Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdenver1961 View Post
I work in a Bank. What are you talking about a bank is a symbol of inequality?
It's a symbol. Banks are for 'haves', 'have nots' have no banks. Symbolism.

Just as a Mercedes is a symbol of wealth, and an F-150 is a symbol of the working man. Doesn't make it so, just a symbol.

Last edited by mistermo; 06-02-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Huh? Yes that is my job......redlining as much as I possibly can......(sarcasm)

I think you are painting with a pretty broad brush.
The banking system has a deep history of excluding minority from access to the financial tools that would create sustainable, long-term wealth, most notably government-guaranteed mortgages.

It took until the FHA in 1968 to explicitly bar the practice of redlining, and it still informally goes on today, as much as the industry would like to admit otherwise. And that's just one slice of a whole cornucopia of restrictions on consumer credit, account access, the works. The Wells Fargo account scandal was just two years ago and included pushing borrowers into mortgages that were more expensive for their credit criteria than a nonminority applicant.

Does the industry do a better job today than it has in the past? Yes. Does it still have a long way to go? Yes. It's a broad brush because the issue is as vast and sprawling as the financial system itself.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I work in a Bank. What are you talking about a bank is a symbol of inequality?
Not trying to trigger anyone, and I don't work in a bank but a 30 second google search for racism and banking, or redlining, lending stats for minority-owned businesses, discrimination among POC bank employees is all well documented and easily apparent. This can't be new information for anyone working in the industry unless they choose to look the other way. When we're able to move on beyond personal defensiveness and recognize inequality and racism is systemic rather than an evil personal character flaw, and we all have daily opportunities to push systems we live and work in to one direction or another is when change can happen.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
living in a deep south and in a very, very red state, and the NFL/kneeling fiasco was all the talk, I'd get the weirdest looks when I'd call Kapernick a 'Hero." There's lots of people out there that just don't get it...maybe if the sway of social media gets to some of these folks, the world might be a better place.
Exactly, happens in purple states too.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:56 PM

Resecting the cancer but not treating the lifestyle. Why should we hold accountable corporations which are legal persons in a mode of production in which racism is an ideology. Racism didn't exist in Greece or Persia or Mesoamerica. It's a construct which underpins a superstructure. Corporations are part of the problem; holding them accountable or expecting them to be more benevolent will not contribute in any structural way to defeating or moving past a time and place where racism exists and will continue to exist until the new mode of production supersedes the current one.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabyjones View Post
Resecting the cancer but not treating the lifestyle. Why should we hold accountable corporations which are legal persons in a mode of production in which racism is an ideology. Racism didn't exist in Greece or Persia or Mesoamerica. It's a construct which underpins a superstructure. Corporations are part of the problem; holding them accountable or expecting them to be more benevolent will not contribute in any structural way to defeating or moving past a time and place where racism exists and will continue to exist until the new mode of production supersedes the current one.
My experience is, admittedly, anecdotal, but I recently worked for several years in a large (> 40,000 employees) western US corporation in which I saw no evidence of institutional racism. Non-Caucasian employees, both male and female, occupied positions in every level of the organization, including senior executive. While there is evidence that some corporations exhibit racist behavior, I believe your assertion that corporations are inherently racist is not compelling.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:23 PM
mentholated

did that large western corporation subscribe to any type of predatory practices?
Old 06-02-2020, 08:06 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I moved to a poor predominantly white area of NYS at 11 years old after my father went to prison. I was harassed and targeted by the local law enforcement since I was 13 years old. I have had plenty of experiences that most folks on here would not be able to relate to. I am certainly not pretending that racism isn’t a thing, but I probably have more in common with folks of color than you think in regards to this type of treatment, but that isn’t the official narrative and is largely never reported.

Those who run the world want us all divided so that we overlook what is really happening whether it be politics, race, religion and so on to keep
us all controllable and ignorant to how the sausage is made. Keeping human beings from realizing the real enemy are those at the top who are unelected and largely unknown that pull the strings of both corporations and politics across the globe. Keep the peasants fighting amongst themselves while they loot and pillage the world.

I understand the frustrations of people living in an unjust world as I lived that struggle from a young age until I was practically 30 years old, but they are misguided and all the media outlets do is stoke the flames while people soak it up more and more. It is right out of the Marxist playbook, but people just don’t see the big picture when all that is projected to them is race or some other loaded topic. Black people aren’t the only marginalized race in this country and the truth is more white people are shot by police every year, but that doesn’t fit the narrative. We are all in this together and until we realize that then these problems will persist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only as an absolute number, not as a percentage of the population. Then it is completely reversed. If the population of both groups were the same then black people would in absolute terms, be dying from police in greater numbers. I believe that death from police is the 3rd leading cause of death amoung black men. Please excuse me if that stat is incorrect.

