Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2020, 11:49 PM

Need an affordable used commuter car- what should I get?

My family needs to bite the bullet and get a second car, mostly for me to commute on days I can't ride and to travel for work. It won't need to be a gear-hauler or adventuremobile, although those things are a bonus. Being able to run two child seats in the back is a bonus too. We're looking in the $8000-9000 ballpark (in the California used car market). What should I get? I'm not savvy with car mechanics, so don't tell me to find a deal that just needs a little DIY work in the garage.

I just saw Hertz filed for bankruptcy protection and they have some cheap vehicles... but they're the budget-line Nissan Versa and Sentra, which have a spotty reputation for reliability and some aspects are not well reviewed. I'd prefer to get a Toyota or Honda to serve this need instead, but they hold value much better than the Nissans and are out of our price range in comparable mileages. Is a higher mileage Honda Civic a better buy than a lower mileage Nissan or Hyundai?

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?
Old 05-30-2020, 12:01 AM

You can get a decent Prius for that much money, you pretty much can’t go wrong.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...129121961.html

Something like this is what I’d buy.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:01 AM

toyota: prius or yaris. their only commuters still made in japan. Do not buy third gen priuses. they have an EGR problem that eventually cooks the engine. 2nd gen will need a new battery shortly if it hasn't been replaced. fourth gen is an incredible car. i've had many priuses if you can't tell. the batteries last about ten years. time, not use, kills them. the matrix is also an excellent bombproof vehicle especially the standard transmission one. pre '19 rav 4s have extremely reliable 4cylinder with 6speed auto that make it to 200k no sweat, but they are not made in japan.

kia and hyundai has transferable 100k mile powertrain warranties. unbeatable. sonata, elantra, soul, all great commuter vehicles with excellent warranties. mechanic friend drives a soul because the last thing he wants to do is work on his own car (aside from him owning like ten vintage jaguars)

honda is going turbo/direct injection these days. recommend not buying.

Last edited by cinema; 05-30-2020 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:24 AM

Camry, Corolla or Matrix. Watch Scotty Kilmer on YouTube for his used car advice. I have a 2004 Camry only spend money on oil changes and one brake job. RAV4s are also awesome.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:26 AM

It might not be the most gas-efficient, but there's a 2012 Subaru Impreza hatchback with 77k miles in my range. Wondering if that's a good deal if I can leverage the dealer on the price.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:27 AM

Look at the honda fit.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:31 AM

I might add I don't think compact is going to work because the car seat capability is important. I want to be able to go pick up kids if necessary.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:35 AM

A Toyota or Honda with an inline 4 is the way to go. A Prius is a good option, though be careful of mileage in terms of battery maintenance. Camry, Civic, Accord are all stellar commuter options in terms of ease of ownership.

Skip Subarus as they are somehow even more rattly and underpowered than their counterparts from other manufacturers. Around 100k the Subaru will need timing belt, water pump, radiator, etc replaced and you can count on a $1k repair bill to do all of this properly. Plus there is little benefit to the AWD if you're in a dry place.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:36 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
It might not be the most gas-efficient, but there's a 2012 Subaru Impreza hatchback with 77k miles in my range. Wondering if that's a good deal if I can leverage the dealer on the price.
I have a '14 Impreza with a bit over 130k miles on it and in general it's been a very good car. If I had to do it all over again I'd probably have gotten the turbo (WRX), but that isn't really relevant to your decision. About 2/3 of my driving is highway commuting during low-traffic hours. During the summer I get over 35 mpg, and during the winter ~33 mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyczo View Post
Look at the honda fit.
My sister has an ~2010 Fit and she loves it. She's driven it all over Maine and Massachusetts and hasn't had any significant problems at all.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
It’s alright but Subaru’s don’t seem especially reliable compared to Toyotas.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
I might add I don't think compact is going to work because the car seat capability is important. I want to be able to go pick up kids if necessary.
some highlanders in your price range have a great v6 and are extremely reliable. downside is they have a timing belt. the later rav 4s moved back to a timing chain, like our 2017 rav4.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:40 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
It’s alright but Subaru’s don’t seem especially reliable compared to Toyotas.
My Impreza hasn't been as reliable as my Acura Integra (greatest car ever built) but that's setting the bar pretty high. And, comparing on an equivalent basis, (since the Acura was a '97 and the Subie is a '14) the Impreza was less expensive.

Some people bad-mouth Subarus. I'm willing to admit that they aren't top-notch like Hondas or Toyotas, but for what you get at the price you pay they're IMO certainly good enough.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:56 AM
n - 1

Another vote for a Honda Fit. About 10 years ago, I bought one second hand for around $8k. Had 70k miles on it. 2007, 5-sp sport. Quite zippy for a 1.5L. Also fit 3 bikes in the back and could’ve fit a 4th. (Front wheels off). Magic seats allow very tall items to fit as well. I’ve fit a 7-foot table with 8 chairs, something like 900 bottled waters, various lumber. It’s like a mini-minivan. You just keep cramming stuff in and it....fits. Along with my two kids. Such a useful car.
I’d recommend it over any other subcompact.

Last edited by p nut; 05-30-2020 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:01 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Don't dismiss the Fit without checking one out in person. I've been in my sister's plenty of times, but haven't really loaded one up in person, but as p nut suggests above, they're legendary for their ability to hold a lot more stuff than you'd think based purely on exterior looks.

Last edited by Louis; 05-30-2020 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:09 AM

+1 on the Fit.