Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2020, 08:46 PM

Clothing advice

Hey y’all. So I’m doing a lot of riding here in the SB mountains and some of it can get pretty remote. I decided it wasn’t smart to do the gravel west Camino cielo in the clouds due to the temp drop that was occurring rapidly.

I had on knickers, long sleeve jersey and thick jacket. Thankfully also a buff but short finger gloves.

Trouble is weather changes quickly at these elevations and my backpacking self wants all sorts of gear to bring, but I like to ride light.

I don’t have a lot of “high end” kits. A few sets of pactimo bibs are the extent.

What do people love for these scenarios?

Vague questions I realize...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2020, 06:19 AM

For packing light and being effective for changing conditions, I recommend a medium weight long sleeve baselayer (preferably wool zip neck type), and a simple cycling windbreaker with removable sleeves. Of course short sleeve jersey also since you will need the pockets.

A cycling windbreaker over a medium weight base layer is surprisingly warm, and as you heat up (or temp rises) just take off the sleeves and put them in a jersey pocket. As you continue to warm, take off the remaining vest part and put it in your jersey pocket. You won't need to think about removing the base layer unless it's 80°, as they (especially wool) have a wide temperature range.

You don't need to carry arm warmers, since the base layer provides that function.

For the lower extremities, I like simple leg warmers, the Performance brand in particular. Relatively cheap (about $30), and just as good as anything else out there down to 30°. They roll up and easily store in the jersey pocket.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:10 AM

Good advice above. Also think head covering. Not sure what temps you are talking, so this could be anything from a simple cycling cap to a windproof beanie. But nothing changes my temp more rapidly from hot to cold or vice versa that a good head covering. And they pack down to nothing. I like Gore's line, they have everything from head band, to beanie, to windproof front beanie.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:35 AM

You don't mention what kind of problems with the cold you encountered. The would help in offering solutions.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:44 AM

I am a SportHill man, top to bottom when it gets colder. their 3sp fabric is great. Multisport.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
I am a SportHill man, top to bottom when it gets colder. their 3sp fabric is great. Multisport.
Looks as if they have interesting stuff ... any particular items you like or find well suited to cycling?
Old 10-24-2020, 08:41 AM

Colder weather for all around use, especially xc skiing

https://www.sporthill.com/mens-xc-pant/

for tighter: https://www.sporthill.com/mens-3sp-dura-saga-tight/

take care washing
Old 10-24-2020, 08:45 AM

Lightweight packable jacket goes a long way, even just on top of short sleeve jersey and bibs. As does riding fast and not stopping.

Also, around that area, a lot of times it's actually warmer at the high elevation there because you get above the fog. Last weekend I was biking around SLO, and in 5 miles climbing up from the coast to about 1000 ft, the temperature went up nearly 20 degrees. Storms can definitely blow in atop camino cielo, but if halfway up, you're stuck in the middle of some thick fog, your salvation might just be waiting for you at the top.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:04 AM

In changing weather, a good base layer is most important. You don't want to feel wet.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:23 AM

When I was living in Los Olivos over the last five years, my "cold" kit was:
  • A good baselayer (Patagonia capilene t-shirt, fitted, worked for me)
  • Thin full-finger gloves (Manzella)
  • Toe covers or booties
  • "Arm warmers" but cut from an Under Armor long sleeve top, connecting over the shoulders and neck like a women's "shrug" top. I have skinny arms and regular arm warmers always fell down.
  • skullcap
All the removable stuff fit in one jersey pocket.

For "winter" conditions, add:
  • superlight packable jacket (Craft or Castelli)
  • tights
  • trade out a long sleeve baselayer (Craft)
  • superlight balaclava (REI; not usually worn as a balaclava but rather doubled-up for two layers over the ears and one layer over the top of the head)

Last edited by mhespenheide; 10-24-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:56 AM

https://us.assos.com/mille-gt-wind-j...er=M&color=205

It's light weight, but really adds warmth, particularly if you are descending fast by keeping the wind out.

I have issues with my hands, so really need warm gloves.

In the past I wore knickers, but the lately, the spring-fall weight bibs + knee warmers, or full leg warmers add a lot more versatility. Throw in arm warmers for upstairs.

I also usually wear a heavier weight sock, just to keep my toes warm.
I prefer Craft or Odlo base layers.

I have an old North Face skull cap, which is super small, and packable. With this set up, you could leave home in a short sleeve jersey in bibs, with everything in your back pockets just fine.

You'd be able to run this down to 45 maybe slightly cooler depending on your own preference.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 10-24-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:35 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Lightweight packable jacket goes a long way, even just on top of short sleeve jersey and bibs. As does riding fast and not stopping.
The goretex Shakedry was a game changer for me over the last few years. With that, I can adapt to temperature changes from 50s to 80s, wearing more or less what I normally wear for the summer except plus leg warmers and a pair of lightweight full fingered gloves I got from Costco.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:55 PM

+1 to Shakedry. It blocks all wind, yet breathes really well. Cannot be beat for changing conditions if you can live with the compromises (zero stretch, mostly/all black, cannot wear a hydration or backpack over it.)

Also a favorite: Assos lobster glove covers. Windproof and adds a lot of warmth for the same reason. Fantastic for lonng cold descents.

A buff and a skull cap (I like Mountain Hardwear Butter Beanie - you can pull it over your ears) are also small and will keep the really cold fog off your skin.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylegs View Post
Hey y’all. So I’m doing a lot of riding here in the SB mountains and some of it can get pretty remote. I decided it wasn’t smart to do the gravel west Camino cielo in the clouds due to the temp drop that was occurring rapidly.

I had on knickers, long sleeve jersey and thick jacket. Thankfully also a buff but short finger gloves.

Trouble is weather changes quickly at these elevations and my backpacking self wants all sorts of gear to bring, but I like to ride light.

I don’t have a lot of “high end” kits. A few sets of pactimo bibs are the extent.

What do people love for these scenarios?

Vague questions I realize...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went riding up Gibraltar for the first time this morning, hoping for a break in the clouds. Surprisingly as the morning went on it only got colder, foggier and wetter! Thankfully the descent was beautiful enough to distract me for a bit, but I was shivering by the time I got to my car. I'm also interested in how people deal with rapidly changing weather.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2020, 07:57 AM

Thanks y’all! The buff helped tremendously for sure and I should up my game with a more wind proof one...

I think better jacket and base layer should be my next purchase.

What do we love for wool base layer? Sounds like it will unlikely be too hot for before I get into the mountains?

Finally, anybody have experience with pactimo jackets and long sleeve jerseys? I love their bibs...