Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2015, 07:46 AM
Randomhead

heh, that ESPN article is silly. What do they weigh the balls with, a watt balance?
Old 01-21-2015, 07:56 AM
Windrider

OT - Patriots, again- say it aint so Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
the cheating that bugs me the most is pass interference when a db is beaten, especially late in the game when a score could change the winner.

I'm sure that if the Colts thought the ball inflation was wonky they could have complained during the game. I just can't see this leading to the kind of butt-kicking that the Colts got

I'm not a Pats fan, but when they had the chance to shut up those damn undefeated Dolphins, I was rooting for them. Hated that team then and I still hold out hope someone will go undefeated. I'd even be willing to have it be the Cowboys, and my favorite team is whoever is playing the Coyboys this week

Since each offense has its own balls, how exactly would the colts have known to complain? They finally noticed on the INT,

"One of the largest obstacles to seeing truth......is wanting something too much."
Old 01-21-2015, 08:01 AM
Windrider

OT - Patriots, again- say it aint so Bill

It's now being reported that the NFL has found 11 of the 12 PATs balls were under inflated by 15%. Sure total coincidence.

"One of the largest obstacles to seeing truth......is wanting something too much."
Old 01-21-2015, 08:31 AM

My god

huge pats fan here and just can't fathom this... itd be one thing if they were all like .5psi below the limits, but an average of 2psi below the lower limit is just huge...

it will be interesting to see what happens. Bill has definately tarnished his image yet again and the Pats will be even more hated...
Old 01-21-2015, 08:35 AM

Wilson owns SRAM, that's what happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len J View Post
It's now being reported that the NFL has found 11 of the 12 PATs balls were under inflated by 15%. Sure total coincidence.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy337 View Post
huge pats fan here and just can't fathom this... itd be one thing if they were all like .5psi below the limits, but an average of 2psi below the lower limit is just huge...

it will be interesting to see what happens. Bill has definately tarnished his image yet again and the Pats will be even more hated...
Agree 100%. It's a shame. Hopefully there isn't anythig nefarious going on but often times the simplest explanation is the most likely, and it sure seems simplest that the balls were tampered with.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:05 AM
not banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len J View Post

We all do know that basic science tells us the ball is going to lose air in cold weather. This is why you have to pump up your tires more in cold weather versus warm weather. Here, let me have a NFL kicker explain it to you

http://www.hypun.com/meme/5701/Graha...Flat_Footballs

Probably the reason 11 of 12 were under inflated, by about 1.2 psi, is cause they were all effected by the weather - not because they were all tampered with.

Complaining about this as proof as cheating is about up there with saying Lance cheated cause he aged his tubulars in some basement in France.

Last edited by velomonkey; 01-21-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:10 AM
Everything is connected

Now they are saying that the balls were made by Veloflex and rebranded as Wilson...the air loss makes sense to me now.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:25 AM

This is so much more than a Patriots thing:
http://nesn.com/2015/01/bucs-qb-brad...r-bowl-xxxvii/

There is a video on nfl.com somewhere showing the ball boys during the Panthers-Vikings game earlier this year warming up the balls because it was so cold out...a clear violation of the rules and yet this blows up because its the Patriots.

Bull·····, the NFL is a cutthroat league and this happens all the time.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:27 AM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose8 View Post
Agree 100%. It's a shame. Hopefully there isn't anythig nefarious going on but often times the simplest explanation is the most likely, and it sure seems simplest that the balls were tampered with.
Yup, annoying as I just want to root for my team. My brother (Ravens fan) will be all over me. No matter if they win or lose the Super Bowl, the ball thing will be a subscript. It does make me wonder if they even checked the Colts balls. But yeah, sucks overall and it certainly seems as if they tampered with the balls.

Whelp, I'll just go back to focusing on the Bruins. At least I'm pretty sure they don't add lead to the puck.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:29 AM
Lost at sea...

Location: East of Pittsburgh (but I left my heart in Seattle)
Quote:
Originally Posted by velomonkey View Post

Probably the reason 11 of 12 were under inflated, by about 1.2 psi, is cause they were all effected by the weather - not because they were all tampered with.

Complaining about this as proof as cheating is about up there with saying Lance cheated cause he aged his tubulars in some basement in France.
I'm sure the balls supplied by the Colts must have been over-inflated because we know NE would never cheat in a football game.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:34 AM
not banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeTSquirrel View Post
I'm sure the balls supplied by the Colts must have been over-inflated because we know NE would never cheat in a football game.

So the evidence of cheating is "spygate" which wasn't cheating as much as it was Beleichick thumbing his nose at the NFL and some deflated balls.

You might as well complain that the Colts locker room was served sour grapes while you're at it.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:38 AM
not banished

Science

"The pressure of a gas of fixed mass and fixed volume is directly proportional to the gas's absolute temperature."

So P/T = Constant

For comparing the same substance under two different sets of conditions, the law can be written as:

P1/T1 = P2/T2

I'm also going to do this in Metric to avoid other potential errors. And I apologize that I am 20 years from doing this sort of work

12.5psi = 86.18kPa ( kilo Pascals)
75F=23.89C = 297.04K
30F=-1.11C = 272.04K

So
86.18/297.04 = P2/272.04

0.29= P2/272.04

P2=78.93kPa

78.93kPa= 11.45PSI

Temperature change from 75 to 30 degrees would result in the balls losing 1 pound of pressure per square inch.

Why don't you all complain that the Pats did a rain dance prior to the game.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:59 AM
Classics Fan

As someone else said, why are the teams allowed to handle the balls at all after they are inspected by the officials?

The NFL and broadcasters are loving this. I'll bet a waterbottle that by next season (and maybe even by the superbowl) the ball inspection is going to be recorded, probably broadcast, sponsored by someone, and provide a segue into another block of commercials in the pre-pre-game.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomonkey View Post
We all do know that basic science tells us the ball is going to lose air in cold weather. This is why you have to pump up your tires more in cold weather versus warm weather. Here, let me have a NFL kicker explain it to you

http://www.hypun.com/meme/5701/Graha...Flat_Footballs

I'm pretty sure that the NFL understands that...and I'm pretty sure that the change was abnormally large or it would never have even noticed in the first place.

I'll ask again - do you think there's a reason that this stuff happens with NE and not other teams? Please give an answer other than they're picking on us or jealous.

FYI - if this is found to have legs, i think Belicheck should receive a life time ban, the pats should be fined a first round pick in two consecutive drafts and we should consider the asterisk for past bowls.

I wonder how much stuff these scum balls AREN'T caught for.