Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2020, 02:30 PM

Appreciate all the insight from those that have hands on experience. Sounds to me that going with the Ultras is the right choice for my needs.

Just for grins, and to tap into the collective expertise here, is there a compelling reason for me to consider going with a Bora carbon wheel? The ~$900 price of Ultras is what I had planned to spend but I could budget more if there was a good reason. I will definitely be running rim brakes, clinchers with tubes, and I value ride quality and durability as much as weight. I don't care for high profile rims (too many cross winds where I ride) so those are off the table for me as well.

I think the answer is clear that the Shamal Ultras are the perfect balance but would love to know if I'm missing something.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:56 PM

I have the current, two way fit Shamals. Great, great wheels. I do run them tubeless. They are pretty stiff, and the added comfort of tubeless is quite noticeable to me.
I almost got the Mille, mostly on looks (face it, they do look better), but worried about the black ending up streaked gray, the need for special pads (I have carbon, if I want to switch pads), and they aren't two way. Not sure what the talk about mounting tires is. I've had both tubed & tubeless on them, and never an issue.

The reason to go Bora is you want carbon. That's it. That's a good reason, but I don't think you'll notice a big difference in them. Same bearings/hubs, I believe.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:12 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

Campagnolo Shamal wheels are really fantastic. Great, strong, and reliable performers in all conditions.
As far as Ultra vs. Mille it really is not a big deal if the coating wears on the brake track.
My experience is that most people do not perceive marks on brake tracks as messy, unsightly, or neglected.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:12 PM

If you are on a budget, Zondas at half the price do not give away much noticeable difference or weight to either version of the shamals.

Going up to bora one is an upgrade to many but a downgrade in braking.

These are my opinions having owned all 3 for extended times. All great, including zondas.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msriddle View Post
If you are on a budget, Zondas at half the price do not give away much noticeable difference or weight to either version of the shamals.

These are my opinions having owned all 3 for extended times. All great, including zondas.

+1 I have to say I am Zonda's all the way & feel it is the best spot in value vs weight performance etc

Especially as you can find them for $330-$350 online delivered
Old 06-08-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msriddle View Post

When I bought my high zoot bike, the builder & I discussed wheels. He suggested Zondas, which I had never heard of. Quick search, saw the price, figured they couldn't be that good & I had to have carbon. Mistake. Not huge, since I'm happy with the carbon, but I've heard nothing but raves about the Zondas & ended up buying my girlfriend a set. She loves them. Bang for the buck, a great deal
Old 06-08-2020, 07:51 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
+1 I have to say I am Zonda's all the way & feel it is the best spot in value vs weight performance etc

Especially as you can find them for $330-$350 online delivered
I just bought some from Wiggle. $335 delivered. Ordered last Tuesday and got here to the States, today (Monday). Crazy fast delivery. Faster than some Prime orders!