Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 09:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
can nearly guarantee it'll be lower in '18, just b/c of off year. 58% of REGISTERED voters (so basically a little over half of a little under half, right?!), first step is something like a "motor voter" law.
I won't delve into IDs but do think it's a good idea as a general statement. My pet peeve is that if you're not registered in one of the 2 parties (I disagree with them and their interest in self perpetuation) you don't get to vote in primaries which also have local elections here in PA, which affects my daily life/the average person as much if not more than Federal/State... but yes, please vote!
'Off year', you can say that again..we'll see..I think the general populace is motivated, for a variety of reasons..we'll see tho..Off year elections are always lower turnout but this year, 'unique'. me thinks.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:54 AM

Traditionally, Democrats have not shown up in non-Presidential years, while Republicans tend to vote more reliably.

Here's some other cutoff dates for registration:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Registration.jpg (156.6 KB, 113 views)
Old 08-13-2018, 11:14 AM
Pack fill

One thing I cannot understand is why ALL the primary elections in the Presidential election not held on the same day? PA is usually one of the last to vote in the Presidential primaries, by that time the candidates are close to being decided for both parties. You see where that got us.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:20 AM

Want to encourage people to vote? Make it easier to vote. It ain't rocket science.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
One thing I cannot understand is why ALL the primary elections in the Presidential election not held on the same day? .
Primary dates are determined by the states, so there is a vested interest in having an early primary to raise your state's importance. I think California is moving its primaries up in 2020. It does seem kinda of silly that two of the smallest states have such an outsize influence on presidential election politics.

Maybe someday the feds will take a bit more control of at least national elections. Maybe continued Russian interference will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Want to encourage people to vote? Make it easier to vote. It ain't rocket science.
Personally, I'd like the paradigm to be "State must demonstrate why you can't vote." instead of the current "Citizen must demonstrate why they can vote."

Nationwide motor voter would be a start.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:18 PM

I agree with Bruce K, in fact, I would like to see a designated Federal Voting Holiday, with more polling places, and special bus routes to help voters get their. We are a nation of neighbors, and it's about time to take that seriously outside of soldiering.

Great thread C40!
Old 08-13-2018, 12:30 PM

Without getting too far off in the political weeds, I think most people can quickly rattle off two or three things (or more) which would make it easier to vote and likely increase voter participation, some of which have already been mentioned in this thread. The problem is that there are vested interests who see it in their best interest not to make such changes.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:57 PM

I would also strongly suggest that everyone who has previously registered checks with their local elections office to make sure they're still on the roles. States will purge their lists based on different criteria, but there have been a lot of reports from people being inexplicably removed.

Some of these stories may be politically inspired tall tales, but I can attest that some are real. My mother-in-law, who has not skipped a single election on any level for the last 13 years that she's lived with us, recently found out she was no longer registered. The county couldn't give us any explanation for it, but we were lucky to have discovered it since now so it could be corrected in time for this fall.

It's worth a couple of minutes to make a quick call and make sure that you're registered.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
I would also strongly suggest that everyone who has previously registered checks with their local elections office to make sure they're still on the roles. States will purge their lists based on different criteria, but there have been a lot of reports from people being inexplicably removed.

Some of these stories may be politically inspired tall tales, but I can attest that some are real. My mother-in-law, who has not skipped a single election on any level for the last 13 years that she's lived with us, recently found out she was no longer registered. The county couldn't give us any explanation for it, but we were lucky to have discovered it since now so it could be corrected in time for this fall.

It's worth a couple of minutes to make a quick call and make sure that you're registered.
Not tall tales at all. Many state governments are going out of their way to discourage voting and the DOJ is no longer resisting them. It's a strange stance if one values democracy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/12/u...ype=collection
Old 08-13-2018, 03:20 PM

In Virginia you can register up to 22 days before the election. Sooner of course is better.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:32 PM

I have to be honest, compared to other places looks like the US needs a total overhaul of the voting process, starting by federal laws for the people being registered for voting or capable of voting, in some places you are obligated by law to register and vote. Saying this because just the presidential elections going on in the last 10 years and even in the ones last week there's always something very irregular going on, which surprise me big time.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:46 PM

Everyone should register to vote, it's an extremely simple process. I have not lived out in the middle of Oklahoma so, maybe in very rural areas it's more complicated, I don't know. But states have made the capability to register much simpler and easier with things like Real ID, or registering when you get a permit, etc. The thing is, one must want to register, and be willing to do it. Voting is a responsibility.

With the extension of early voting over the years, there is now ample time and opportunity to vote. So claiming there wasn't enough time is no longer a justifiable excuse. The absentee ballot process is simpler today too.

Again, a person has to want to register, and they have to want to vote. They must, and they should take that responsibility.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
Vote absentee, so there is a paper trail, if your state allows it.
Thanks for the reminder. Just registered absentee.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
Everyone should register to vote, it's an extremely simple process. I have not lived out in the middle of Oklahoma so, maybe in very rural areas it's more complicated, I don't know. But states have made the capability to register much simpler and easier with things like Real ID, or registering when you get a permit, etc. The thing is, one must want to register, and be willing to do it. Voting is a responsibility.

With the extension of early voting over the years, there is now ample time and opportunity to vote. So claiming there wasn't enough time is no longer a justifiable excuse. The absentee ballot process is simpler today too.

Again, a person has to want to register, and they have to want to vote. They must, and they should take that responsibility.
This is not true. States have made it much harder and the burden has been disproportionately placed on certain populations. Motor voter has existed since 1993 and it has not been adopted in all jurisdictions.

Based on the language you've used recently, your news sources may not be telling you this but a number of state legislatures have recently had to turn over evidence that their voter registration and roll removal policies were specifically targeted at certain groups.

As Ultra and others have noted, much of the world makes it easier to vote and encourages it. Here, there are people whose interests are better served by low turnout and they work to keep it that way.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.