Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 10:51 AM

Ceramic Rims: Boyd Ceramic Vs DT Swiss Oxic Vs Mavic Exalith Vs HED Black

So...thinking about spending some money and my eyes like how the current crop of ceramic rims accentuate my bike. If anyone has personal experience, it would be helpful to know which manufacturer makes the most durable black coating. Here are the four rim/wheelset manufacturers that I am looking at:

1) Boyd Altamont Ceramic Lite
2) DT Swiss DiCut Oxic
3) Mavic Ksyrium Exalith
4) HED Ardennes Black

Thank you for the insights.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:12 AM

thread on Vsalon about OXICs

I have 'handbuilt' alloy wheels from Alchemy, Boyd and others. I have been impressed with the OXICs on all levels.

As with others experience, surface has proven durable.

Braking on OXICs is far better than previous experience with standard alloy wheels even when using green Swissstop pads. Build quality of the DTs is excellent. I believe they are adding a 30mm deep OXIC rim in near future.

Here's 80 plus pages on an Italian site. A DT Swiss rep replies to many of the questions...

https://www.bdc-mag.com/forum/thread...218204/page-87
Old 07-18-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
So...thinking about spending some money and my eyes like how the current crop of ceramic rims accentuate my bike. If anyone has personal experience, it would be helpful to know which manufacturer makes the most durable black coating. Here are the four rim/wheelset manufacturers that I am looking at:

1) Boyd Altamont Ceramic Lite
2) DT Swiss DiCut Oxic
3) Mavic Ksyrium Exalith
4) HED Ardennes Black

Thank you for the insights.
Not sure how the newer versions perform but I've been using a set of older ceramic Mavic Open Pro's laced to Campy 32H on my Fondriest X-Status and I must say they definitely out-perform carbon and most aluminum rims of the other bikes I ride with. Can't say how they stop in the wet because I'm in Socal but heard they're very responsive so anecdotally I'd say since Mavic kinda pioneered ceramics go with them. Do know that the older ceramics would chip/flake over time, not sure if newer ones have eliminated that or not.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:11 PM

For durability, the Mavics. For overall wheel design and performance, the DT Oxics. Avoid the Fulcrum/Campy options...the wheels are great, but the coating is the least durable.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:14 PM
aka RAEKWON

I can only comment on the boyds, which are freaking excellent, but don't expect the coating to be a forever thing. If you ride road only, in good conditions, I can see it lasting for a TON of miles (like 4-5k at least) but if you ride in rain or gravel you will get scratches an wear much quicker.

Braking performance is very nice.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:18 PM

I was also looking at these wheels recently and there is some discussion across the hall on the DT Swiss, on the Boyds here on the paceline, as well as on the various available options on WW.

BDC mag forums linked by one60 have lots more discussion on a few of the available options, just needs to be translated to read.

From what I could gather, the coating on the Exaliths and OXICs have been solid. The 2nd gen boyds seem to be holding up well (R3awak3n might have the most miles on these on the paceline, but haven't seen any recent updates). Good reports on durability and braking for the Vision Trimax 30KB as well (I went with these bc I happened to get a killer deal, but was leaning towards the DT Swiss or Boyds)

edit: aaaand R3awak3n posted as I was writing my reply. haha
Old 07-18-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I can only comment on the boyds, which are freaking excellent, but don't expect the coating to be a forever thing. If you ride road only, in good conditions, I can see it lasting for a TON of miles (like 4-5k at least) but if you ride in rain or gravel you will get scratches an wear much quicker.

Braking performance is very nice.
I can't speak for the Boyds (yet) but I have a couple sets of first-gen Mavic Exalith that have close to 15k miles and the coatings are mostly still intact. My guess is the Boyds will last longer than you think if you don't ride in very wet and sandy conditions.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:40 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by stev0 View Post
I was also looking at these wheels recently and there is some discussion across the hall on the DT Swiss, on the Boyds here on the paceline, as well as on the various available options on WW.

