Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 11-16-2020, 11:18 PM

For those that have done a swap, say from 172.5 to 165... how did your saddle position change?

Up about 5-7.5mm and back about 3-5?
Old 11-16-2020, 11:35 PM

Seems like a lot of people went a big drop (more than 2.5mm). I’ve always runs 172.5 but very interested in 170mm.

I wonder how many people are going the other way and it’s worked for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2020, 08:43 AM

What's the theory behind all of this? Or is this another thing that's going to reverse in 10 or 20 years and go back up to 172.5 and 175, or beyond?

Cancellara used 177 cranks and damn if he didn't ride well.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
What's the theory behind all of this? Or is this another thing that's going to reverse in 10 or 20 years and go back up to 172.5 and 175, or beyond?

Cancellara used 177 cranks and damn if he didn't ride well.

It's definitely trendy, but for me I get some wobble in the knees at the top of the stroke that has made me stop riding before. I was getting into a half decent position with 172.5s but was wondering if shorter cranks could help take whatever impingement/imbalance was causing that out of the equation.

I'm very much of a sprinter type so curious what the trade off will be. I'm currently getting pt for my knee/hip issues as well.

There's a YouTuber named Cam Nicholls who recently did this working with a fitter who seems to have a very good knowledge base so that might be why this is getting in vogue. I'm also hoping that it let's be get a bit more aero by allowing me to rotate my pelvis forward and not knee myself in the chest when I'm in the drops.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:10 PM

Here's one of the links to that series.

I think it's worth a watch.

https://youtu.be/yuu4Ra0OeiM
Old 11-17-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Here's one of the links to that series.

I think it's worth a watch.

https://youtu.be/yuu4Ra0OeiM
I've pretty much always ridden 172.5. I'm average height (70in / 178cm), with pretty "normal" proportions - don't have long legs, short legs, long torso, etc., that would influence crank length.

I can intuitively understand why sprinters and time trialists would want medium to long cranks, with the possible exception being long time trials.

I also understand riders who don't like their thighs coming up to their chest when tucked low riding the drops, but that's never been an issue for me.

As a third point, I've noticed that pros these days seem to ride smaller frames, with much less leg extension at the bottom of the pedal stroke, compared to the '80s and '90s when I rode a lot. Stems are often "slammed", and saddles are lower as well.

And then, of course, there's just plain personal preference. If it feel comfortable, go for it.

It's all interesting, but I don't foresee changing my own setup. Maybe I should, but I'm not racing anyone but myself these days. Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:00 PM

Wink

I've always ridden 172.5 on my road bike.

This was probably an act of desperation as much as anything else. I stopped racing and riding in college does to this same knee issue. I started feeling a bit okay on the 172.5s I was running but reading about shorter cranks being somewhat knee protective made me take the plunge to go for it. I bought a 105 crank for the trial and also bought a 4iiii left sided crankarm in the 165 length to give it a true go.

Plus, I'm hoping to race again, so getting lower would be an added bonus. I'm going to tinker with this setup for a bit. It wasn't an aha kind of moment and my knee is currently barking after a trainer session on the new cranks, but I'll give it a little time and cross my fingers. Otherwise I'll just have to go back to my old cranks and I'm okay with that I guess.

I'm 5'10 and currently about 165 lbs so it's not like I have a huge gut that's causing me to knee myself lol.