Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2020, 02:00 PM

Moving to Winchendon, Massachusetts? Riding and otherwise?

Life really does throw you some curveballs sometimes, doesn't it?

If you'd asked me six months ago, I would have said that I expected to stay where I'm living now for the next 10+ years. Now, after a global pandemic and commensurate financial crisis has highlighted some serious weaknesses in my leadership team's lack of ability to ... lead, my wife and I are suddenly looking at relocating to north-central Massachusetts.

So, can I ask some on-topic and off-topic questions?

New potential job is in MA, a little east of the MA/NH/VT corner. NW of Fitchburg/Leominster, SE of Keene, NE of Amherst, E of Deerfield. I've heard of D2R2 (but never ridden it); can anyone comment on the road riding nearby? Gravel? Heck, mountain biking (even though it's not historically been my thing)?

Trail running? Camping? Sheer ability to get away from people?

I grew up in New York State, moved out west to go to college, and have lived somewhere in the West ever since. It's going to be a bit of a psychological blow to move "back east". I chose, as an adult, to stay out here, and I've been happy with that choice. I love the big mountains, wide-open spaces, the desert, camping for free in the middle of nowhere on BLM land, etc. Even when I haven't been able to take advantage of those opportunities, there's a psychological value in knowing that they're out there.

It's becoming rapidly clear that my current job, even if I take the chance on staying in it, might well not exist in a year. If it were just me, I would risk it. If it were just me and my wife, we would probably risk it. Now, with a 9-month old, I don't know that I can take the chance.

The new job looks like it should be a good fit. We have family and friends in the area (friends who recommended us for the new job and live there). The finances of the institution are a lot better and a lot more stable. Salary is distinctly better. The added support network means that it's a lot more likely that I (and we, with my wife) will be able to get out to do things up until the time that our toddler will be able to join us or will be safe to join us. So while the options to get out are more limited, the opportunity might be distinctly more.

Any thoughts on the riding, and life choices, are welcome. Thanks for being a sounding board of internet strangers, albeit ones who understand some of these issues better than IRL friends.

Last edited by mhespenheide; 07-30-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:15 PM

There's tons of great riding out there, and it's not real populated.

Pretty much plenty of any type you're interested in.

I never really rode that much of the MA side but used to ride out/near Keene and Southern VT plenty when I lived in NH. Cycling & Motorcycling.

I did a couple races out there that were spectacular.

You won't have trouble.

You live out there it's a different world from in closer to Boston or Worcester. Less traffic, less people, less hectic, lots more space.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:20 PM

Grew up in Worcester, lived in Lancaster (next to Leominster) for 30 years. Lots of differences between the towns (higher end Princeton, Harvard) to low end Athol. If you need any biased suggestions where to live, based on where you are working, ping me.

Riding is generally wonderful, old country roads hills, winding.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:45 PM

North-central Massachusetts?

My Sister in law lives on Lake Wyola which isn’t far from Deerfield. The riding and scenery are beautiful and the area is not overpopulated at all. Since you grew up in NYS you will have similar weather to that. If you like back roads and gravel/dirt there will be plenty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 07-24-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:53 PM

Do you like sunlight? I grew up in upstate NY, went to college and worked in New England for 20 years afterwards.and then moved to Colorado. I will never move back to NE unless my parents need assistance. Compared to the western states living in most of NE, with the exception of the coastal areas, is like living in a tunnel. Too many people, trees, and too little sunlight. If that isn't an issue and the job pays well, go for it.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:05 PM

Lots of interesting choices, depending on your lifestyle. That area is a combination of culture, academia, forest, poverty, and much more.

You will want to do some detailed research on where specifically you want to live, and what the potential commute will be like between work and home. Best bet is to find a short term rental, if you can, so that you can do a lot more local research.

There is some great riding in the area, pretty much everywhere you can find woods. And there are a lot of woods. I'll be running in them this weekend.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-23-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Do you like sunlight? I grew up in upstate NY, went to college and worked in New England for 20 years afterwards.and then moved to Colorado. I will never move back to NE unless my parents need assistance. Compared to the western states living in most of NE, with the exception of the coastal areas, is like living in a tunnel. Too many people, trees, and too little sunlight. If that isn't an issue and the job pays well, go for it.
I hear you. The few times that I've hiked near my parents' house in New York along that section of the Appalachian Trail, I've definitely felt the truth of the "green tunnel" maxim.

