Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2019, 03:44 PM

Campy made two styles of 10 speed shifters, with the newer being ultrashift. The ultrashift can be converted to 11 speed. FWIW, I recently sold my early model ultrashift levers that were converted to 11 speed and a set of 2018 11 speed shifters. I like the new 12 speed better than either one.

The 12 speed shifters have the small hands feature that I need. I used to modify my old shifters to produce the same effect. Now I don't have to.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:46 PM

Talking

I have Record and SR 11 on my road bikes. I don’t think they are as smooth as Record 10. My friends swear that 12 is a big big improvement over 11. To be honest, I’m fine with 11 too. They are all great.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Shifting to the small chainring can require two lever pushes with the 11spd levers - the first push drops to the derailleur to the "trim" position, and a 2nd push is required to drop the drailleur all the way to the inside position.
That's only 2015 and newer...
Old 09-12-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
I have Record and SR 11 on my road bikes. I don’t think they are as smooth as Record 10. My friends swear that 12 is a big big improvement over 11. To be honest, I’m fine with 11 too. They are all great.
Agree, one thing about 11 speed is its compatible across all manufacturers! On my Madone, I'm running Sram etap 11 drivetrain with Campy Proton wheels/Chorus 12-29 11 speed cassette and it shifts flawless.

So the question that nobody seems to be able to answer is whether 12 speed has this same compatibility? Since Shimano doesn't have 12 speed for road yet, is Campy 12 compatible with Sram axs etap 12? It appears the Sram axs chain works on Campy 12 drivetrain. Can one use Sram axs drivetrain with Campy 12 cassette/wheel?

I know, Good Luck!
Old 09-12-2019, 12:50 PM

There is some info on the weight weenies forum. One poster measured the c-c spacing on the campy sprockets and came up with the same 3.48 mm that I did. He also has a sram axs cassette and posted that the overall length on the two cassettes was closer than camp/shimano 11 speed. If that's the case, then the two should be compatible. That poster never did get back to the thread with a spacing for the sram sprockets. I measure the thickness of a sprocket and the use feeler gauges to get the space between the sprockets. Add the two to get the spacing.

Another positive is that most campy/fulcrum wheels can be fitted with the xdr driver needed to use a sram axs cassette. It's a fulcrum part number.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
There is some info on the weight weenies forum. One poster measured the c-c spacing on the campy sprockets and came up with the same 3.48 mm that I did. He also has a sram axs cassette and posted that the overall length on the two cassettes was closer than camp/shimano 11 speed. If that's the case, then the two should be compatible. That poster never did get back to the thread with a spacing for the sram sprockets. I measure the thickness of a sprocket and the use feeler gauges to get the space between the sprockets. Add the two to get the spacing.

Another positive is that most campy/fulcrum wheels can be fitted with the xdr driver needed to use a sram axs cassette. It's a fulcrum part number.
So rather than getting a driver for a shimano wheel, this means that a campy 9-12 speed wheelset with a 12-speed campy cassette could be viable for 12 speed eTap?
Old 09-12-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravdg316 View Post
So rather than getting a driver for a shimano wheel, this means that a campy 9-12 speed wheelset with a 12-speed campy cassette could be viable for 12 speed eTap?
The poster came up with the sram cassette being .021 inch or .5 mm longer overall. That's a switch, since campy spacing is usually a little larger.

That means that e-tap will travel a little more than needed.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:31 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I've got 10spd Campagnolo on several bikes, and 11spd Campagnolo on one bike. Maybe my feelings are based on what I've become used to, but I actually prefer the operation and feel of the 10spd shifters.
I'm with you 100%....I'll take the 10sp over the 11sp any day. I've never tried 12sp and probably never will.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:59 PM

Hold up. You cant use CK hubs with 12speed Campag without a workaround that mixes groupsets?!?!??!
Old 09-12-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
Hold up. You cant use CK hubs with 12speed Campag without a workaround that mixes groupsets?!?!??!
I don't see where they make any campy compatible hub. Seems like narrow minded design.

If they have no campy compatible hub, then using campy 11 is also a work around.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Their hubs have a proprietary lockring and they are not releasing a 12s version.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:25 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Yup although unless ya want the sram ratio, Chorus 12s cogset is cheaper.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Campy made two styles of 10 speed shifters, with the newer being ultrashift. The ultrashift can be converted to 11 speed. FWIW, I recently sold my early model ultrashift levers that were converted to 11 speed and a set of 2018 11 speed shifters. I like the new 12 speed better than either one.

The 12 speed shifters have the small hands feature that I need. I used to modify my old shifters to produce the same effect. Now I don't have to.
I believe the levers are closer to the bars at any given hood angle right?
Old 09-12-2019, 08:10 PM

I am getting very tempted to sell a few of my mint record 10 groups in an effort to fund Chorus 12....
Old 09-12-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
It is a flange spacing issue. The cassette fitment on the drive shell is fine. The CK hub has a wider flange spacing with the drive side flange further right than a Campy hub. The 12 speed cassette has a series of “ears” protruding out the backside. It has been suggested this is over-shift protection.

With the wider flange spacing, these ears do not clear the drive side spokes on my Enve 3.4 with CK hub.

My intent is to grind the ears down a bit to create clearance.