Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2020, 04:59 PM

It's certainly been quite a long time since I've done this, but BITD when I bike camped around NH we just found a nice spot near a stream off the road in the woods and pulled in. Easy to hide bikes, and use a dark tent. Worst problem was usually bugs. Carried a trowel to bury human waste. I agree with BenB about campgrounds, often the worst part is the smoke because every urban/suburban cowboy has to build a smoky campfire.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I was just getting at the scale of the Western US compared to everything here.

Western MA is still super populated compared to regions of the west.

Heck Yellowstone NP is 30% the size of Massachusetts.

The Death Valley wilderness zone is larger than MA. Yosemite wilderness zone is about 1/3 the size of MA. All that just in CA.
Interesting comparisons and I've been to the places you mention but opportunities for employment and entrepreneurship are somewhat more limited in YS, DV and surrounding areas.

Last edited by nickl; 07-31-2020 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I agree with BenB about campgrounds, often the worst part is the smoke because every urban/suburban cowboy has to build a smoky campfire.
And sometimes you just want to get away from everybody, whether they're obnoxious or not. {shrug}
Old 08-01-2020, 01:02 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
And sometimes you just want to get away from everybody, whether they're obnoxious or not. {shrug}
I agree. I really don't understand the people who spend big $$$ on an RV and drive it 1000 miles, only to park it 10 feet away from another RV.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:50 AM
It's Polly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Life really does throw you some curveballs sometimes, doesn't it?

If you'd asked me six months ago, I would have said that I expected to stay where I'm living now for the next 10+ years. Now, after a global pandemic and commensurate financial crisis has highlighted some serious weaknesses in my leadership team's lack of ability to ... lead, my wife and I are suddenly looking at relocating to north-central Massachusetts.

So, can I ask some on-topic and off-topic questions?

New potential job is in MA, a little east of the MA/NH/VT corner. NW of Fitchburg/Leominster, SE of Keene, NE of Amherst, E of Deerfield. I've heard of D2R2 (but never ridden it); can anyone comment on the road riding nearby? Gravel? Heck, mountain biking (even though it's not historically been my thing)?

Trail running? Camping? Sheer ability to get away from people?

I grew up in New York State, moved out west to go to college, and have lived somewhere in the West ever since. It's going to be a bit of a psychological blow to move "back east". I chose, as an adult, to stay out here, and I've been happy with that choice. I love the big mountains, wide-open spaces, the desert, camping for free in the middle of nowhere on BLM land, etc. Even when I haven't been able to take advantage of those opportunities, there's a psychological value in knowing that they're out there.

It's becoming rapidly clear that my current job, even if I take the chance on staying in it, might well not exist in a year. If it were just me, I would risk it. If it were just me and my wife, we would probably risk it. Now, with a 9-month old, I don't know that I can take the chance.

The new job looks like it should be a good fit. We have family and friends in the area (friends who recommended us for the new job and live there). The finances of the institution are a lot better and a lot more stable. Salary is distinctly better. The added support network means that it's a lot more likely that I (and we, with my wife) will be able to get out to do things up until the time that our toddler will be able to join us or will be safe to join us. So while the options to get out are more limited, the opportunity might be distinctly more.

Any thoughts on the riding, and life choices, are welcome. Thanks for being a sounding board of internet strangers, albeit ones who understand some of these issues better than IRL friends.
I'll be one of the first to welcome you back to New England.

I was born and raised in Maine, but in 1976, I left to pursue a career in the USAF. Now I live in NH - about 45 minutes north of Winchendon.

Lots of things to see and do all year-round here. Hunting, Fishing, Swimming, hiking, biking.

If guns and gun rights are important to you, then I suggest keeping your bags packed and finding a home five minutes north of you in Rindge, NH. Property taxes in NH are high, but no sales tax makes up for it. Tax-free shopping is conveniently right across the border from you.

Winchendon is a country town. People are still reasonably normal there, given that it IS Massghanistan after all. You'll like it.