Probably depends on rim profile but have heard of beads sliding to middle after deflating making for a messy sealant install process. (I have had good luck w/tubeless setups on my Belgium+ rims - the 5000s are planned for TLR Roval CLX wheels)
Old 04-30-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
djg21,
Did beads stay seated after deflating? Probably depends on rim profile but have heard of beads sliding to middle after deflating making for a messy sealant install process. (I have had good luck w/tubeless setups on my Belgium+ rims - the 5000s are planned for TLR Roval CLX wheels)
No. After beads were seated, they were fine. As I said, I then removed valve cores and I injected sealant with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/American-Blee...MMRQRJ5BYR5Z7X
Old 04-30-2019, 07:01 PM

I just set up some GP5000 tubeless on a road disc wheelset. Was expecting challenges but was super easy. First bead went on by hand, second one almost by hand. Once on rim, they snapped into place. Pulled core and inflated w/hand pump to 80 psi. It held solid. Deflated and put in about 2oz of orange sealant and re-inflated. Zero issues. Highly recommended.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:27 PM

Thanks. Been running tubeless MTB for years and always wanted to try on the road bike.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo1 View Post
I just set up some GP5000 tubeless on a road disc wheelset. Was expecting challenges but was super easy. First bead went on by hand, second one almost by hand. Once on rim, they snapped into place. Pulled core and inflated w/hand pump to 80 psi. It held solid. Deflated and put in about 2oz of orange sealant and re-inflated. Zero issues. Highly recommended.
sf01,
what wheels/rims?
Old 04-30-2019, 10:17 PM

Token Konax Disc Pro

Quote:
sf01,
what wheels/rims?
Old 05-01-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo1 View Post

Token Konax Disc Pro
Thx fs. Nice looking wheels
Old 05-01-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianchi10 View Post
I have been using Vittoria corsa G+ basically since they came out. Wanted to try these S-works Turbo 2Bliss ready tires, so I bought a set of 28mm. Had the most frustrating time mounting them. No matter what I did, I could not get them to mount perfectly balanced. In the bike stand, when I spun the tire it would have a slight wobble to it. Tried them on the rollers and it was like riding on warped cylinders. I mounted these tires 9 times and 9 different ways! Rotated tires, shifted tires on rim, swapped rim, tried new tubes, tried 18/25 tubes, tried 20-28mm tubes, tried some dish soap thinking maybe it wasn't sealing properly, tried pumping up to 120psi, tried 60psi....ugh. put my Vittoria corsa's back on and perfectly balanced. Brought them to my LBS to confirm that I wasn't crazy. They also could not get them mounted without a wobble. So they warrantied them and gave me another set. same problem though. Returned them, got my money back and ordered some Vittoria corsa 2.0 28mm which also happen to be tubeless ready clinchers.

was genuinely one of the most frustrating days I've ever had working on my own bike. Was close to throwing an Enve across my garage lol
My experience was nothing like yours, save losing a bit of skin on my left thumb while mounting them. But, I think most tires going on the very first time gives you a good fight for your money.

As far as wobbling, not at all. Sorry that you had such a bad day! Very frustrating, I’m sure!!!
Old 05-01-2019, 09:37 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Zero issues with both on HED+ rims setup tubeless.
Schwalbe Pro 1 700x25 - super easy to mount, setup very plump.
Continental GP500 TL 70x28, more difficult to mount. Runs very true to size. I'd let them sit in the sun for a while or in a pile of warm towels out of the dryer and they went on fine. I did soap the bead to help myself out and help everything snap into place.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
What is your favorite tubeless ready road tire and a brief why?

The 25-28mm 700c variety.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I've tired:
1) Pro One - Great but don't seem to seal well. For some reason, probably conditions and goo, these seem to take forever to seal when breached. They'll get poked whenever it is wet out. Don't ride as well as others. Fit a size larger than indicated.

2) Hutchinson 11Storm Galktikcon something - wore out super quick. ~700mi IIRC when I get ~3000mi out of a GP4k or Pro One. I only knew the tire was worn because I saw a patch of orange goo, it sealed a 3in long section of casing that had lost it's rubber. The ride better than GP4k and the Pro Ones. Wonky transition to the main rubber to the sidewalls in cornering. True to size

3) G-One Speed - 30c Great so far. Seem just as fast as 25c tires above.

Gravel
1) Gravel King SK - 35/38/43c Great, don't roll as fast as they should. These roll about 1-2mph slower than road tires in my experience. True to size.
2) Clement / Donnelly USH - 35c Not tubeless, wouldn't mount tubeless on a Stans rim. 120tpi versions don't roll as well as GKs. These are about 2mph slower than road tires, way slower off road compared the GKs - likely due to the higher pressures needed.

In my view, all the talk around tubeless is bigger than the experience. Most people once they try it have a "That's it?" experience. It's a tire without a tube, with a valve stem and tape, with goo - that's it. It works great, particularly with heavier folks on road tires. Tubes should go the way of the tubular tire.

Tires aren't the thing to talk about in my eyes.
The better question is which goo works best with high pressures, wet conditions, and stays liquid the longest?
I've tired Stans and Orange. Stan didn't work for me in the wet. Orange is better all around.

Which valves don't stick? I haven't had any luck here. You either need to inflate the line to 170psi before it opens or remember to prepress it.

Any nice stems? I've tired the E-Thirteen ones, but these don't work well with some pump heads at high pressure.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:12 AM

Folks,
Thanks for all the valuable info. Based on my read, over tubed clinchers i will gain a couple watts of power, reduce some psi for added comfort, improved puncture protection with potentially sketchy initial setup....think im sticking to tubes. Only real perceived advantage for my riding style is the increased flat protection and i just dont suffer many flats as my preferred tires have some puncture protection built in.

Add in the fact my current inventory of road tires sits at 12, or is it 20, sticking with the tried and true. Anybody need any Michelin Pro4s

Thanks again,
Steve