I lived a few winters in rural central Utah at ~6000' elevation. It snowed a lot, but the day after each snowstorm there was a mix of blue skies and clouds, and the day after that was sunny (although cold). I think the grey and fewer hours of daylight will be bigger issues to me in the winter than the cold and snow.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Lots of interesting choices, depending on your lifestyle. That area is a combination of culture, academia, forest, poverty, and much more.

You will want to do some detailed research on where specifically you want to live, and what the potential commute will be like between work and home. Best bet is to find a short term rental, if you can, so that you can do a lot more local research.

There is some great riding in the area, pretty much everywhere you can find woods. And there are a lot of woods. I'll be running in them this weekend.
Job comes with housing. Either a long walk, 10 minutes of bike, or a few minutes in the car. I lean towards walking or the bike, if only to get some psychological distance from work.

How's the trail running?
Old 07-23-2020, 07:56 PM

I lived in that area for 5 years - just off of route 2. Vacationed there for 63 years on Mass. side of vt./nh/mass corner. Now retired to sw corner of NH.
If institution provides housing that determines school for your child and pretty much establishes where you will bike. New England offers lots of mountain climbs for road bikers, country road riding depending in your housing location. If you are in the Pioneer Valley - hills galore.

Downside is cold temps. I biked all winter primarily commuting so it is doable. Retired I can get out in afternoons in March when it is above 38. Probably can do that in Nov. Dec. I have come to like rollers so I manage. If you ski - then lots of places are an easy drive. You are also 2 hours from Boston and close to Northampton if you are into those cultural scenes.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Job comes with housing. Either a long walk, 10 minutes of bike, or a few minutes in the car. I lean towards walking or the bike, if only to get some psychological distance from work.

How's the trail running?
Western Mass is a big place. Lots of variety. Really depends on where specifically you'll be. (Not that you need to disclose it here...)

But generally, trail running is always fabulous. That's the interesting thing about trail running and the trail running community.

Just be informed about bears...seriously. In laws had one in their back yard a few years ago...a neighbor had left his garage door open and the bear helped himself to the garbage cans.

I always watch for bears when running and biking there...make a decent amount of noise and they'll generally give you a wide berth...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-23-2020, 09:14 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Even though they really aren't that bad here, I've given up on riding throughout the winter. The days are just too short to do it after work, and riding just on the weekends doesn't make sense.

Simplest solution has been to ramp up the indoor rowing, which to be honest, is a way better form of exercise than cycling, just not as much fun.

So Mark, drive on up to Morrisville VT and pick up a Concept 2 erg, and you'll be good to go no matter how bad the winters are.

https://www.concept2.com/

Old 07-23-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Even though they really aren't that bad here, I've given up on riding throughout the winter. The days are just too short to do it after work, and riding just on the weekends doesn't make sense.
I hear you there. The two winters I was in Seattle, it wasn't the rain that killed me, it was the sunrise after I got to work and the sun setting as I was driving home.

I usually mix running and trainer work over the winters, maybe snowshoeing. I should probably add in some weight work now that I'm edging ever closer to 50...
Old 07-23-2020, 10:40 PM
but not really

Lots of replies about d2r2 and Western MA. Fitchburg is not Deerfield and not western Massachusetts. Great riding still and formerly a great stage race. Getting to Western Massachusetts or VT or nh from there is easy too. Can't say there's much culture or activity in the Fitchburg are but if you like quiet, go for it.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:45 AM

take a look at Greenfield, Ma. had a friend that grew up there and though the best little town ever and just a hop skip and jump to Vermont to Vermont skiing.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
take a look at Greenfield, Ma. had a friend that grew up there and though the best little town ever and just a hop skip and jump to Vermont to Vermont skiing.
I lived in Greenfield for a few years, but I don’t think it is that close to where the OP is looking to settle. Beautiful area all around, though. I love New England and in MA, anywhere west of Quabbin and north of Rte 2 is quality living in my book. Not densely populated, beautiful habitat, and historic towns/architecture. To me the climate is ideal with the variable seasons and I rode year round there. Dress for the weather and winter cycling is its own worthwhile experience, plus snowshoeing and CX skiing for other options.

Last edited by nighthawk; 07-24-2020 at 04:37 AM.