Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2020, 08:34 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Are Speedplay X2 pedals discontinued?

just had my order canx'd.

I know Speedplay was bought out. Does anyone have any insight or know what is going on?
Old 03-05-2020, 08:35 PM
commuter racer

Pretty certain they were discontinued...
Old 03-05-2020, 09:34 PM
50 bpm

Yes. Confirmed with the company's sale to Wahoo last year.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
just had my order canx'd.

I know Speedplay was bought out. Does anyone have any insight or know what is going on?
Good question. I know that WAHOO reps are talking to BIG retailers of SP pedals about things like X2 pedals..and Frogs also. The one, local BIG one I talked to 2 days ago mentioned that WAHOO intends to cnx X series BUT many retailers didn't like that decision at all..BUT, WAHOO is full of bean counters..I wouldn't be surprised that X series and Frogs go away..too bad..

BTW-NO product available until about March 20th as well, like cleats...To Retailers..ExCel sports in this instance,
Old 03-06-2020, 08:12 AM

Anyone heard anything about the Syzr's? Hope they continue to manufacture and sell them as well as the cleats. I know they are polarizing like a lot of Speedplay stuff but I have them on my gravel bike and love them for that purpose. But I never got the impression they were a hot seller. Too bad about the X2's, my main road pedal. So that's only going to leave the X1 Ti and X3 Chrom Moly versions? Or are they doing away with the X series completely? thanks
Old 03-06-2020, 08:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1A View Post
Anyone heard anything about the Syzr's? Hope they continue to manufacture and sell them as well as the cleats. I know they are polarizing like a lot of Speedplay stuff but I have them on my gravel bike and love them for that purpose. But I never got the impression they were a hot seller. Too bad about the X2's, my main road pedal. So that's only going to leave the X1 Ti and X3 Chrom Moly versions? Or are they doing away with the X series completely? thanks
I 'think' the entire X series lineup is going to get axed. Along with Frogs..no idea about SYZRs.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:23 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I 'think' the entire X series lineup is going to get axed. Along with Frogs..no idea about SYZRs.
I wish Wahoo would develop power meter X-2s.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:25 AM

Unfortunate, at least IMO... I think a lot of people would say the X series is what built Speedplay. Must be a gazillion of them out there. That probably means you soon won't be able to get X cleats and have to buy Zero pedals and cleats which is great for Wahoo if you own several bikes but would be quite an investment. I hope they at least continue to manufacture them stateside...
Old 03-06-2020, 08:31 AM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Good question. I know that WAHOO reps are talking to BIG retailers of SP pedals about things like X2 pedals..and Frogs also. The one, local BIG one I talked to 2 days ago mentioned that WAHOO intends to cnx X series BUT many retailers didn't like that decision at all..BUT, WAHOO is full of bean counters..I wouldn't be surprised that X series and Frogs go away..too bad..

BTW-NO product available until about March 20th as well, like cleats...To Retailers..ExCel sports in this instance,
Yeah it was Excel that canx'd my order. Both the set of cleats & a set of X2s. Argh.

Soooooo, for those of use with a crap ton of X2s -- are the ultra light action pedals/cleats compatible with the X series? Does anyone have experience with the ultra lights?
Old 03-06-2020, 08:44 AM

Unfortunate. My wife has been on X series and frogs as long as she has been riding. I think my spare parts stockpile is about depleted too.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:44 AM

Someone is selling new X cleats on Ebay for $124.97 but at least the shipping is free. Let the gouging begin...
Old 03-06-2020, 10:55 AM

Argh

Damn. Been on X2s for as long as they've been around I think. Every road bike has them. The other recent pedal thread had me considering a move to Shimano. This may be coming sooner than I thought. No way I'm paying a huge amount for cleats. Sucks my nicest shoes are SP specific too. Could be in a real pickle.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:12 AM

opening up the float adjustment to max should allow zeros to function like X in practice? while the total amount of float may not quite be as much, it should be pretty close yes?

granted, if you've committed to X pedals across your entire fleet as i have, it's a huge investment to change over all of them to zeros...

Last edited by wallymann; 03-06-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
opening up the float adjustment to max should allow zeros to function like X in practice? while the total amount of float may not quite be as much, it should be pretty close yes?
This.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:25 AM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

Wink Too bad......

I have a small fortune in all the “X” series pedals. Probably about 18-20 pair on bikes or in boxes waiting to install on new builds. I’ll probably just start making my own repair parts