Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2024, 03:00 PM
Kind of OK

Info or history on Shimano 7400 brifters (I need hoods)

From what little I've read, the ST-74xx 8 speed indexed brifters came in several flavors. I have a set and, as per usual, they are not marked with a model number. One of the hoods tore slightly when I peeled them back for tape so I would like to replace them. Did all the 74 series come with the same hood? Also, would the ultegra level hoods also fit?
Old 09-10-2024, 03:30 PM

Per the Shimano technical documents site, only one model of the ST-7400 shift/brake levers is listed. Part number for the hoods is 88B 9801-1.

https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/ev/ST...7400-1144F.pdf

The Ultegra hoods part number is different (87G 9801). There are no statements indicating they are interchangeable with the Dura Ace hoods.

Greg
Old 09-10-2024, 04:04 PM

Oooh... you're in for some fun.

There were at least two versions of the hood as there were the originals as well as those with the little bumps for the "Flight Deck" computer buttons which installed on the thumb side of the hoods. They're otherwise identical and the latter has the 88B 9801 p/n referenced above.

Be prepared to dig deep, though as they're nearly unobtanium and generally priced accordingly. For instance:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305772403685

This pair is on the inexpensive side.

When I went looking for these a couple of years ago I recall determining that the Ultegra hoods weren't compatible, but I cannot recall exactly why.

Should you buy a set of these NOS DA hoods please note that they are extremely prone to ripping along the edge that meets the bar tape, so even though they are new (and feel new) you need to use extreme care in installation.... ask me how I know
Old 09-10-2024, 04:07 PM

there's a seller on eBay who reproduces these hoods and many other "unobtanium" hoods from vintage bikes. Check out Bikeforums, they have a thread on it