Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 03-05-2021, 08:51 AM

Gorgeous build!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tepextate View Post
Your Reactor looks amazing! I absolutely love the craftsmanship of No. 22s.

And I would love that! Please do keep me in mind if you guys ever get a group together.
Thanks! It's not hard to make a well built Ti bike look good, it's all about small details which your Mosaic is right on with. I've been impressed with the Mosaic's I've seen up close here in Greenwich.
We'll definitely keep you in mind, and post here. I'm thinking likely in May once I'm back from Miami after Easter..

If you're looking for a mid-setback post, see if you can pick up a previous gen (2019 or earlier) Deda Superleggera post. I ran into the same issue on my Fabrica where with the straight painted post, the saddle rails were all the way back, but would sit forward on a 20/25mm setback post. I want to say the Deda is around 12mm setback or so, and it works perfectly.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:14 AM

Agreed with the above post about the superleggera. I think ti bikes look best with an all black cockpit. A friend has an all black build with enve 3.4s on his rt-1 and it looks rad

My previous mosaic had that post, here’s a visual reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Thank you guys! I appreciate all the great suggestions. And whoops... can't believe I'm cross-chaining in the only photo I posted. Just means I'll have to take another photo once I cut the steerer tube and put on the tan walls.

The current post is a Moots cinch post that I also bought from a fellow forum member. I think it was originally a brushed finish, but has been worn away to a shiny finish in many spots. I wonder if I can take a Scotch-Brite pad to it and rub it back to the original finish?

I also agree that a setback post might look better, although I'll have to find one with the proper amount of setback. I think using something like 25mm might have the clamp slightly too far back (instead of being slightly too far forward where it is now).

Regarding the wheels, I've been toying with the idea of getting a pair of carbon wheels, perhaps something like Bora WTO 45s when funds permit. However, I'm also working with Dave Kirk on a bike right now and would want to be able to share wheelsets across both frames. I worry that the WTO 45s wouldn't look good on the thinner tubing of a steel frame (but I could be the wrong!). The suggestion for a black aluminum brake track is a good one... I'll look into those options you suggested, nmrt! Shamal Milles would also fit the bill, I think.
The Bora wheels would look fabulous on a steel Kirk bike!
Old 03-06-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
Tan walls definitely up the ante for looks, as can colored hubs/stems/saddle if you can coordinate it. Personally, I prefer a black (carbon) seat post to break up the all Ti look and balance out the front, if you can pair a colored (or accent colored) saddle, stem, tape, and hubs it will definitely pop and add some visual drama

Part of what drove me to a No22 Reactor over their all Ti bike or a Moots RSL was the carbon seat mast that to me visually balances the two halves of the frame with the fork...

Either way, this is a killer looking build and we'll have to get you on the Paceline NYC/NJ Ti ride Nooch, thegunner, and I keep saying we need to put together
+1 and get me on that NY ti ride to
Old 03-06-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERK55 View Post
The Bora wheels would look fabulous on a steel Kirk bike!
Bora WTO 45's look good on ANY bike IMHO!
Old 03-06-2021, 04:30 PM

Is it my imagination or is the Mosaic's TT bigger at the seat tube than at the head tube?
Old 03-06-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesadventure View Post
Agreed with the above post about the superleggera. I think ti bikes look best with an all black cockpit. A friend has an all black build with enve 3.4s on his rt-1 and it looks rad

My previous mosaic had that post, here’s a visual reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ooh, I LOVE the look of the Deda post. Thanks, guys!

@livesadventure, did you need a shim to use that post? My RT-1 has a native SP diameter of 30.9. I've debated using a shim to open up some more seatpost options.

I also really like the pink CK headset, by the way. I tried searching for one high and low and was unable to find one, as my understanding is that they've discontinued the Matte Punch color! I know White Industries makes a pink headset as well, but I ultimately went for a standard black CK headset.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:12 AM

Cut the steerer this weekend by 10mm and threw on some tan Corsa Controls.

One thing I'm realizing that I really don't like the look of is the Garmin Varia. Great functionality, but the aesthetics leave something to be desired.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Cut the steerer this weekend by 10mm and threw on some tan Corsa Controls.

One thing I'm realizing that I really don't like the look of is the Garmin Varia. Great functionality, but the aesthetics leave something to be desired.
Looking great! The Varia is definitely unique looking, but the v2 at least looks better than the first gen.

I'd shim down to 27.2, it should be more comfortable with a smaller post (marginally) and it opens up way more options. I'm going to shim my Great Divide to 27.2 whenever I get around to building it.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
Looking great! The Varia is definitely unique looking, but the v2 at least looks better than the first gen.

I'd shim down to 27.2, it should be more comfortable with a smaller post (marginally) and it opens up way more options. I'm going to shim my Great Divide to 27.2 whenever I get around to building it.
You have a Great Divide just sitting around unbuilt?

And cool, I think I'll do just that. I was mainly worried about how the transition between fatter ST and narrower SP would look. But livesadventures' RT1 looks great.