Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2019, 01:34 PM

1x to 2x cassette question

Abandoning the 1x. Gave it a shot and it's just not for me.

I'm going to a subcompact 44/28 crank with the same Rival long cage rear derailleur (Rival 22 clutch RD) that came with the 1x setup. A front derailleur will of course be installed along with the matching Rival 22 front shifter.

Question: If I keep the massive 11 speed cassette on there when I install the double crankset will front shifting efficiency be compromised? Current cassette is Sram with 42t big ring. I think eventually I'd swap it for an 11-36 but if the current 11-42 will work I may keep it to save a few bucks.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:17 PM

There are lots of variables that come into play for quality front shifting, but rear cassette size plays only a minor role. As long as the rear derailleur has the capacity (for cassette and chainring differentials), there'll be little difference in front shifting between the two cassettes.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:22 PM

The SRAM 11 speed clutch RDs (Force CX1, Force 1, Rival 1, Apex 1) don't like being run 2x - they can't handle the extra chain length or adjustments in chainline.

You'll need to switch out for a regular road RD (Force 22, Rival 22, etc) or a 10 speed mountain clutch RD (X9, etc).

And these RDs won't handle your 11-42 cassette in 2x without a RoadLink or similar device to gain more room.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
The SRAM 11 speed clutch RDs (Force CX1, Force 1, Rival 1, Apex 1) don't like being run 2x - they can't handle the extra chain length or adjustments in chainline.

You'll need to switch out for a regular road RD (Force 22, Rival 22, etc) or a 10 speed mountain clutch RD (X9, etc).

And these RDs won't handle your 11-42 cassette in 2x without a RoadLink or similar device to gain more room.
I'm guessing a 10 speed mountain clutch RD will of course allow me to keep my 42 cassette but will it work with 11 speed road shifters? This is good to know, thanks for chiming in.