Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Not a ground pad, but a Thermarest mesh cot, with a 1/2" foam pad on top, is easily as comfortable as a regular bed, and I've spent quite a few nights on one.

Very light, compact, super-easy to set up or break down, and they come in a variety of sizes.

https://www.thermarest.com/products/.../mesh-cot.html

I’ve only tried it in store but seems like a cool solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2020, 07:49 PM

I looked at the Exped but went with the REI version to save a few bucks. Camp Dreamer XL. I have used it a couple of times and it is very comfortable. Much better than the air mattress I used to use since those always seem to leak. And this 4" foam mattress rolls up to less than twice the size of an air mattress.

I plan on using it for guests as well.

https://www.rei.com/product/147924/r...ing-deluxe-bed
Old 06-08-2020, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineA1 View Post
Xped Megamat Duo is our current favorite.

+1. We recently upgraded to a Megamat and Megamat duo (since our 6yo sleeps in the tent with us). It’s been a huge upgrade and much more comfortable than our previous setup which was basically our backpacking mata.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbanero View Post
I looked at the Exped but went with the REI version to save a few bucks. Camp Dreamer XL. I have used it a couple of times and it is very comfortable. Much better than the air mattress I used to use since those always seem to leak. And this 4" foam mattress rolls up to less than twice the size of an air mattress.

I plan on using it for guests as well.

https://www.rei.com/product/147924/r...ing-deluxe-bed
Thanks for the heads up. Checked out the Exped duo. Looks awesome but sold out everywhere. But the REI looks to be viable alternative. Also note the Exped duo has two sizes and the "medium double" is quite narrow at 41". The long/wide is 52". The Outdoor Gear Lab review remarked on this. The REI is wider still at 54", and about the same length as the larger Exped. There are a couple of complaints about leaky valve in the REI reviews but also a quick fix for that.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Checked out the Exped duo. Looks awesome but sold out everywhere. But the REI looks to be viable alternative. Also note the Exped duo has two sizes and the "medium double" is quite narrow at 41". The long/wide is 52". The Outdoor Gear Lab review remarked on this. The REI is wider still at 54", and about the same length as the larger Exped. There are a couple of complaints about leaky valve in the REI reviews but also a quick fix for that.
I have both the Exped and the REI Campbed (earlier version). Both are excellent with the Exped a tad more refined and the REI more economical. You have one year - one hundred percent satisfaction guarantee with the REI. If you try it and don’t like it, return it for a full refund. Hard to beat REI
Old 06-08-2020, 07:45 AM
Administrator

thanks guys. between the great reviews, a little more economical price and the bulletproof return policy, i just went ahead and got the REI model.

the width is the key for me, and this should be a meaningful tent upgrade. the actual cushiony comfort is OK on even the crappy ground pads, but i move around a lot in my sleep and i hate having to roll over and balance on what seems like a ledge.

cheers.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:49 AM
ZhugeLiang

Free roadside pickup : float foam mattress

I am giving this a try on my road trips coming weeks before I plunk down the money for an exped. I will spread it out in the back of my van...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53D19F14-441F-445A-A1E1-E37F254F8372.jpg (116.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 06-08-2020, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I am giving this a try on my road trips coming weeks before I plunk down the money for an exped. I will spread it out in the back of my van...
in college and for years beyond, i just kept an old piece of shagg carpet i got for a few bucs at a rug store in the back of my truck. almost anything works inside a vehicle where you are not worried about losing heat to the ground. no need for anything expensive in that scenario.

haha, but i was a lot younger back then. after a hard hike and a 12 pack, i could probably sleep on broken glass.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:09 AM

I just wanted to add that if anyone winds up getting an Exped pad, this is a worthy addition: https://www.rei.com/product/829645/e...nozzel-pumpbag

Maybe things are better now, but mine is an older version and comes with a tiny inflation device. The schnozzel bag makes pumping the mattress up way quicker and easier.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Reminds me of Ensolite (sp?), the miracle technology of an earlier age. Half length, about 5/8 of an inch thick. Slept on snow. Put some of your gear under your legs and feet to keep them warm. I'm not so sure I could do that today.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:38 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
Car camping only.....something foam rather than an inflatable. Maybe 2-3 inch memory foam...
Bingo. Forget inflatables if you’re not concerned with space. Best nights sleep I got was with a 4” folding pad. I bought on amazon but it’s not being sold there anymore. But plenty of choices. I have a full size and single.

https://www.amazon.com/SLEEPLACE-04T...1637705&sr=8-8

Simmons roll up pad was nice as well, but not as comfortable as a 4”.

https://www.amazon.com/Simmons-Beaut...ns+roll&sr=8-3

Trust me, air mattresses are fine if you need the space, but like fat bike tires, air pressure needs to be set exactly right and always be prepped for the mysterious air leak at 2am.