Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2018, 05:40 PM

Phil Wood Headset feedback

Has anyone used a Phil Wood headset? If so what is your opinion of them? So far, I have heard only positive things but I am looking for real-world experience. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Everything is connected

If it’s like their other products I bet that it’s awesome. Aren’t they a relatively new item for PW?

http://www.philwood.com/products/headsethome.php
Old 08-01-2018, 07:10 PM
Princess Sweat

With a Phil Wood headset I'm able to change direction by rotating my handlebars to the right and left. For that very reason I give it 4/5 stars.

The reason for not getting 5/5 stars is because I don't like the name Phil.

Chris King gets 2.5/5 stars because I like the name Chris less than I do Phil. It should be a 2/5 but I like the last name King.

Cane Creek gets 5/5 stars because Peter Gilbert is an effin awesome mensch and can do no wrong.

If Chris King headsets and Phil Wood Headsets and White Industry headsets were named Cane Creek headsets they would also get 5/5 stars because they let me change direction by rotating my handlebars and they would be associated with Peter Gilbert.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:12 PM

I have no idea how the headsets are. I have used their BB and it was solid. And I am pretty certain that the headset should be too. But I was just aghast at the weight (it matters to me). CK is about 108 g and so is Cane Creek 110 for a 1 1/8 headset. Tune and other boutique headsets are about 55- 80 g. I have used headsets made by Cane Creek, CK, and as well as Tune and Extralite. They have all worked great.

But I just wonder how is the PW headset 267 g?!
Old 08-01-2018, 07:13 PM

Go Ceramicspeed
Old 08-01-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
With a Phil Wood headset I'm able to change direction by rotating my handlebars to the right and left. For that very reason I give it 4/5 stars.

The reason for not getting 5/5 stars is because I don't like the name Phil.

Chris King gets 2.5/5 stars because I like the name Chris less than I do Phil. It should be a 2/5 but I like the last name King.

Cane Creek gets 5/5 stars because Peter Gilbert is an effin awesome mensch and can do no wrong.

If Chris King headsets and Phil Wood Headsets and White Industry headsets were named Cane Creek headsets they would also get 5/5 stars because they let me change direction by rotating my handlebars and they would be associated with Peter Gilbert.
cane creek headsets suck.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:18 PM

Performance to cost, this is the best headset on the market.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...adless-headset
Old 08-01-2018, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
I have no idea how the headsets are. I have used their BB and it was solid. And I am pretty certain that the headset should be too. But I was just aghast at the weight (it matters to me). CK is about 108 g and so is Cane Creek 110 for a 1 1/8 headset. Tune and other boutique headsets are about 55- 80 g. I have used headsets made by Cane Creek, CK, and as well as Tune and Extralite. They have all worked great.

ha, i feel the same way about the hubs. i have a really sweet, and beautiful to look at set of phil road hubs in the basement, but i often wonder where the hid the depleted uranium pellets in those things. heavy!

as for right above, joostx probably subjects his equipment to a more demanding environment than i do typically, but i've found cane creek 110 headsets to be every bit as good of quality as chris king, for whatever that's worth.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
cane creek headsets suck.
I hope you are joking.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk540 View Post
Performance to cost, this is the best headset on the market.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...adless-headset
I've used that headset and it was just fine. But, it wasn't better or cheaper than the Cane Creek 40s I've used.

I like Cane Creek 110 for several reasons.

I wouldn't expect a Phil Wood headset to have any performance/operational issues and I can see the appeal of using one for reasons aside from performance or weight.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 08-01-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
I hope you are joking.
i wish i were. have owned two Cane Creek headset in my life both lasted less than 2 months. My buddy had one warrantied on his ibis and the new one seized (not 100%) the next day we were going on a long biking weekend. He sold the bike and got a seven bc the cane creek was the only brand of headset that would fit the ibis. a guy sold a bike because he wanted to use a different headset brand than cane creek.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post

the 11/8 - 1.5 (the bigger one) claimed weight is 156g slightly less than CK inset 7 which is the equivalent.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:43 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
i wish i were. have owned two Cane Creek headset in my life both lasted less than 2 months. My buddy had one warrantied on his ibis and the new one seized (not 100%) the next day we were going on a long biking weekend. He sold the bike and got a seven bc the cane creek was the only brand of headset that would fit the ibis. a guy sold a bike because he wanted to use a different headset brand than cane creek.
I am going to bet there are way more good experiences with CC than are bad experiences. I myself have owned more CC headsets than kings. They have always been great. CKs have been great too. hell I have had cheap ritcheys that have been great as well.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I am going to bet there are way more good experiences with CC than are bad experiences. I myself have owned more CC headsets than kings. They have always been great. CKs have been great too. hell I have had cheap ritcheys that have been great as well.
Chris King has been the only brand that has worked out for me. However, I torched one of their headsets after 3 years of use.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I've used that headset and it was just fine. But, it wasn't better or cheaper than the Cane Creek 40s I've used.

I like Cane Creek 110 for several reasons.

I wouldn't expect a Phil Wood headset to have any performance/operational issues and I can see the appeal of using one for reasons aside from performance or weight.
I have one on my pub bike which has lived in the backyard for about 6 years, slightly protected from the elements by a hedge. Rainfall last winter was higher than average and for the first time I began to notice corrosion and dulled finishes on the bike. But the headset looks as good as the day I installed it. And it's silky smooth. Tough to keep a modern polished headset looking mint, let alone a neglected one. I think I paid $45.