Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2019, 01:37 PM

Cheapo randonneur - 700c to 650b conversion content

I am wondering what it would be like to build up a commuter and/or randonneur on the cheap. Seems like it would be expedient to find a cheap, lugged 700c frame, and run long reach brakes and 650b wheels and tires. Seems cheaper than finding a currently en Vogue purpose built 650b gravel or porteur, bike anyway.

What is a realistic tire you can fit doing this conversion?

What kind of frames to look out for? There are a million eBay frames for 200$ but I was born in 1985 and don't know a lot of cycling names of previous eras other than the big independent builders. Nishikis, Raleighs, etc. are a dime a dozen. Which ones, if any, are good, and what to look out for?

And where? I would need it to be cheap but good!! Is IBOB the place?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited by zambenini; 08-18-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
I am wondering what it would be like to build up a commuter and/or randonneur on the cheap. Seems like it would be expedient to find a cheap, lugged 700c frame, and run long reach brakes and 650b wheels and tires. Seems cheaper than finding a currently en Vogue purpose built 650b gravel or porteur, bike anyway.

What is a realistic tire you can fit doing this conversion?

What kind of frames to look out for? There are a million eBay frames for 200$ but I was born in 1985 and don't know a lot of cycling names of previous eras other than the big independent builders. Nishikis, Raleighs, etc. are a dime a dozen. Which ones, if any, are good, and what to look out for?

And where? I would need it to be cheap but good!! Is IBOB the place?

Try the 650b google list. There's alot of folks familiar with conversions over there and would be glad to offer up suggestions for what you are after.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:36 PM

What size frame do you need? Have an 80’s Trek 420(?), 57 or 58, will have to check.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:46 PM

650b conversion

My wife has a new old bike that is a 650B conversion. It is a late 70's Trek lugged steel high quality frame that was originally 700c. It has new old Mafac center pull brakes and new Pacenti brevet 650 rims. It has Panaracer 650 x 38 tires. The BB height is fine. The brakes are at the far end of their range of length adjustment but work fine. The fat tires are nice for all round use. It is nice.

Last edited by dmurphey; 08-19-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
What size frame do you need? Have an 80’s Trek 420(?), 57 or 58, will have to check.
I'm 6'2, so I typically ride a 57 or 58. Let's talk!

JZ
Old 08-19-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
I'm 6'2, so I typically ride a 57 or 58. Let's talk!

JZ
Post updates please! I have a beat up but very cool Ciöcc frame I’ve been thinking about trying this with.

BTW, former Dur’m-ite myself.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:41 AM
That guy..

Tim from Granville Bicycles linked me to this when i inquired about "converting" my Marinoni to 650b

https://www.bikeman.com/bikeman-blog...sion-guidlines
Old 08-19-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
Tim from Granville Bicycles linked me to this when i inquired about "converting" my Marinoni to 650b

https://www.bikeman.com/bikeman-blog...sion-guidlines
650,000 hits on that article! Blows my mind... I'm pleased that people still find it useful 12 years after I wrote it.

Ed.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-B View Post
650,000 hits on that article! Blows my mind... I'm pleased that people still find it useful 12 years after I wrote it.

Ed.
Nice info - I'll be spending more time on that. Is that your Heron in the post? I have a Heron Randonneur, recently acquired that I'm planning on repainting. Still trying to sort out what to do about decals.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:42 PM

I swear the lack of utilizing the Search function is turning this place into groundhogs day for bike topics...........

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 650b.jpg (93.5 KB, 121 views)
Old 08-19-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-B View Post

Ed.
Nice work.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
I swear the lack of utilizing the Search function is turning this place into groundhogs day for bike topics...........

Hey I appreciate your feedback. You will see above that the crux of my post also dealt with trying to find a hermeneutic key for sorting out what makes a frame a good candidate beyond the numerical dimensions required, e.g., the linked bike man article, which was exceedingly helpful,doesn't offer insights for understanding what for instance a quote unquote "Japanese bike" is or what makes it good. In other words as my post said, how do you know what Nishikis have desirable ride qualities? Etc.

But whatever thanks for your help anyway.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post

In fact now that I go back and read my original post, the bulk of it dealt primarily with how to sort out bikes from that era and which were any good. I guess I didn't explicitly say this but I know about bottom bracket drop and how Paul racer brakes work. Just trying to figure out if any of these old steel frames that go for cheap on the second third and fourth hand markets are actually worth doing something to.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:31 PM
Steel..what else??

You can look at pics on Google to see what frames people are using.
Also bikeforums.net may be helpful.

https://www.pedalroom.com/bikes/sear...50b+conversion

Last edited by Big Dan; 08-19-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Nice info - I'll be spending more time on that. Is that your Heron in the post? I have a Heron Randonneur, recently acquired that I'm planning on repainting. Still trying to sort out what to do about decals.
All the bikes in that article are my bikes. I still have all of them, and there are a few more 650B conversions I've done in the years since.

When that article was written gravel bikes didn't exist, and road bikes with disc brakes were in their infancy. There was quite a bit of initial resistance to 650B wheels when this size was brought back to market. It was Jan Heine and Grant Petersen who did it, and the original model was the old French rando bike. But Grant was the catalyst for 650B conversions. And I think that the ability to do 650B conversions on existing bikes kept it going when it might have otherwise faded away into obscurity again. Once Kirk Pacenti got into the act with his fast road tires, and - more significantly - his mountain bike tires, rims, and frame endeavors, things really took off. And now this convergence with gravel bikes running disc brakes and clearance for big tires has taken it full scale.

For me it's been great to see how things have evolved these last dozen years. It's very easy to buy or assemble a modern disc brake 650B bike with standard products now. And while I really enjoy the new technologies, e.g. disc brakes, thru axles, etc., there's still something that I find amazing about the transformation that happens when a vintage racing or sport touring bike gets converted to 650B. It's like a whole different rig. And, if you go full retro-mod and upgrade to integrated controls with compact/wide-ratio drivetrains, the resultant bike is in a different league. They're like all-road hot rods.

So yeah, I'm very happy that people keep reading this old article and they're still converting their vintage bikes to 650B. It's still a fun little niche in our sport and hobby.

Last edited by Ed-B; 08-19-2019 at 06:53 PM.