Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2020, 01:59 PM
DELETE ACCNT

There you go.
If you want to us GC to upload head unit or strava data and keep track of training, sounds good. all free too, can't beat that

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
Actually Golden Cheetah gives much more & is free
Old 06-07-2020, 03:53 PM

How many people decrying strava’s privacy policies have google, facebook, twitter and countless other apps on their phones that are using their location data?

If you want to participate in modern life, privacy is essentially dead. This is hardly a problem specific to strava and I feel I derive far more utility from it than plenty of other things which are far more intrusive, if somewhat less accessible to the average internet sleuth.

Who is using a throwaway email address, vpn and tor to access this forum?
Old 06-07-2020, 04:36 PM

To be more clear - Is it more rational to worry about being the target of an internet mob based on your strava data or to worry about being denied credit and insurance by an algorithm based on your internet browsing history? The former is the equivalent to being struck by internet lightning, the latter is essentially the business model for countless data brokers.

That said, I absolutely would encourage people to be selective with their privacy settings on strava, for perfectly valid reasons such as not wanting people to see where you live. I use relatively restrictive settings and adjust based on where I am and what I am doing.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:10 PM
DELETE ACCNT

I don't understand why this is such a huge sticking point either.
Strava's privacy settings are very easy to access.

I have a feeling it's just an excuse to hate on strava, even though most are on it. Including this entire forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post
How many people decrying strava’s privacy policies have google, facebook, twitter and countless other apps on their phones that are using their location data?

If you want to participate in modern life, privacy is essentially dead. This is hardly a problem specific to strava and I feel I derive far more utility from it than plenty of other things which are far more intrusive, if somewhat less accessible to the average internet sleuth.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post

I am...I use a VPN to block Facebook, GOOGLE and Onion/DuckDuckGo for browser...if people want to talk to me I do tell them I don't have Facebook Messenger, here's my number call me!

It's about about how your private information is sold and shared without your knowledge or discretion that's important, if you don't care fine but others do...
Old 06-07-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Funny sidenote: was on a ride a year or so ago with a buddy who's religious about training: strava, zwift, powermeters, nutrition, data analysis after rides, you name it. We were riding along and he asked me what kind of computer and analytics I was using, and as we were hammering along I shouted (while in the wind, pulling) "the brain!" He shouted back, "Huh? Who makes tha.....ahh, you a$$#ole!"

Lol...excellent! I just look at my watch as I was told by a coach many years ago don't use km's to train, use time...
Old 06-07-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakatel_Luum View Post
I am...I use a VPN to block Facebook, GOOGLE and Onion/DuckDuckGo for browser...if people want to talk to me I do tell them I don't have Facebook Messenger, here's my number call me!

It's about about how your private information is sold and shared without your knowledge or discretion that's important, if you don't care fine but others do...
That’s sort of my point - make informed decisions and choose what is right for you.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:27 PM

at a track race (team pursuit) a gazillion years ago, our sole mantra was: don't get lapped. ditch the heart monitors, they won't matter.

will always have the image in my brain of glancing back under my armpit to see that all 3 (or 4, i forget the rule back then) of us were tight together as we crossed the line. as we did, the last guy projectile vomited his breakfast. the sound, the image...priceless.

moral of the story: sometimes you just gotta go. fast.

Quote:
Lol...excellent! I just look at my watch as I was told by a coach many years ago don't use km's to train, use time...
Old 06-07-2020, 09:19 PM
DELETE ACCNT

You think a vpn will secure your privacy?

Quote:

Old 06-07-2020, 09:32 PM

Strava has some pretty good privacy settings should you choose to use them.

The things you make public are like anything else you make public and subject to eyes other than yours.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:40 PM

Yeah I read recently that the privacy options are a lot better...for me it became a ritualistic burden every ride, like a bundy clock requiring a clock on/clock off for every ride...
Old 06-07-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Strava has some pretty good privacy settings should you choose to use them.

The things you make public are like anything else you make public and subject to eyes other than yours.
Except for the heat map.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Except for the heat map.
While this has allegedly been improved, the heatmaps do likely pose some privacy concerns. However, wouldn’t this be as hard or harder to ‘de-anonymize’ as any other mobile phone data?

I know you hate Strava, but you still carry a phone no?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ell-phone.html

Last edited by Toddykins; 06-07-2020 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 06-07-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Except for the heat map.

Private activities and activities within privacy zones aren’t included in the heat map. You can also opt out of heat map within the privacy settings.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:35 PM

maybe this already exists, but...is there a company out there that acts, or can act, as a repository of standardized info that the consumer controls and thus benefits from (income)?

picture the credit bureaus passing thru the income it receives from selling data around consumer behavior. that kind of general idea.

picture a system that required google to pay those consumers whose behavior tracking is its lifeblood...and a market evolution that requires it to pay for that privelege....hah!

(obviously, its analytics is its bread and butter....all of which we consumers gladly GIVE them for free.)

Quote: