Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
is it really? posting to other people that share the same mentality as you. To me feels more like a I want a pat in the back thing. I think its important to show what side you are on but I also think a lot of us are doing it wrong.

And now there is a blacklash about the black square posts because when people that are out there searching for information their feet is all black squares so this is actually hindering the cause. BLM activists are urging people to delete their pictures.
No doubt. I really hope no one gets hurt while patting themselves on the back. It can be a very awkward movement.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:11 AM

Just out of curiosity how many people in here besides myself have been out protesting?
Old 06-02-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Just out of curiosity how many people in here besides myself have been out protesting?
We all engage in our own way, and I hope people are pushing themselves a little outside of their comfort zone to support this cause. Whether that be protesting, donating, opening conversations with friends and family, or just being vocal on social media.

That said, I protested.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitlets View Post
We all engage in our own way, and I hope people are pushing themselves a little outside of their comfort zone to support this cause. Whether that be protesting, donating, opening conversations with friends and family, or just being vocal on social media.

That said, I protested.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:27 AM

It's out my window every night. Helicopters, flash-bangs, sirens. Militarized police in riot gear. I can't go join - immune-compromised spouse that I can't risk infecting - but my heart is with them and I'm looking for other avenues of support. I'll be posting a large amount of gear for sale later today with proceeds to go to a local non-profit that provides bicycles to low-income, minority, and under-served populations. It's not enough, but it's something.

Last edited by Clean39T; 06-02-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
No doubt. I really hope no one gets hurt while patting themselves on the back. It can be a very awkward movement.
It may not be much but patting oneself on the back for being anti-racist is enough to upset casual racists so it’s something.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryker View Post
It may not be much but patting oneself on the back for being anti-racist is enough to upset casual racists so it’s something.
Loved a comment
Old 06-02-2020, 12:00 PM

The vast majority of casual racists aren't looking at your Instagram, don't care what you think, and vote in every single election every time. That's what we are up against.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
This will be a marathon, not a sprint.

When Kapernick (sp?) was taking a knee, and everyone thought it was disrespectful, I was the only one in church who stood during prayer, while everyone else knelt. Told them I didn't want to be disrespectful. Hopefully, it caused some to think outside their respective box. Little things can make a difference. Direct confrontation usually causes one to cement and defend their view.

Two weeks ago I was in Michigan. We rented a big RV to go up and collect kid's belongings from boarding school. We figured the safest, most quarantined way would be to rent RV and stay inside, eat inside. We could take the poodlle too. We parked overnight in a marina parking lot. Early the next morning there was a knock on the RV door. County Sheriff asked WhatTF I was up to? I told him, he understood, and was cool. NEVER ONCE DID HE ASK FOR MY ID. I'm middle aged, polite, white guy with kids and a poodle. After Mr Sheriff left, I commented immediately that if I were Hispanic or black, in a tank top, with tattoos and pit bull, EVEN POLITE, the situation would've been remarkably different.

My neighbors are black. They said they'd have NEVER parked there overnight. They are FAR more cautious about how they interact with society, than I am. Assess this as you wish, but this is the state of our country.

Last edited by mistermo; 06-02-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:15 PM

They say in Harlan County, there are no neutrals there...
Old 06-02-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
The vast majority of casual racists aren't looking at your Instagram, don't care what you think, and vote in every single election every time. That's what we are up against.

At some level it is an identity-making exercise, a prodding to those asleep, and part of a cultural shift. These things will precede any success at the ballot box.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryker View Post
At some level it is an identity-making exercise, a prodding to those asleep, and part of a cultural shift. These things will precede any success at the ballot box.
I want to believe that. It’s just hard for me after seeing Bernie supporters all over the internet yet when the primaries came around they were nowhere to be found and it was the same age demographic as always that showed up to vote. I’m afraid that people on social media are unknowingly in an echo chamber and it is distorting their perception of the way things really are. That’s why some people are looking at this as self congratulatory even though it’s still a good thing to do. 2016-present has made me even more cynical so I’m sorry that I take that out on others.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:38 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitlets View Post

That said, I protested.
Didn't go protest...watched what was happening on on TV (about 20 blocks from my home)...felt bad for protesters whose message was overwhelmed by the looters. Disgusted by the news reporting that could not seem to distinguish between the two groups.

Very impressed by the volunteers that showed up the early next morning to help clean up the broken glass and remove graffiti. People of all colors working together....

I guess the troublemakers are not early risers...
Old 06-02-2020, 12:55 PM

No way I'm protesting in the middle of the pandemic on top of the risk of injury/death. I'd have to travel into the city, which I wouldn't do for any reason right now anyway due to the pandemic.

And locally (hyper-locally) we really don't have a police issue here. Our local PD has already sent out a letter in support of the protests and doubling down on holding themselves accountable.

My employer has espoused support for the demonstrations & promised to match donations up to $1000/employee to eligible charities...

I am thinking of going that route, but they didn't provide any information on what the eligible charities are. If enough charities are eligible and enough people participate the company has essentially promised about $15M in matches, which seems pretty good.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:01 PM

One last thing before I go for a bike ride and this thread gets locked for being political. It’s not Republican versus Democrat anymore. In case you haven’t noticed the debate is long over. Facts cannot even be considered and discussed. The question is whether or not you’re on the side of a free Democratic, respected, constitutional country where the color of your skin doesn’t determine your life’s outcome. Think about that after the mods lock this.
Closed Thread