Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2024, 10:56 AM

Mechanical Disc Brakes

I’m thinking of going from my dura Ace/GRX/garbaruk group set to SRAM AXS. However, I’ve never been a fan of working with DOT fluid so I would be going for mechanical disc brakes.

I used TRP Spyres back in the day, and they were fine. Have there been any major improvements since the spyres? Googling, it looks like juintech, Growtac, and Paul Klampers are well regarded.

Are any of these options more well regarded than the others? Klampers at $400 seem pretty expensive all things considered but I’d be willing to snag them if they are a much better experience.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane4XC View Post
I’m thinking of going from my dura Ace/GRX/garbaruk group set to SRAM AXS. However, I’ve never been a fan of working with DOT fluid so I would be going for mechanical disc brakes.

I used TRP Spyres back in the day, and they were fine. Have there been any major improvements since the spyres? Googling, it looks like juintech, Growtac, and Paul Klampers are well regarded.

Are any of these options more well regarded than the others? Klampers at $400 seem pretty expensive all things considered but I’d be willing to snag them if they are a much better experience.
In my limited experience...
JuinTec - very firm braking, especially with compressionless housing. I didn't love the feeling myself, because there was very little modulation once the pads hit the rotors. Maybe that was the housing though. The brakes themselves always did great at stopping me. I would probably buy these again.

Spyres - more recently I had these on my SSCX Crockett and they were fine. More modulation through the lever, nearly to the point of being mushy and not getting more power from more lever force. I took these off for a set of Rival AXS hydros and wouldn't go back.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
In my limited experience...
JuinTec - very firm braking, especially with compressionless housing. I didn't love the feeling myself, because there was very little modulation once the pads hit the rotors. Maybe that was the housing though. The brakes themselves always did great at stopping me. I would probably buy these again.

Spyres - more recently I had these on my SSCX Crockett and they were fine. More modulation through the lever, nearly to the point of being mushy and not getting more power from more lever force. I took these off for a set of Rival AXS hydros and wouldn't go back.
I was leaning towards Juintech. $125-140 isn’t bad for a set of calipers.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:49 AM

I have juintech 2 piston and yokazuno 4 piston on two commuters. I like them a lot. Modulation IMHO is on par with Klampers and can be had far cheaper via aliepress. While you still need to adjust pad wear by hand ( like Klampers ) they are a sealed hydro system at the caliper so both sides float and pads wear evenly.

I think they are well worth the price of admission.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:51 AM

On the low end of the price scale, I'm running a set of Spyres with TRP compressionless housing on my 650B/'gravel' bike. TRP discs, standard pads.

Pretty impressive performance for the amount invested.

Feeling no need to upgrade.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
I have juintech 2 piston and yokazuno 4 piston on two commuters. I like them a lot. Modulation IMHO is on par with Klampers and can be had far cheaper via aliepress. While you still need to adjust pad wear by hand ( like Klampers ) they are a sealed hydro system at the caliper so both sides float and pads wear evenly.

I think they are well worth the price of admission.
Alright, I’m sold. Juintech it is. The change will be a long ways down the road so I ordered from a Taiwanese shop to save a few. With Chinese new year, may be awhile before I get them.