BDC mag forums linked by one60 have lots more discussion on a few of the available options, just needs to be translated to read.

From what I could gather, the coating on the Exaliths and OXICs have been solid. The 2nd gen boyds seem to be holding up well (R3awak3n might have the most miles on these on the paceline, but haven't seen any recent updates). Good reports on durability and braking for the Vision Trimax 30KB as well (I went with these bc I happened to get a killer deal, but was leaning towards the DT Swiss or Boyds)

edit: aaaand R3awak3n posted as I was writing my reply. haha
I have about 1200 miles on 1 set and 1000 on the other. My 1200 mile one, the rear is in not great shape. I feel also that when the coating starts coming out then it starts going quicker (maybe there is a extra protective layer on top?)

My 1000 mile set looks almost new expect for I rode in the rain for 30 miles and a tiny stone must have been caught in the rear brake and I have a line all around the rear wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonov View Post
I can't speak for the Boyds (yet) but I have a couple sets of first-gen Mavic Exalith that have close to 15k miles and the coatings are mostly still intact. My guess is the Boyds will last longer than you think if you don't ride in very wet and sandy conditions.

I would not be surprised if they did. I tossed 5k because I read a post from boyd about pros using them and them only now starting to have some wear at 5k (but now that I am thinking, maybe was 15k. I should really find it and post it here)

edit - right on the boyd site.

https://www.boydcycling.com/faq_cat/alloy-wheels/

scroll down. They say thats after 8k miles. Mine are in much worst shape than all those after a couple of rainy rides in the dirty grimmy streets of NYC

Last edited by R3awak3n; 07-18-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonov View Post
For durability, the Mavics….. Avoid the Fulcrum/Campy options...the wheels are great, but the coating is the least durable.
Maybe your experience, but certainly not that of everyone. I've got 2 pair of Shamal Milles, one set with 20,000 miles, and the brake track still looks brand new. Also, Campagnolo's PEO ceramic coating is the exact same coating as Mavic's Exalith, done in the same factory.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:45 PM

Another vote for the Exalith. Durable and effective without being grabby or too too loud.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:17 PM

Interesting thread, been debating what to do in terms of rims for a hubset I have.

Do any of the Mavic Open Pro rims have the Exalith textured surface that some of their prebuilt wheels have? Those wheels stop incredibly well.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Maybe your experience, but certainly not that of everyone. I've got 2 pair of Shamal Milles, one set with 20,000 miles, and the brake track still looks brand new. Also, Campagnolo's PEO ceramic coating is the exact same coating as Mavic's Exalith, done in the same factory.
Maybe so, but of the 12 or so people I know who use the Mavics or the Campys, the Mavics all look much better and happen to also be on the bikes of the guys who ride in the nastiest conditions. I think there's more to it than just the coating on the rim, such as the rim design itself or the pads they provide.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:35 AM

Those who have the Mavic Kysrium Exalith -- could you please state the weight of the wheelset, if you actually measured it. I think Mavic underestimates weights tremendously.
Thank you!

QUOTE=Cornfed;2396853]Another vote for the Exalith. Durable and effective without being grabby or too too loud.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-20-2018, 06:13 AM

different generations of coatings

Part of the confusion is due to not recognizing that the first generation of coatings were not designed to be permanent, it was more about aesthetics. Fulcrum, H-Son, Vision, Boyd and others initialing used this approach before switching.

The 2nd generation (PEO) coating is integral to the alloy to provide a long wearing surface.

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/technolog...ic-technology/
Old 07-20-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one60 View Post
Part of the confusion is due to not recognizing that the first generation of coatings were not designed to be permanent, ...

?????

I don't understand how this idea makes any sense. We're talking about surface treatments to enhance braking - why would you choose to improved braking just for a portion of the lifetime of the rim/wheel? Can the surface treatment be re-freshed when it wears off, or is the useful life of the rim/wheel limited by the lifetime of he surface treatment?