Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2024, 05:47 PM
n - 1

About to purchase road pedals and shoes for the first time

I’ve been cycling well over 30 years. And I’m going to try road shoes for the first time. All I’ve used are Shimano, CB and Time MTB pedals. (Currently Time)

Pedals - I like Time pedals (although CS stinks). How well regarded are Time road pedals?

Shoes - Currently on Sidi Dominators. Should I look at Sidi as well? I’d like Boa. I like the Specialized offering as well. Their MTB shoes fit me well in the past.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:51 PM

Shimano SPD-SL pedals are the best out there, for road riding. SPD reigns supreme for mountain biking and touring. It's that simple, imho.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:54 PM
#RYFB

Apologies for not actually answering your specific questions.

I rode Speedplays for many years, switched to Shimano briefly, now use Look compatibles (Favero). If I were buying today I'd go back to Shimano.

Oddly, the pedals that I've had the most trouble with are a pair of Time MTB -- even in the most relaxed setting, irrespective of cleat setup, they often refuse to release. They may just be a lemon pair, but I hate those f***ers.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:58 PM

Bike shoes are like any other shoes, they have to work for YOUR feet. I have narrow feet. Giro is what works for me. I buy the top of the line when they are on sale and don't care about the color.

SPD-SL on my road bikes. Dura Ace when on sale or get em here on the forum. SPD on gravel- Giro shoes.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:12 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I haven't ridden Time road pedals, but one of the guys I used to work for loves them

I've been on most generations of Shimano road pedals from 7401 thru today. They all work and continue to work for years.

Rode Speedplays till I started racing in clips and double straps at the track. The difference between loosey goosey and locked down got me to switch to SPD-Rs on the road. SPD-Rs weren't the best choice...

OP: are you racing on the road? If you aren't, mtn pedals work fine. I ride my CX bikes on the road on them most days.

Moved away from ATACs when I started racing CX. Riding up to the barriers on Times was just too 'gummy.' I yard saled a few times before I changed pedal systems. The positive click of the SPDs is mo bettah

Long-winded. The TLR version is 'if you aren't racing, mtn pedals work fine.'

M
Old 03-27-2024, 06:25 PM

If you're in Sidi's and they work, I wouldn't mess with that. Why add another confusing factor?
Old 03-27-2024, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Apologies for not actually answering your specific questions.

I rode Speedplays for many years, switched to Shimano briefly, now use Look compatibles (Favero). If I were buying today I'd go back to Shimano.

Oddly, the pedals that I've had the most trouble with are a pair of Time MTB -- even in the most relaxed setting, irrespective of cleat setup, they often refuse to release. They may just be a lemon pair, but I hate those f***ers.
Aren't you risking injury riding on pedals that don't release?
Old 03-27-2024, 07:43 PM

SPD-SL all the way for road. Time for MTB & cyclocross.

Shoes are a personal fit thing. If Sidi works for you, stick with them. My wide feet really like Bont.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:16 PM

I prefer Time because their retention system is solid but clipping in and out is simple. Tried SPD-Sl and while the platform felt more stable, the process of clipping in was not as simple as that on the I-clic system.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:44 PM

I used TIME i-clics Carbons before I switched to Shimano SPD-SL. Would not recommend.

Biggest issue is they unclip suddenly and without warning, which almost caused me to crash twice. Shimanos will float freely until it hits the edge of the available motion and you'll hit a hard stop, where you'll have to be very deliberate in kicking your heel out, the TIMEs will keep letting you float and all of a sudden you'll be unclipped. Fortunately my balls lived to tell the story, but barely.

Last edited by rice rocket; 03-27-2024 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:59 PM

Absolutely go for Sidi shoes. I switched from mountain shoes and pedals (on the road) to road shoes and pedals as well, and went from Sidi Dominators to Sidi Genius. The shoes are so similar, your feet won't know the difference, and that's a good thing.

I think road shoes and pedals are the only way to go for road cycling. Good road pedals have a *huge* platform that for me was transformative. I love the feeling of putting down the power that road pedals provide. I hope you discover the same feeling.

While there are lots of options for road pedals, I suggest you really only need to consider Time, Shimano, and Speedplay. (I ride Time road pedals and think they're great, but the choice is very personal.) Time and Shimano are more time-tested "classic" designs, while Speedplay is more idiosyncratic and "revolutionary." If your LBS will let you try them on a trainer, you'll know in about two minutes which of the three you prefer.

Last edited by dgauthier; 03-28-2024 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:11 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Aren't you risking injury riding on pedals that don't release?
I should have used past tense -- I stopped using them when I sold my gravel bike. And yes I injured myself.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:14 AM

I use TIME Xpro's, tried Dura Ace, Speedplay and the TIME's just have a smoother float with a wide platform.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:55 AM

Buy shoes that fit, regardless of brand, stiffness, or features.

The Look-style pedal/cleat dominates the market. Other styles have their fans and that's fine.

As long as the shoes you choose accommodate the pedals/cleats you like, get the pedals you like, which in your case is Time.

Times have been around a long time which should tell you something. If you can readily get replacement cleats, stick with them. Time is owned/distributed by SRAM so I imagine customer support should be good.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:09 AM

Agree with others. Get a shoe that fits right and is comfortable on your feet. For me I have multiple sets of Giro Empires and Factors.

I rode time pedals since I used to be a weight weenie, and still am somewhat. Rode Xpresso 12’s and got tired of cleat breakage and replacing bearings and bushings. Went to Dura Ace and so buttery smooth easy engaging and disengaging. Still have them on many bikes. My main road bike has Garmin Rally RS200 and love these too. Same cleat so it works when I switch bikes.

I used to love wrenching on bikes but at my age and at this time in my life I rather just ride. I mention this since it would be easy to swap pedals when I switch road bikes but that just adds something else to prep for a ride.

I do use either Sidi or Giro for MTB. Pedals are XTR and Xpedo.

Last edited by JMT3; 03-28-2024 at 09:39 AM.