Last edited by Black Dog; 06-02-2020 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:04 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

In December everyone was talking about WW3 and N. Korea.
In January everyone was praying for Australia and donating to the wild fires.
In February everyone was a Pandemic expert seemingly.
In March everyone was into 'Social Distancing' to flatten the curve.
In April everyone was 'hero' and "staying home and staying safe" was the thing.
In May, that went out the window and large protests are now OK and encouraged by nearly every media outlet and large company. Covid isn't a thing anymore because there is a new thing.

Point is, none of these were proactive, they were all reactive. If you have a cause you care about keep on fighting, but to constantly jump to the next big thing based on what other people are currently preaching and putting on a pedestal isn't really groundbreaking stuff here, it's Marketing 101. On to the next one, let's talk about disc brakes some more.

Last edited by kppolich; 06-02-2020 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:37 PM

I'll be happy when the bicycle industry "gets it" in regards to something that matters to the Country. These Men are here for you. Still.

In the last 96 hours...
-A Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Officer was shot in the back of the head while struggling with a rioter
-An active shooter opened fire on law enforcement at a Las Vegas courthouse
-4 St. Louis Police Officers were shot by an active shooter
-A New York Police Officer was struck by a vehicle
-3 Buffalo law enforcement officers were struck by a vehicle in front of the police station
-3 Davenport law enforcement officers were ambushed and 1 was shot
-132 officers were injured in Chicago during a riot
-9 Pittsburg officers were injured by objects during a riot
-Several officers in Rhode Island were injured during riots
-An active shooter opened fire at the Oakland Police Department
-2 officers were struck in the head with projectiles in Santa Ana
-2 Richland officers were shot in Virginia
-1 officer was struck in the head by a brick in Albany
-4 Prince William County Police Officers sustained head injuries from projectiles
-7 officers were injured in Sacramento
-Several officers were shot at and injured in Lynchburg
-Several Champaign Police Officers were injured
-3 Oak Law Police Officers were injured
-21 officers were injured in Salt Lake City
-At least 50 Secret Service Agents were injured by Molotov cocktails in Washington
-3 Denver Police Officers were ran over by a vehicle
-33 New York Police Officers were injured during riots
-6 Athens Police Officers injured during a protest
-2 Capitol Police Officers were injured during a riot in Harrisburg
-12 Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Officers were injured during riots
-21 Minneapolis law enforcement officers injured in riots
-1 Federal Protective Services Officer was shot and killed.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:16 PM

Good god, how about the tens of thousands of unprovoked, innocent protesters they're bombarding with tear gas, flash bangs, and "less lethal" (but still permanently maiming) rounds at point blank range. Riot police are bringing the riot.

Allowing vigilante white supremacist groups to run all over towns. Attacking medics, journalists, and those giving food and water to protesters. Assaulting women and children. Starting their own cruisers on fire, smashing windows, and planting weapons to blame civillians.

These police are thugs.

Last edited by jtbadge; 06-02-2020 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:25 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

Chapeaus are off to the moderators doing superb yeoman service managing these threads. Bravo!
Old 06-02-2020, 10:48 PM

Nvrmnd. Not going to feed the trolls.

JTBADGE: +10000

Last edited by Clean39T; 06-02-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:51 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skenry View Post
I'll be happy when the bicycle industry "gets it" in regards to something that matters to the Country. These Men are here for you. Still.

In the last 96 hours...
-A Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Officer was shot in the back of the head while struggling with a rioter
-An active shooter opened fire on law enforcement at a Las Vegas courthouse
-4 St. Louis Police Officers were shot by an active shooter
-A New York Police Officer was struck by a vehicle
-3 Buffalo law enforcement officers were struck by a vehicle in front of the police station
-3 Davenport law enforcement officers were ambushed and 1 was shot
-132 officers were injured in Chicago during a riot
-9 Pittsburg officers were injured by objects during a riot
-Several officers in Rhode Island were injured during riots
-An active shooter opened fire at the Oakland Police Department
-2 officers were struck in the head with projectiles in Santa Ana
-2 Richland officers were shot in Virginia
-1 officer was struck in the head by a brick in Albany
-4 Prince William County Police Officers sustained head injuries from projectiles
-7 officers were injured in Sacramento
-Several officers were shot at and injured in Lynchburg
-Several Champaign Police Officers were injured
-3 Oak Law Police Officers were injured
-21 officers were injured in Salt Lake City
-At least 50 Secret Service Agents were injured by Molotov cocktails in Washington
-3 Denver Police Officers were ran over by a vehicle
-33 New York Police Officers were injured during riots
-6 Athens Police Officers injured during a protest
-2 Capitol Police Officers were injured during a riot in Harrisburg
-12 Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Officers were injured during riots
-21 Minneapolis law enforcement officers injured in riots
-1 Federal Protective Services Officer was shot and killed.
Are they all here for everyone equally? That is what you seem to be glossing over.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Chapeaus are off to the moderators doing superb yeoman service managing these threads. Bravo!
I just saw this thread as I've been away all day.

I think we need a cooling off period as some good points seemed to be originally made but it looks like it's devolved.