Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2020, 05:52 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt2u77 View Post
My vote would be to go a step up in size from the Corolla/Civic compacts to the Camry/Accord level. In my experience, the suspensions and drivetrains are built better and stand up to the rigors of commuting better. Reduced road/cabin noise, slightly better crashworthiness, and lower insurance costs more than make up for the couple of mpgs you lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. I have noticed that too.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:42 AM

Check out the Mazda line. According to Consumer Reports they are now one of the most reliable brands. Honda seems to have dropped down quite a bit.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CU rankings.jpg (109.5 KB, 161 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CR most reliable cars.pdf (942.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-31-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Check out the Mazda line. According to Consumer Reports they are now one of the most reliable brands. Honda seems to have dropped down quite a bit.

Tim
Seriously, I feel like I dropped the ball by not suggesting a Miata.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:47 PM

Mazda might have ranked higher but almost every 3 series from 2014-18 had bugs develop in the pop-up screen. Mazda extended the warranty to cover them and replaced them free. It took a few years for them to recognize the problem and for a while we thought we might have to either buy a used screen for $3-400 or pay a dealer $900 for a new one. I was very pleased Mazda did the right thing.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt2u77 View Post
My vote would be to go a step up in size from the Corolla/Civic compacts to the Camry/Accord level. In my experience, the suspensions and drivetrains are built better and stand up to the rigors of commuting better. Reduced road/cabin noise, slightly better crashworthiness, and lower insurance costs more than make up for the couple of mpgs you lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This might be good advice-- This will be a commute that's 50 mostly rural miles round trip, including lots of bad pavement in the county. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
This might be good advice-- This will be a commute that's 50 mostly rural miles round trip, including lots of bad pavement in the county. Thanks for the heads-up.
First gen Porsche Boxster. Rent a minivan for the occasional family outing.

Yea, it will cost you more. Much more for maintenance. But put the top down, blast down those rural roads and you'll be in heaven.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-31-2020, 06:28 PM

I emailed you 3 Scotty Kilmer videos on best used cars.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
How much do you value comfort and crashworthiness? So many of the comments above are about reliability and fuel economy and those are surely important considerations but maybe a bigger car would be worth consideration even if it used a little more fuel. Just one example from MY perspective: I would rather commute on SoCal freeways in rush hour in a Camry than a Yaris. We have a 2014 Mazda 3 sedan that still drives like new at 70,000 miles and only had one problem with its pop-up screen. That was a common problem so Mazda extended warranty coverage on all of them and replaced the screens free.

"My" car is a 2019 Civic Si and for $25,000 out-the-door it is LOTS of fun with terrific driving dynamics, comfy interior and 32 mpg overall since new. Only routine maintenance but that's only been one visit since it hasn't even hit 8,000 miles yet. I'm retired so even when not avoiding COV-19 it can sit in the garage for days at a time. Routine service is a bit more expensive than the Mazda but this may well be due to different price models between the two dealers. FWIW Pacific Honda's service department only rates a "C" from me whereas John Hine Mazda is an "A".
The Prius has many fine qualities. I have a VW Golf Alltrack (mine) and a Prius V (my wife's). Great gas mileage, lots of room. The most significant downside to a Prius is that you have to drive a Prius. You know how they make a Prius: you start with a perfect car, and distill out everything that makes a car fun to drive. What's left is a Prius.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:20 PM

The Prius is perfect in its own way.

Want a car that you can put hundreds of thousands of miles on without remorse?
Want a car you can get great mileage hauling 2 bikes and 2 people or tons of gear?
Beat the crap out of?
Not really maintain beyond oil changes, brakes, tires?
Be small enough to park with easy yet swallow the mentioned-above?
Not rust ridiculously?
It’s the perfect car. Wonder why they sold so many.

You can still throw it into a corner. It’s more efficient not to use the brakes. Not everybody needs to race to work.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:53 PM

Lots of Fit recommendations, but would you really feel comfortable with your children in a tiny subcompact? I recommend an Accord, if only for the extra safety. There’s a reason the Accord has made Car & Driver’s 10 Best list more than any other car.

Last edited by pjm; 05-31-2020 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
The Prius is perfect in its own way.

Want a car that you can put hundreds of thousands of miles on without remorse?
Want a car you can get great mileage hauling 2 bikes and 2 people or tons of gear?
Beat the crap out of?
Not really maintain beyond oil changes, brakes, tires?
Be small enough to park with easy yet swallow the mentioned-above?
Not rust ridiculously?
It’s the perfect car. Wonder why they sold so many.

You can still throw it into a corner. It’s more efficient not to use the brakes. Not everybody needs to race to work.
Its own way wouldn't be my way. Ooops, I didn't mean that to sound snarky. I mean I value some other things in addition to cheap/ dependable. Fun to drive or serene environment and/or nice sound system, etc.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 05-31-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:24 PM

I really like the Lexus / Acura line from a few years ago.
My 04 TL had 280k and still going strong but rust beat the driveline tonth3 graveyard. The Lexus line is just as good imho.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:37 PM

Not exciting but practical, 4 door sedans-
https://www.autotrader.com/best-cars...81474979919588
Old 05-31-2020, 10:18 PM

I owned a 2005 Prius that did everything Stien lists, but even though I am no longer the motorhead I was when young, I traded it in because it was like driving a mini-oldsmobile. That exciting! The Fit at least feels taut and sporty.

I think there's good advice in this thread, given the actual drive you have, to go up a notch in size and comfort to the Accord level of vehicle.

This thread makes me wonder how many miles my mom's Camry has on it. It's probably 15 years old. She still occasionally drives (at 95-1/2 years old) - She told me she's staying very safe due to COVID-19 but she drives the car around once a week to keep it from just sitting.

I bet it doesn't have 30K miles...
Old 05-31-2020, 10:47 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
This thread makes me wonder how many miles my mom's Camry has on it. It's probably 15 years old. She still occasionally drives (at 95-1/2 years old) - She told me she's staying very safe due to COVID-19 but she drives the car around once a week to keep it from just sitting.

I bet it doesn't have 30K miles...
Yeah, but they've been TOUGH miles...