Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2018, 06:12 PM

I rode bikes for a half-century (years, not miles) without a phone.

always managed to get back home one way or the other...

the phone stays at home when I ride.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:32 PM

Awesome

[QUOTE=Gummee;2410341]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post

Before I got into the mortgage business, I didn't want anyone to call me when I was out riding.

AFTER I got into the mortgage business I didn't want anyone to call me either, but for different reasons.

I've been left walking a few times in the last 30 years. Last time I thumbed down an F150 and they gave me a ride to the LBS. Borrowed the owner's personal bike to finish what was left of my ride.

So, naw... y'all can have the electronic leash all y'all want. I'll pass.

M
There's no right or wrong to it, we all have our preferences. I ride mostly solo and for 35 to 70 miles through small towns and on back country roads. The phone is a life line, I don't chat on it, it's there for emergencies. And heck no, I'm not walking home or haling a ride, Ha!

Funny you mention the mortgage business, my wife managed a group handling default mortgages, she's happy to have moved onto real estate accounting now.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:20 PM

On the one hand, many of us own a device that easily fits in a pocket (especially that oversized Arrogant Bastard jersey that covers half your butt) that can:

Pay for transactions, negating the need for a wallet.
Take photos in case of an accident or interesting event, negating the need for a camera.
Give you route information if you desire.
Update you on weather conditions.
Store all your contact data and communicate with people in case of an emergency.
Store your insurance card if you need it.
Hail a ride in an emergency,
Replace a dedicate cycling computer when necessary to track your data.

And the best thing is, you don't even have to do any of those things but you can if you want.

On the other hand:

Get off my lawn you troll
Old 08-15-2018, 02:52 PM

I bought one of the larger phones about 10 months ago. First thing I noticed was that it doesn't fit well in my older jersey pockets. But, I use mapmyride to record my rides, and I like having it should there be an emergency on the road or at home. One of my tech savvy buddies has an ear bud for his phone, with microphone. He leaves the ear plug out unless he gets a call, then always pulls to the side of the road as he puts his bud in his ear to take the call. Never lasts more than 30 seconds. Doesn't happen often, but he doesn't even have to reach in his pocket to remove the phone, taking the risk of it falling on the road. Seems like a good approach to me.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:27 PM

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDeeter View Post
I bought one of the larger phones about 10 months ago. First thing I noticed was that it doesn't fit well in my older jersey pockets. But, I use mapmyride to record my rides, and I like having it should there be an emergency on the road or at home. One of my tech savvy buddies has an ear bud for his phone, with microphone. He leaves the ear plug out unless he gets a call, then always pulls to the side of the road as he puts his bud in his ear to take the call. Never lasts more than 30 seconds. Doesn't happen often, but he doesn't even have to reach in his pocket to remove the phone, taking the risk of it falling on the road. Seems like a good approach to me.
Yes, my new phone is huge and I didn't want to carry it in my jersey because it may fall out and it wouldn't be comfortable back there so in the bag it goes.

Thanks for the ear bud idea, that sounds like a winner, I'll look into it.