Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 11:50 AM

Campagnolo compact 11s crankset woes

I am looking for advice on crankset options for a bike I am taking to the Apls in July this year. I'm a larger rider (195lb) and won't pretend I'm strong enough to push the gears I currently have on my bike (53/39, 177.5mm cranks and 12-25 cassette) on these climbs.

I'm running pre-2015 Campy SR11. I'll be changing the cassette to 12-29. Changing the crankset has been a bit more complicated as standard crank ring BCD (135mm) is different than compact BCD (110 with 112mm weird bolt). So a ring swap is not possible. Other Campy compact (50/34) cranksets are $$$ in the new or used market. I'm looking into the Potenza group crankset (50/34, 175mm) as an option, but am not in love with the 4 arm look and prefer the Ultra Torque design.

Any other suggestions?

Will the Campy 10 speed era cranks work with an 11s drivetrain or are the rings spaced differently?
Other brands that work well with Campy 11?
BTW, my FD is a chorus standard + compact compatible unit.

Thanks!!!
Old 03-18-2019, 12:00 PM
il Curmudgeoni

You can use a 10sp crank with 11sp....I have an older Record alloy on my 11sp bike and it shifts fine.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:02 PM

Most drivetrains are fairly agnostic when it comes to exactly matching the rest of the drivetrain. In general, 11spd drivetrains work just fine with 10spd cranks, and vice versa (and even mixing brands rarely creates adverse results).

As for Campagnolo 5 arm vs. 4 arm cranks, here's a few extra tidbits:

As you've mentioned, Campagnolo uses a special 110/112 compact BCD, which is not directly compatible with other 110 BCD cranks. But also, there are incompatibilities between chainrings in different groupsets: Chainrings for Record/Chorus 5 arm compacts are not interchangeable with lower level groups (and most aftermarket chainrings are designed for Record/Chorus cranks). In contrast, all 4 arm chainrings are interchangeable between groups.

For 2018, the Potenza crankset uses an Ultra Torque spindle/BB.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:07 PM

A Praxis compact or subcompact could be a option, currently running this with Campy 11 with no problems
Old 03-18-2019, 12:09 PM
formerly Landshark_98

I think most 11 speed cranksets play fine with other 11; that was my experience when I road exclusively campy and has been my experience using WI, Easton and FSA cranks with Shimano.

Other noncampy options to consider: White Industries will get you 177.5 and various chainring combos . (depending on where you are going and how strong you are you might want something lower than a 34-29 (I did Alps trip with that combo 15 years ago and was fine but now at 60 I was happy to have a 34-34 last year; 20+ kilometer climbs - nice to be able to spin a bit easier). If you go to 175mm then lots of options open (and another way to go if you want to keep a smaller cassette would be the WI or Easton SL cranks with a 48/32).
Old 03-18-2019, 12:17 PM

Thanks so far.

I'm not married to 177.5 and am looking for 175 (always felt they were a bit long for non-TT riding).

would prefer Campy (and carbon), mainly for aesthetics...kinda dumb. but I can see how that would limit my options as I don't want to spend $400 on a crankset. I also need to stick with cranksets with spindles for standard BSA threaded BB cups.

I'd absolutely change to a larger max cassette cog than 29, but then I'd have to change my RD as well (29T is limit currently, I think). Right?
Old 03-18-2019, 12:23 PM

Add a "tripleizer" chainring to your research for possibilities, that can replace a 144bcd inner ring and makes it possible to add a 74bcd granny, err "mountain beast" third chainring. I haven't used one so I don't know if it would work with your campy 11 crank (probably needs a longer BB spindle, but it would work with a 10sp square taper crank with a longer spindle).
http://www.redclovercomponents.com/s..._42_Teeth.html

A White Industries 11 sp compact would look and work fine with the rest of your Campy drivetrain.
http://www.whiteind.com/r30

Or...

Sugino sub-compact OX 901D. Yep, it's Japanese. You say pasta, I say Ramen...

Nice, highly polished (better than Potenza), modern ramps and pins and spacing for 11sp. Mountain-friendly gearing as low as 30X46. The logos come off with acetone if that bothers you, otherwise it's gorgeous IMO (and I have one in 32X48t, shifts flawlessly). Worthy addition/modification to a Campy-burdened real-world bike that gets ridden in real terrain.
https://alexscycle.com/products/sugi...-plus-crankset
Old 03-18-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Thanks so far.

I'm not married to 177.5 and am looking for 175 (always felt they were a bit long for non-TT riding).

would prefer Campy (and carbon), mainly for aesthetics...kinda dumb. but I can see how that would limit my options as I don't want to spend $400 on a crankset. I also need to stick with cranksets with spindles for standard BSA threaded BB cups.

I'd absolutely change to a larger max cassette cog than 29, but then I'd have to change my RD as well (29T is limit currently, I think). Right?
You should check the classifieds. Some of us are selling that exact thing for way less than $400.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:37 PM
Administrator

for note:

current potenza and even centaur cranksets are both ultra-torque. campy abandoned the power-torque standard and all currently available cranks at UT.

you can run, as has been mentioned a 10-sp era crank without issue with 11-sp.

White industries has the R30 crank now, which i think looks pretty good aesthetically with a modern campy drivetrain, so maybe consider that one too.

have fun in the alps!
Old 03-18-2019, 12:40 PM
aka RAEKWON

on the cheap, I would look for a praxis alba used on ebay (around $100). 48/32 and the cassette you bought will be pretty good.

For even lower gear you could get an 11-32 cassette and give it a shot, if doesn't work you can get a wolftooth road link.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:57 PM
Viva Chamucos

Check classifieds. I picked up exactly what you were looking for about 6 months ago. Beautiful condition and under $175 as I remember. Someone here likely has that exact crank sitting in a closet just waiting for you.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have indeed browsed the classifieds, nothing of late still FS.

I'd post WTT and WTB ads, but am still a "new" user I guess and do not have classified access...

So, if anyone wants to trade compact 175mm, 5 arm Campy SR11 crankset for the same model in standard 53/39 with 177.5 arms, I'm your man (I'll even throw in a ITA threaded external cup BB)!
Old 03-18-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have indeed browsed the classifieds, nothing of late still FS.

I'd post WTT and WTB ads, but am still a "new" user I guess and do not have classified access...

So, if anyone wants to trade compact 175mm, 5 arm Campy SR11 crankset for the same model in standard 53/39 with 177.5 arms, I'm your man (I'll even throw in a ITA threaded external cup BB)!
Not to toot my own horn, buuuuut....

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=235063
Old 03-18-2019, 07:11 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post

And with that, problem solved for the OP!
Old 03-18-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post

Indeed I missed that!
Can you PM a pic or 2?
Thanks