Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Disagree. This is clearly about money, but the players want their game checks and bonuses just as much as the owners want the revenue.
Ya think?
Old 07-02-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Disagree. This is clearly about money, but the players want their game checks and bonuses just as much as the owners want the revenue.
This also impacts the salary cap in subsequent years, since it rises or declines based on prior-year league revenues. Sure, most of that is the TV broadcast deal, but gate revenue is no small chunk of that either.

The player are thinking about their wallets with this one too. Last thing free agents next summer want is a cap crunch and no bidders for their services.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Holy ****!! That’s Jokic? What happened to the rest of him? I think the fat loss will benefit his game. It’s based more on finesse than power anyway. What is he now? 245ish? Much better than 280 something.
Kind of like Elton Brand in the 2005/6 season. Came in that year with a new body and crushed it.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
Kind of like Elton Brand in the 2005/6 season. Came in that year with a new body and crushed it.
Interesting take here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelrus.../#54873b9c2cea
Old 07-31-2020, 12:15 PM

We're back!

Anyone else watch last night? thoughts?

LeBron looked pretty fresh
I would be thrilled to watch 7 games of Clips/Lakers
Never in my life did I think I would be blessed with Dwight, Javale, JR Smith and Dion Waiters on the same team.
I can't believe how bad the Clips are at rebounding. Is Trez that important?

I didn't see the Jazz/Pels. Sorry.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:20 PM
Registered (ab)User

I watched the 4th quarter of Jazz/Pelicans, then maybe 10 minutes of Lakers/Clippers. While I guess I'm thrilled to have something else to watch on TV while quarantined, there was something eerily off-putting about those empty stands.

Really happy to see Alvin Gentry setting a good example by wearing a mask for the entire game...and really surprised to see how few other folks there were.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:29 PM

where are all the Paceline hoopheads?

Jaybee? Flash? Others? watching bowling? A few expected developments:

1) TJ Warren is the leading scorer in the bubble.
2) Hottest team? Phoenix.
3) Best offensive team? Portland.

On the real tip: Milwaukee vs Dallas. Or, perhaps a better analogy Magic vs Bird 2.0 ... only better.

Giannis 34/14/5 (blocks) and Luka 36/14/19 (assists) in Dallas win. Wow.

Paul Weller weighs in: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...A1%26PC%3dDCTS
Old 08-11-2020, 10:14 AM

I'm still here. I'm enjoying the basketball when I watch, but the last 4 months have kind of reshuffled my priorities and choices of entertainment/distraction and I find myself doing a lot more reading, taking a lot more walks, spending more time tinkering with house and bike projects.

I've still got some thoughts though:

1) I really hope the Suns make it. That would be such an amazing story.
2) the dropoff from 6 in the East to the Magic and Nets is soooo bad. The Celts are going to have a way harder time with Indy/Philly (even without Simmons) than Toronto and Milwaukee
3) If the Mavs can move up to 6, I like them for a round one upset versus the Nuggets and to make things interesting versus the Clippers. Carlisle is wizard.
4) Luka is amazing, but honestly, he is James Harden with a little less scoring craft. I know people hate Harden and don't want to admit this, but there is more stylistically similar between then two than different, and a lot of the differences can be traced to their respective basketball ecosystems.
5) Assuming the Rockets get past the Thunder (and I think that would be a really interesting series), I think there is a coin-flip chance they could beat the Lakers. LA is relying on old LeBron and AD (who hasn't really ever played a meaningful NBA game in his life) and don't have a reliable third scorer nor are they equipped to defend the Rockets' 5-out style.
6) Milwaukee over the Clips in 6.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:53 AM

I'm looking forward to the Kawhi-less Raptors against Kawhi in the finals.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW87 View Post
I'm looking forward to the Kawhi-less Raptors against Kawhi in the finals.
Totally possible - that defense is amazing!! I do worry a little bit about their ability to generate offense in the halfcourt during crunchtime - is that Pascal, is it Lowry, is it Gasol dealing from the top of the key?
Old 08-11-2020, 09:09 PM

Damian Lillard has reached the Steph Curry point where you just can't play drop coverage against him. Bring your big up, trap, whatever, even if it yields a 4 on 3 situation. At least then youre facing mid range pull-ups and floaters instead of letting him torch you.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Damian Lillard has reached the Steph Curry point where you just can't play drop coverage against him. Bring your big up, trap, whatever, even if it yields a 4 on 3 situation. At least then youre facing mid range pull-ups and floaters instead of letting him torch you.
The game tying shot with 1:30 to go was brutal. Dame is on fire—Portland might make the W finals
Old 08-11-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Dame is on a mission. And skinny Carmelo willingly at the 3 helps a ton.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:15 PM

not watching NBA this year.. no interest
Old 08-12-2020, 11:53 AM

I'm going to slow up on the Blazers possibly beating the Lakers (assuming Portland is the 8);

1) the level of effort in the bubble for teams that already know their seed is um, lacking. I think this is especially true of the Lakers.
2) they aren't blowing anyone out. they are still only beating some of these teams because Dame is going supernova
3) Collins and Nurk look to me like they are 80% back - this isn't the best version of the Blazers and I don't think we will see that until next year, depending on what Rodney Hood looks like.
4) there have only been three 8 over 1 upsets in the last 15 years: we believe warriors, grizzlies over spurs, and philly over chicago (d rose injured). Portland is a good 8 seed, but i don't see them as markedly better than say, Dallas, OKC, or Utah, none of whom I would think have a chance against either LA team.

Also, a word about CJ: He finished last night's game with a transverse lumbar fracture - I had one (actually three) of these after a car hit me in May. I pretty much barely moved for 2 weeks and I can't imagine even jogging, let alone playing basketball, and beyond that, playing NBA basketball well. Props, CJ.

Also, also, a word about the Spurs. The most Spurs thing that could possibly happen is that they win out, get the play-in spot, then beat Portland twice to make the playoffs. Death, Taxes, Spurs.