Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 11:38 AM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I think your first mistake was buying used. I also bought used and was a good deal and then had to buy a new set of hoses and man are those expensive. I always buy used as well but I think with hydro things get expensive quick unless all the parts are there and all the parts fit your system (hose length).

My bleed for front wheel went very well, felt great quick. Rear took a bit more work as it always does. I also had to overfill a bit to get the bite point right. Sketchy because they warn against over filling and I would probably not do it on the front wheel but on the rear I am not as worried. Has been working very well for many miles now and brakes still feel super nice.
100% same experience. Bought used on here and had to buy a new set of hoses. Fronts bled fine the first time, but the rears took two bleed attempts to get a "solid" lever feel. Since then, I've put many miles on this setup and have had no issues.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:46 AM

I wonder why hoses would be the thing that needs replacement the most? I would think the problem would mostly stem from the brifter. After disassembly the calipers are dead simple in design.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:34 PM
shimergo

It doesn't necessarily need to be replaced, but depends on a couple of factors. Primary factor is hose length on the used set up vs. actual length needed for your frame size. For example, you'll need a longer length hose for your XL frame if you bought a set up from someone who used it on a XS frame. I actually didn't have to replace the hose on mine, but I did it anyways for the peace of mind.