Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2018, 06:57 AM

Recommend a Tubeless Tire for Gravel

This has probably been beaten to death here but that's what we do, so bear with me.

Looking to go tubeless and add some volume to the wheels on my Indy Fab. I'm running Michelin Jets right now with inner tubes. The rims are Pacenti SL25, tubeless ready rims. I'll have to get some tubeless valves but the tape is already in place.

The Jets are in the 32mm range I believe (can't measure - not at home) and I'd like to go to about 38mm or so and run these at lower pressure, in the 35-45 PSI range, maybe lower if appropriate.

The roads I ride with this bike are a mix of paved and gravel with the gravel being anything from hard pack to loose but mostly a harder pack. Not super rustic for the most part. Just unpaved roads.

Do I go with a Compass? When I search on some online sales sites some of the bigger brands are not advertised as tubeless tires and for the sake of safety, I want tires that are intended to be run as tubeless.

What say ye? This is my first foray into tubeless and I know there's a lot of wisdom and experience here. I have the help I need with sealant and installation so I'm not looking for too much advice there, mostly tire suggestions in the 700x38 range.

TIA
Old 08-10-2018, 07:24 AM

Go to Compass EL and keep the tubes.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
Is this what you did on your Seven? Why?

My buddies with larger volume tires haven't had issues.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
Skip the EL. standard is plenty kush. Gravel King, g-one’s also awesome
Old 08-10-2018, 07:40 AM

If you go Compass ELs, definitively skip the tubeless - too many problems. If you want compass and tubeless, use the standard version - they are only slightly higher in Crr, but you'll get that back tubeless and have the added safety for flatting when running lower pressure.

For another option that isn't super wide, but very good, I'm using a set of WTB Exposure 34mm - they air up to about 36mm. These are tubeless and setup really easy. They have a smooth centre and knobs on the outside. I really like them for conditions that don't get too rowdy where more volume is needed.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:41 AM
Administrator

i think for what you're describing i'd go with the compass bon jons.

personally i tried their 38c tire, and it was just too fat for me. it effected the handling of the bike and turning the front end was not as crisp. the 35c bon jovis are the biggest i want to go, but they blow up to over 35mm on 23mm rims, for sure.

i think if you're looking for a "roadish" ride, once you get past 35mm or so on a 700c wheel size, it's overkill and dampens the handling of the bike, especially the front end beyond what i find acceptable or "fun".

but that's just me, and i weigh 132#, so bear that in mind also.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:41 AM

I have had very good luck with the Donnely Strada USH. Great for mixed terrain riding. comes in a 32 and 40. Or check out the X'Plor MSO for something more aggressive.

https://www.donnellycycling.com/prod...a-ush-tubeless

Not as supple as a Compass tire, but more sidewall protection.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:46 AM
'97 Ti Legend

I don't have my gravel bike in hand yet, but based on lots of research, I'd go Compass Steilacoom. Knobs, but remarkable speed and stability on pavement.

Great review. https://road.cc/content/review/24260...lacoom-tc-tyre
Old 08-10-2018, 07:47 AM

They might be a bit more aggressive than you're looking for, but I've been very pleased with the Panaracer Gravel King SKs. They're available in 35, 38, and 43mm widths. They have lots of volume. I found them ideal for the type of gravel racing I've done. They'll tackle both smooth and rough gravel as well as pavement. With moderate-low pressures, they're very comfortable over the rough stuff.

Greg
Old 08-10-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
They might be a bit more aggressive than you're looking for, but I've been very pleased with the Panaracer Gravel King SKs. They're available in 35, 38, and 43mm widths. They have lots of volume. I found them ideal for the type of gravel racing I've done. They'll tackle both smooth and rough gravel as well as pavement. With moderate-low pressures, they're very comfortable over the rough stuff.

Greg
I *think* what I really am looking for is the file tread version of this tire, the regular Gravel King in a 38mm width. I'm finding it online a bit.

Tempted by the SKs but I'm not sure I need the knobs.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:21 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Elwood Terrene is also nice if you can fit a 40. I may have a lightly used pair in the basement.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:22 AM

There has been a lot of discussion on this but if your intent is really to ride gravel on tubeless, I'd avoid Jan's Koolaid and get a dedicated tubeless tire rather than anything from Compass. They look good and feel nice on the road but I could never shake the sense that they were going to get ripped up by rocks. Also, they have a tendency to blow off the rim.

There are so many options out there now.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:42 AM

I don't doubt that others have had issues with Compass tires and tubeless setups. As has been pointed out there are tire brands that produce tubeless tires that almost always setup and work well tubeless on just about any rim.

I will say, though, that I am running SBH EL on Crest Mk3 rims and BJP EL on Blunt SL rims (standard blue tubeless tape and Orange Seal with both) and haven't had any issues like reluctance to seat, sidewall seepage or the like.

The truth is that there are a lot of variables at play with a tubeless setup and all generalizations are false.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:05 AM

I think I've narrowed it down to the Panaracer Gravel King and the Hutchinson Overide. Both seem pretty decent for my application.

A buddy rides the Hutchinson and has had good luck.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I don't doubt that others have had issues with Compass tires and tubeless setups. As has been pointed out there are tire brands that produce tubeless tires that almost always setup and work well tubeless on just about any rim.

I will say, though, that I am running SBH EL on Crest Mk3 rims and BJP EL on Blunt SL rims (standard blue tubeless tape and Orange Seal with both) and haven't had any issues like reluctance to seat, sidewall seepage or the like.

The truth is that there are a lot of variables at play with a tubeless setup and all generalizations are false.
For me personally, I haven't had any issues setting up Compass Els (SBH, bon jons) or holding air for that matter. The problems I've had is tearing on the side wall around the bead area when tire takes a bigger hit.

This shouldn't happen IMO with a reliable tubeless setup. I have seen this happen so many times with others in my riding group, so it's definitely a wider problem than just my setup/use.

Anyway, they do work, but you really have to avoid any big hits or rim strikes.