Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post

...If I'm not mistaken, one Merckx Litespeed built ti frame had nice horizontal rear drop outs....EX model? Also ovalized tube(s).
Yes, the EX model. I have one, and still ride it regularly. (You can see it at the link below.)

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...t=90871&page=8
Old 03-18-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
From what I've seen re-branded Ti frames made by Litespeed often were made with different features and specifications, but generally had Litespeed level of build quality. In contrast, there were many re-branded Ti frames by Sandvik that had serious quality deficiencies.
AFAIK Sandvik manufactures Ti tubing, and tubing decals with their name on them, but has never built frames. Ti requires specialized (no pun intended) equipment, processes and skill sets, Oxygen-free during the weld process and no cold setting are obviously complicating factors. I think the entire pre-carbon, post-cold war industry kind of went through a painful learning curve with Ti. FWIW, sample size of one, I still occasionally ride a TST (one of the larger American- made re-branders) frame made of straight gauge Sankvik tubing and the welds, to my untrained eye, look at least as good as any Litespeed or Lynskey frame I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot. But of course there's lots more to quality than precision welds, like design, tubing choice etc.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
AFAIK Sandvik manufactures Ti tubing, and tubing decals with their name on them, but has never built frames. Ti requires specialized (no pun intended) equipment, processes and skill sets, Oxygen-free during the weld process and no cold setting are obviously complicating factors. I think the entire pre-carbon, post-cold war industry kind of went through a painful learning curve with Ti. FWIW, sample size of one, I still occasionally ride a TST (one of the larger American- made re-branders) frame made of straight gauge Sankvik tubing and the welds, to my untrained eye, look at least as good as any Litespeed or Lynskey frame I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot. But of course there's lots more to quality than precision welds, like design, tubing choice etc.
TST and Sandvik are often used interchangeably. I believe the distinction is Sandvik makes the tubes and TST does the welding into actual bikes, but I also believe TST is the primary welder of "Sanvik" bikes, or they are sibling companies. When someone says "this is a Sandvik frame" I take it to mean TST did the welding. When they provide tubing to other companies I almost never hear of it with the final product, only the actual welder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
From what I've seen re-branded Ti frames made by Litespeed often were made with different features and specifications, but generally had Litespeed level of build quality. In contrast, there were many re-branded Ti frames by Sandvik that had serious quality deficiencies.
I have never seen or heard of issues with TST frames. I've owned Fujis, Deans and others who rebranded them. In my experience they're not as light or subtly welded as the higher end brands but never any failures.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:09 PM

Can't find a picture but I had one of the Mongoose branded TST/Sanvik frames that I purchased on closeout from Nashbar. I road the heck out of it for several years until I sold it. They were square frames with 1" HT and DT shifters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
TST and Sandvik are often used interchangeably. I believe the distinction is Sandvik makes the tubes and TST does the welding into actual bikes, but I also believe TST is the primary welder of "Sanvik" bikes, or they are sibling companies. When someone says "this is a Sandvik frame" I take it to mean TST did the welding. When they provide tubing to other companies I almost never hear of it with the final product, only the actual welder.

I have never seen or heard of issues with TST frames. I've owned Fujis, Deans and others who rebranded them. In my experience they're not as light or subtly welded as the higher end brands but never any failures.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
Can't find a picture but I had one of the Mongoose branded TST/Sanvik frames that I purchased on closeout from Nashbar. I road the heck out of it for several years until I sold it. They were square frames with 1" HT and DT shifters.
I acquired one last fall for a great price from local CL. I usually like to start with a frameset, and then acquire the parts for a full build myself, but this was a complete titanium bike with Dura Ace 7700 parts so I couldn't resist.

Mine is a 1999 version and the frame is polished. The welds are beautifully done, as good as my Litespeed and Lemond Ti. I'm currently making a few parts changes to it, and then maybe I'll post some pics here.