Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 09:53 AM
aka RAEKWON

yeah it seems like they messed it up in the 1st gen more likely.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
?????
I don't understand how this idea makes any sense. We're talking about surface treatments to enhance braking - why would you choose to improved braking just for a portion of the lifetime of the rim/wheel? Can the surface treatment be re-freshed when it wears off, or is the useful life of the rim/wheel limited by the lifetime of he surface treatment?
I think the lack of durability in earlier ceramic coatings was not by choice, but limitations on manufacturing process/costs. There were also black rims which were simply anodized or had some other treatment, applied for aesthetic reasons, that would wear off eventually. In any case, for all of the above (and the new PEO rims as well), once the coating wears off, you're simply left with a regular alloy wheel, so.. maybe diminished performance, but definitely functional and useful.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:32 PM

DT SWISS PR 1400 Dicut Oxic

I almost didn't buy these because it takes so long to type the name of the wheelset to seek them out. Glad I did, however: Great braking (although pads seem to wear rather quickly), they look stealth, and are built tough. Great all-rounder to the extent that they are my preferred wheel over my lighter carbon tubs.

I've run them both tubeless and clincher. Had Schwalbe tubeless on them which feel like rocks compared to tubs, but I guess that's to be expected? I run them at about 90 PSI.

Would I recommend? Yes, especially if you can score a deal.

If you have any questions about them, let me know.